X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Are we to cheap? An editorial

I just wondered, if you guys think our forum is to cheap? Well, perhaps inexpensive is a better word. It seems all the bigger forums are charging for something these days besides just a few ads. Maybe it's a membership, maybe it's special memberships to buy and sell areas,supposedly rich with great deals, maybe they just ask for donations, over, and over, and over again. Maybe it's exclusives, some do seem to love to have tying agreements with certain vendors, to prevent competition from advertising. Those deals must pay well, huh?

Heck maybe we could start charging by the post, or even accept bids for posts! So, before you post to a topic, you have to bid on the right to. If someone else wants to bid more, then you don't get to post, lol.

So, someone posts a topic, and I step in and say, can I have 5.00, give me a 5.00. Check out the pedigree of this post, ok, this thing is worth a lot! Ok, the gentleman on the left gives 5.00, thank you for your support sir!, can I get a 10? hehe. Sold to the man in the funny plaid hat for 20.00!

Perhaps a toll bridge could work. Basically, you pay a toll each time you pass the gate to get in? You leave, and come back. Oh sorry sir, we don't stamp your wrist anymore. That will be 5.00.

Relax guys, the day we have to run HTG like this will be the day it closes. No way would I nickel and dime our members like that. Notice I haven't mentioned any names. But I felt it was really time to appreciate HTG for what it is. A totally free, totally fair forum with a member base of great guys and girls, always ready to help people, without looking down on them, without flames and without fees!

Many days I think if not the best, we are the luckiest forum online. To have Mats as tech support, good speed, a reliable server, and great members like you folks, and great sponsors!

Thanks for your continued patronage. The best is yet to come. I really believe that! I am sure there are other forums, more similar to us than dissimilar. In no way do my comments apply to specific forums, and I don't want any mentioned here. But without mentioning names, I think it's a good thing to talk about our virtues as a forum, and to look positively towards the future. Yes, a future hopefully free of special fees and other unfair business practices.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Lex,

You and Mats have set up one of the choice places to be on the 'net. Personally, I'm tickled to death that we don't have to deal with 20,000+ users and/or a bunch of ego-ists. That'd definitely take a lot of the fun out of things. The gang here is getting to be more and more like an extended family to me rather than addresses on the internet, and I hope that continues.

You two should proud of what you've built.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Without naming names, I know who they are and they can keep their 20,000+ memberships. HT Guide is the place to be, and in time others like us will join the Guide. As Tex says, who needs flaming from a bunch of egotists. Some posts I read at these other forums ( yes, I visit other forums, but have good reasons) make my blood boil. One forum in particular has members that seem to take great joy in attacking newbies to home theater. It's their way of feeling superior I guess. Well give me the great folk here at the Guide anytime.
      :^x Cheers to HT Guide fellow members.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• efarstad
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2001

Well said everyone...and I am honored to get the opportunity to get to know everyone here and not only share in our passion and pursuit of our audio/video hobby but also in each other's life as well! :T For the latter is what it's all about!!!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I can not believe a forum is starting to charge its members. :?: That is totally outrageous.

To me forums are for the free exchange of information and opinions. I may not agree with your opinion, but hey you can express it any way you want. That's one thing about this forum is it has a very high quality post and response ratio. We have some great resources looking after the various areas and a great server backbone. What more could a forum ask for?

Sure I'll pop over to other forums, hey this is the internet age, but I don't have that much time and to scroll through endless nonresponses is not my idea of fun.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Greg Stone
            • Aug 2000

Well said everyone. I seem to spend less and less time on the internet lately, but my daily stop is always to HTGuide. I don't post a whole heck of a lot, but this is the only place I feel comfortable doing any of my posting anymore.

I am not an expert in ANY area of home theater, so that makes it intimidating at some other sites to ask questions or respond to a thread, so I very rarely go anywhere now other than HTGuide.

And as far as not charging, I would like to thank Doug and Mats for providing this place to us, and especially for allowing the TTP to have a home!

I would also like to say I think we have some really great members and moderators as well. So everyone keep up the good work, and the flame-free topics!

Greg's DVD's

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Thanks guys for the nice comments. Well, while I can appreciate the fact there are rising costs, as forums grow, I have heard some numbers that just seem totally unreasonable for server expenses and such.

I guess to me the bottom line is, if your trying to make your living off a forum, which means maybe you translate your monthly income as part of your expenses, your in it for the wrong reasons. That doesn't mean I don't want HTG to have more members, I do or to make a little profit, I do. But growth may come at a price, and if charging members is the price, I don't ever want 20K members.

However, success is not measured by mere numbers alone. Success is measured by the community that defines you as a forum, and based upon that premise, HTG couldn't be more successful. Thanks guys for a great first 2 years. That's right. It's just about 2 year anniversary time, isn't it?

Lex
              Doug

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

All right! When's the party?
                ;b>'> :-y ;s@ :^x

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

You're a riot, Tex. ;b>'>

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Anything I can do, in my own little way. . . :B

David - HTGuide flunky
                    Our "Theater"
                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

All I can say is, that's some definition, lol. :

Lex
                      Doug

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"