Which one would you get and why?
    I can get either +/- $100

Pat's Page
    Pat's Page
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Pat

My take on equipment at this point in my "career" is that everything except receivers and some pre/pro's should be purchased with the idea of it being an investment. With that in mind I'd suggest....

Anthem. Why? Sonic Frontiers has been around quite a while and isn't likely to fall off the face of the earth if the economy plops. Now this isn't to say that Outlaw will, but there's something to say for SF's decade of equipment building.

Also Anthem has more of an "audiophile/high-end" reputation, so resale should be better/easier, if necessary.

If you look at specs, Anthem also gives you more power, 165 for Outlaw, 200 for Anthem. You also get balanced input/output with the Anthem. This may not seem important at first but it's nice to have that as an option.

Now one last thing, 5 channel amps are 'Limiting" in their upgrade potential. They're better than a receiver, but..... A better upgrade path is to use a combination of stereo and monoblock amps. This way as you upgrade, the older amps become "hand-me-downs" for sub or effects use. Also the price of admission is spreadout. In addition if you have a channel go down you don't lose all 5 of your amps. So, I'd suggest starting with the Anthem, but starting with the MCA-2 instead of the MCA-5

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• DavidY
      • Aug 2000

Although Anthem specifies 5x200WPC, I have read that the MCA-5 actually tests at 5x170WPC at 8ohms (5x250WPC at 4ohms), all channels driven simultaneously. Based on what I have read, the Outlaw (similar to the ATI) is more likely to be more bright/forward sounding than the Anthem.

There are reviews on the Anthem and possibly the Outlaw at www.soundstage.com and www.hometheaterhifi.com

I think that someone is selling a used Outlaw 750 at HTF. One good thing about the Anthem is that you can probably audition it at a Paradigm/Sonic Frontiers dealer. Whereas, with the Outlaw, you would have to pay for shipping in order to return it (within 30 days?).

Good luck.

Dave

Comment

• Pat
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

What David said (spec. wise) is basically what I have gathered too.

Thomas...once again you have shown me the light...I guess I will just keep saving and get a used Bryston or Aragon.

Thanks for the help.

Pat's Page
        Pat's Page

Comment

• KennyG
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2000

Once you own Aragon's (8008st, or 8008X3) there's no need to ever upgrade!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"