X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

THX + Lucasfilm = Divorced!

It is rumoured that Lucasfilm and THX are splitting paths. THX has began its new company called THX Limited. It is said that the spin-off will allow THX to branch out into other, "Non--film-related" business ventures. Lucasfilm is expected to retain its seat on the the new companys' board and THX expects the move to have minimal effect on the companys' dat-to-day operations. So far their has been alot of staff movement even before the spin-off.

Their has been more rumours that creative labs (of Sound Blaster Fame) is buying THX. This is said to be overstated. THX maintains that Creative Labs is one of several investors with a seat on the board - just like Lucasfilm but non will have majority share.

Source - HT mag.

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
    CLIVE

• Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I had read something about that here a while back. It will probably be a good move for THX in the long run, and perhaps for Lucas as well. Thanks for the info Clive.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Uncle Clive
      It is said that the spin-off will allow THX to branch out into other, "Non--film-related" business ventures.
      Does that mean we'll soon have THX-certified toasters and microwave ovens?

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
      My HT Site

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Nah, it means we'll soon have THX certified video cards from Creative which only play Letterboxed DVD's, no anamorphic wide screen, and there will be a built in chip to degrade the high video quality of computer DVD to discourage pirating of the RGB ouptut onto your RGB tape recorder.

(current rules, BTW, forbid you having DVD playback through a component dongle on a PC (ATI 8500) with greater than 480P resolution- supposedly as an anti-priacy measure- that you can't make a component video version of a DVD at 1280X720, or 1920X1080i). Who makes up these rules, anyway?

-Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by JonMarsh
          (current rules, BTW, forbid you having DVD playback through a component dongle on a PC (ATI 8500) with greater than 480P resolution- supposedly as an anti-priacy measure- that you can't make a component video version of a DVD at 1280X720, or 1920X1080i). Who makes up these rules, anyway?
          Since DVD's native resolution is 480p/480i anyway, this makes no sense whatsoever. So you can still make a perfect 480p copy of a DVD but not an upconverted 1080i copy? Whoopee.

BTW, THX didn't make up these rules, probably some MPAA committees came up with them...

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
          My HT Site

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

This THX - Lucas split is probably a TAX thing. I bet ol' George is still in charge.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Moving forward is about change. Let's just hope that, it is for the good.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

O.T. Looks like John's been watching Roddy Piper in They Live! :B

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Guilty as charged!!! :B

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                    Former Moderator
                    • Jan 2002

Even DUKE NUKEM used that line in one of the openners, always made me laugh! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"