X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin_McC
    • Jan 2003

Static Electricity?

I don't know about everyone else, but I've been experiencing alot of static shocks when ever I touch light switches, my equipment rack and even my gear.

I realized yesterday that they must be pretty strong shocks because yesterday I got shocked by line voltage (don't ask) for the first time in a long time and it didn't seem as strong as some of the zaps I've felt from the static discharges. 8O

Anybody else experiencing this? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to alleviate the static buildup?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Winter time is usually a bad time for static since the humidity lower. Adding a humidifier to the apartment should help with some of that static...either that or take an extra long shower :LOL:

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Like Andrew said, get a humifier and get some moisture in the air. Static is not only a pain in the butt but it can damage your gear too.

In a pinch you can always boil a pot of water on the stove to get some moisture in the air.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
      My HT Site

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

That explains my recent bad hair days!

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Kevin_McC
          • Jan 2003

What's funny about this is I do have a humidifier. It's built into the furnace and has a sensor to monitor the amount of moisture in the air. The whole system is maintained by a HVAC service company, so I'm pretty sure it's working correctly, but just in case I also have a portable one I can take down stairs and plug in to see if that helps.

Comment

• dsmith
            • Jan 2003

Obviously you are not properly grounded. A high energy guy like you need to wear a UL approved grounding strap at all times.

dsmith

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

That explains my recent bad hair days!
              That my friends, is just good classic Sili. (Not available in all stores at all times, but discounted frequently!) In the hands of a great looking blonde, he just becomes... you got it. Sili Putty. :LOL:

I have little trouble at home myself now. But I depend upon remotes more for system control, to minimize my contact.

Wear a grounding strap all the time. ha, good one Don. Is it ok, if we nickname you Smitty?

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin_McC
                • Jan 2003

Maybe I could buy a huge roll of static mat material and create sort of a red carpet treatment through out the house, using the most common walkways. It would be more like grey or brown vinyl, not very appealing to the eye.

I thought about the grounding strap idea, but it would have to be very long and someone might trip over it when I'm in a different part of the house.

Then there's the static cling dryer sheets, maybe if I wrapped myself in those or just made little boots & gloves out of them to wear around the house?

I think they make a spray solution similar to the cling sheets, I could buy enough to treat all the carpets. Hmmm, I wonder if it would stain?

I guess I'll just make sure to discharge myself before touching the electronics for now.

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

Well, if you could find an extra-extra-large version of the static bag that computer cards are shipped in, you could enclose yourself within the bag!

Or just get some cans of Static Guard and spray the carpets with it daily. That might help. And make sure your humidifier is working. It might need a new filter, or you have it turned down too low.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                  My HT Site

Comment

• dsmith
                    • Jan 2003

I never cared for "Smitty," but plain "Smith" is ooookaaay. When I was in high school we often called close friends by just their last name.

dsmith

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Sili Putty? Ouch, I'm calling the Humor Police!

The whole system is maintained by a HVAC service company

Kevin, have the service guy/gal bump your moisture level up a percent or two and see if it helps.

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Kevin_McC
                        • Jan 2003

I discovered the cause of my static problems. I'm almost too embarrased to tell you. ops:

You see, back during the holiday season while I was shopping for gifts I came across these really comfortable slippers to wear around the house, so I bought them and have been wearing them ever since. Which pretty much was when I started encountering static problems, but I didn't think much of it because that's when it started getting really cold and the so the furnace started running more often. I just attributed the static to the furnace and dryness of the gas heat.

The more I thought about it the more I realized I was the only one in the house having the problem. I did a quick test the other night and sure enough if I don't wear them no shocks, but as soon as I put them on and touch anything grounded, WHAM.

Since doing the little experiment I've been trying to get used to not wearing them while touching the gear.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"