• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Another shocking experience

Hi all,
    This is my first post to this forum, so a big high to all.
    I'm a Rotel/B&W guy and am very happy with my setup.
    Recently I got two small static shocks from my RSX-1055 when turning on or off, I can't remember. Never happened before.

Now I should mention that I recently purchased a Monster power bar - the THX one.

I should point out that I don't buy into the whole THX thing and don't really want to get in to a discussion about it's pros and cons.

Why did I buy it?, well I needed additional sockets and in Ireland there isn't a lot of choice for power cleaning products.

It looked and felt well made but as an equipment manufacturer, Monster does
    not really do much for me, but how much could they mess up a power bar.

I'm a little concerned about this and it should be pointed out that prior to the introduction of the power bar, my kit was connected directly to the wall.

I know I read somewhere on HT where other guys experienced static, but where does that all fit in with the powerbar?

Thanks and looking forward to more posts.....

V.
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.
  • Bostonears
    • Mar 2004

Winter = lower humidity = static shocks. Probably not related to the power conditioner.

But why touch the RSX-1055 at all? That's what remote controls are for.

Comment

• benny
      • Jan 2005

^What he said. It's the dry climate and yes, many including myself, have experienced this. Also helps just to leave the gear on all the time, use remote for features and not powering on/off. That's what works best for me anyways...

Comment

• cfrahme52
        • Aug 2005

Once we start heating the house during the winter (upstate NY) it is very dry inside. We run a humidifier around the clock. I used to get quite spectacular static discharges touching my stereo gear. Once a shock caused my RC1090 to power off. (No damage.) I seemed to have solved it by using one of these made for computer keyboards:

Five minutes to install and no static shocks since.
        Charlie

Comment

• Alloroc
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by benny
          ^What he said. It's the dry climate and yes, many including myself, have experienced this. Also helps just to leave the gear on all the time, use remote for features and not powering on/off. That's what works best for me anyways...

Humidity is not my problem. I live in Ireland and dry winters in not a thing we generally experience. Let me refine that, dry any season is not something we experience! Our climate is very mild and mostly damp, so it's not that.

And as for using the remote and not switching off, well that's missing the point altogether. Static shocks from my Rotel can't be healthy, whaterver about me, but for the Rotel.....

I do generally leave it on, but I travel quite a bit and when I do so, even for a couple of days I will always power off.

Anyhow, I might replace the power lead with somthing more upmarket to see.

Thanks,

Vincent.
          Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• bleeding ears
            • Nov 2004

Alloroc, is it possible the static shock you get is coming from you and not the units?

If you have carpet and get a build up of static in your body that is not discharged thru the floor, when touching metal you will/could a shock.

If this only happens when switchig on / off then maybe that is when the discharge occurrs.

Try touching something well grounded before touching the on off switch and see if it keeps occurring.

Could be wrong but could be right

Pete

Comment

• benny
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Alloroc
              And as for using the remote and not switching off, well that's missing the point altogether.
              Remote gives you ability to do everything, INCLUDING but not limited to, turning the unit on/off WITHOUT having to touch your gear. I can see where I "missed the point altogether". Good luck. :W

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"