X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sony TA-E9000ES upgrade kit available in USA

Kit includes, CD-ROM softare upgrade, null modem cable, and new one-way remote. Pre-order pricing available. Unit availability beginning November according to Sony USA rep.

"Standard Disclaimer" no I don't work for, or have any financial interest in Sony or Planet audio. Nor do any of my relatives. :B

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

Ahhh, but do you own stock? lol.

Lex

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

As it says "no financial interest" :B

This kit has been available in Japan since Sept. of 1999, but no one knew about it. There has been a big write-in campaign to Sony USA for it's release here. I don't know if this helped, but Sony certainly was getting a lot of email. And they had to answer everyone with "we don't know anything about this kits existance" So we were kind enough to provide them with pictures and a product description.

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lexman
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2000

rofl, isn't the internet great for shaking things up? hehe.

I should have used the internet for better response from Sony on my computer I bought less than 1 year ago.

In fact, I think I will call them right now!

Lex

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

great news I want a 9000 now more then ever.

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I do not own this unit however, this is great news. It is refreashing to see a company go this distance for the consumer. And at a very reasonable cost.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

John H

It took a vitual landslide of email, phone calls, and just plain harassment to get this released.

That combined with the help of an American stationed in Japan, that ordered the kit locally and gave us the specs, pics, and ammo we needed to confront Sony USA. Our next target is Sony Europe

There's also a Sony add-on processor that has been sold in Europe. It provides stereo analog by-pass, 2-5.1 inputs and other treats. It's called the TA-P9000ES. Now we're going to try to bring it into the US. $500-$600USD

Looks like I'm going to get a good return on my $1100 initial investment.

Hell hath no fury like a Sony owner, with worldwide internet friends :B

theAudioWorx
              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

ThomasW,
                Wow, that was alot of leg work But worth it! Your investment is paying off.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Phil Rose
                  • Aug 2000

Thomas,

I saw the post and description of the P9000ES and was wondering if you would replace your Marchand passive with that if it became available. It seems that some kind of anlog switching would be needed to connect several stereo analog sources.

Also, have you heard anything from Sony directly on the V2.XX upgrade on pricing and availabilty? Planet Audio seems like the only source now or are there more?

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Hi

The Marchand PR-41 will stay for "pure audio" 2 channel use. I currently use a passive DIY switch between the PR-41 and Sony unit. So I'd just make a larger version. The mini-toggles available from RS have silver contacts and are very good quality. I use a plastic chassis and individual ground wires to avoid hum problems.

Sony itself has still not acknowledged to us that this product even exists. There is a Sony site that tracks product/part numbers. It just drawns a blank when the item number is entered. If a call is placed to the 800 number, they too are clueless. Go figure!

If Planet Audio can get it then probably any major Sony retail store with a brain can as well.

Planet is giving anyone that pre-orders a good deal, 20% off as a pre-order special. Planet will ship units the same day they are received. And customers will be emailed a confirmation and UPS tracking number.

Also I just emailed Jose @ Planet to see if he could track down any P9000ES for U.S. customers. He probably won't know until sometime nest week.

theAudioWorx
                    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

The upgrade kit arrived, I "flashed" the firmware and ran my favorite "test". This is an unfair test, but it provides a good indication of the state of the technologies. The TA-E9000ES is fed a audio signal from a Sony DVP-S7000. This is compared to a Sony SCD-777ES running into a passive pre/amp that uses Shallco stepped attenuators. Both "pre/amps" feed a custom passive switch box that chooses either source, then feeds a triamped loudspeaker system driven by multiple Aragon 8008BBs

These are the "mains"

This is the sub

What does it sound like with the upgrade?????

Well it's interesting. Obviously since the 9000ES lacks analog bypass the signal has the distinct sonic characteristic of any digital processor. But the engineers at Sony are doing a pretty good job with their digital processing. There was a significantly lower noise floor when upgrading to the V1.18c. There isn't a major difference with the new V2.01 kit. The noise floor may be lower but it's not a "dramatic" reduction like the previous upgrade.

The remote is handy but "cheap". However it's great to have the codes for programming a Pronto easily accessed from the one-way device.

The upgrade CD makes "flashing" system easier than with previous versions. The upgrade took 5min 41sec on my old 550Mhz Pentium system.

Do was it worth the $$$, time and effort?

Sure

I'll checkout the various new soundfields later today and report back.

BTW, due to being "flamed" on another forum Planet Audio isn't accepting additional orders for the kit. But http://www.oade.com does have the kits

theAudioWorx
                      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

thomas let us know what you think of the new 6.1 DSP mode...

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Didn't get the opportunity to do soundfield testing last noc. Here's a copy of the pertinent text from the "Read_me" file, regarding the changes in the V2.0 upgrade

Additional Functions in Version 2.0 for the TA-E9000ES

1. Digital Cinema Sound Function additions (7 modes)
                          CINEMA STUDIO EX A (*1)
                          CINEMA STUDIO EX B (*1)
                          CINEMA STUDIO EX C (*1)
                          VIRTUAL MATRIX 6.1 (*2)
                          SEMI C.STUDIO EX A (*1)
                          SEMI C.STUDIO EX B (*1)
                          SEMI C.STUDIO EX C (*1)
                          *1: When this mode is selected, the EQ Bank function is not operative.
                          Within the set parameters of this mode, the surround equalizer settings
                          (bass, mid, treble) are the same as the following modes:
                          CINEMA STUDIO EX A == VIRTUAL THEATER A
                          CINEMA STUDIO EX B == VIRTUAL THEATER B
                          CINEMA STUDIO EX C == VIRTUAL THEATER C
                          SEMI C.STUDIO EX A == V.SEMI THEATER A
                          SEMI C.STUDIO EX B == V.SEMI THEATER B
                          SEMI C.STUDIO EX C == V.SEMI THEATER C
                          *2: In Virtual Matrix 6.1 mode, the surround equalizer function is not operative.

2. Speaker Setup Menu Function additions
                          >> LFE High-Cut 40 Hz - 200 Hz

3. Surround Setup Menu Function additions
                          >> VIRTUAL SP ON/OFF (*3)
                          >> SCREEN DEPTH OFF/MID/DEEP (*3)
                          >> SCREEN DEPTH OFF/ON (*4)
                          >> REAR ENHANCER ON/OFF (*3)
                          >> 6.1 MATRIX ON/OFF (*4)

*3: Operative for Cinema Studio EX A, B, C, and Semi-Cinema Studio EX A, B, C
                          *4: Operative for Virtual Matrix 6.1.

4. Level Setting Menu Function additions
                          >> HP Level +/-10dB function addition
                          >> The upper limit for the LFE-MIX setting range
                          has been extended from 0dB to +6 dB

5. Customize Setting Menu Function additions
                          >> ABS.PHASE NORMAL/REVERSE functions added
                          >> NOISE BAND STD/WIDE/NARROW functions added
                          >> Input function for function names added
                          (possible to load into remote controller, up to 8 lines).

6. When the power is turned on, the new version number is displayed.

NOTE: The new functions which have been added cannot be operated with the
                          two-way remote controller originally supplied with the TA-9000ES.
                          (Please use the remote controller supplied with the VUCD-E9000A Upgrade Kit
                          for the operation of the new functions.)

For further details, please refer to the supplied operation manual.

(c) 2000 Sony Corporation

theAudioWorx
                          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I created a Pronto .ccf file from ALL the buttons on the one-way remote included in the upgrade kit.

I submitted it to RemoteCentral but it won't be on their server for several days.

People interested can email me for a copy until is posted to Remote Central site

theAudioWorx
                            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• inline_phil
                              • Jan 2008

free mod-upgrade hints

I personally moded mine and it now sounds like a REAL high-end preamp. Two basic tricks: 1) change the signal-path caps (simple and <$300), 2) take out all of those nasty ground loops (highly complicated and took me about two months to actualy find them all - Sony built in several hundred - typical with a ground-plane approach in lower-end audio).

Results: transient response out the window, no more tizziness, rock solid sound stage, deep uncolored bass, dynamics are absolutely frightening at times when you are not ready, my wife says that this is the best preamp and sonic system we have ever had and I agree. I think that this is what the engineers actually designed before manufacturing got a hold of it.

I have downloaded a copy of the service manuals and the 2.5 upgrade but haven't tried to install it yet. What was your CD key number? I'd like to try it and see what difference it makes.
                              Phil

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Wow..... not one post since 2000 and then you pull this out of nowhere :B

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Wow, good info, thanks!
                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

My CD key is for the V2.01 firmware that came with the upgrade kit.

I haven't bothered with the V2.5 upgrade (it uses a different software key) since it didn't offer anything I wanted

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• atchudy
                                      • Nov 2007

How this compare to the Sony STR-DA777ES?

I have one and it seems great to me.

Why did Sony do an upgrade so late?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by atchudy
                                        Why did Sony do an upgrade so late?
                                        They did the upgrade in October of 2000, which is when this thread was first posted.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• palpha
                                          • Nov 2008

Is inline_Phil for real? Would these mods really make that significant a difference? If so, sign me up. Only problem is I don't have a clue how to make such mods. Have to find an elec saavy friend. inline_Phil, if you are still out there, can you post a little more details? Thx.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Hard to say since he posted once and hasn't been back to the forum since the day of his only post.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"