X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Light Control?

How many of you have control of the lighting in your HT, either total or partial control, and how much of a difference do you think it makes?
  • Tom R S 4
    • Aug 2000

I have just about zero control during daylight hours. Right now for the brightest portion of the day I have less than desireable glare. Because I'm getting very close to purchasing an RPTV, I'm also getting very close to doing something with heavy drapes or something along those lines.

For a good picture, control of the lighting is very important. For the typical sit-com, it's not that important.

Tempus Fugit
    Tempus Fugit

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

I'd like some basic info on what I need to control a couple lights via my Pronto. I have two lamps (just plugged into a standard outlet). What should I buy to have my Pronto do its thing?

Thanks

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Lexman
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2000

"Control of lighting" is a two edged sword. That is, it can mean keeping out or controlling the darkness during the day with light blocking curtains and such. But it can also mean turning on/dimming via remote control.

Not sure what control Kenny was referring to, but I definitely understand Sili's request.

Sili, I can help you with this in two ways. One, telling you what you need, and two, even offer a kit to get you started.

You need lamp modules for your lamps, and at least 1 transciever for the RF based control system, and an RF to IR converter for your Pronto. I have a CCF screen that you can use to build your control panel, complete with the codes.

Now the RF based transceiver could be replaced by an IR-543. But you can use both to achieve not only control via the Pronto, but also control via a time based programming module, and X10 pocket remote control.

The IR-543 is a 110 box that gives you control of al lights on the circuit, including dimming capability. The pronto will send it's IR based signal to this unit, and it in turn sends the X10 signal over the 110 wire it's powered with. This is a must have unit.

I have one of the X10 CM11-A control kits NIB available for sale. The kit includes a remote that can be IR or RF based, a keychain remote, and at least 1 transciever and lamp module. I could also throw in some extra goodies like a screw in lamp module, extra remote, etc...

www.x10.com is one site. Go to the Guide to look under home automation for additional sites. X10 did not previously sell the IR-543. I can probably find the company's name if your interested.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Lex

Comment

• Jerry Pease
          • Aug 2000

Well, I control the darkness inside my HT by closing my plantation shutters. It makes it really dark. In addition, via my pronto all my lights through the house are controlled using X10 modules.

Hope this helps,

JP
          JP

Comment

• Lexman
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2000

Oh yeah, the other answer I had for Kenny is, "When it's dark I do". lol.

Lex

Comment

• SMiLEY
              • Sep 2000

I don't have much control over light in my room right now. Even with plantation shutters, the sun shines bright in the day. At night it's pretty good.

I have an X-10 starter kit that they were giving away when they first started up. I have two lamp modules and a remote. Only one lamp module has dimmer capabilities, and it's the one closest to the TV. I've started watching movies with it on the lowest light setting and it's been pretty pleasant.

When we get a new house, I've been told I can do whatever I want with the basement, so I should be able to totally block out the evil daystar with some curtains, or a wall or something.

Comment

• KennyG
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2000

For me light control simply means being able to plunge your HT room into total darkness, and bring up alittle back lighting, either by remote or manuel means.
                I have made some masonite panels that completely cover my windows, and a panel that covers all my gear, the panel has holes at all the remote control reciever points in the rack. (all their operational lights are covered)
                Works good and didn't cost more than 15 bucks!

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I opt for blackout when possible (especially important with a LCD projector). The HT has lined, thick drapes, with cheap plastic roll-down shades between them and the 55 sq ft picture window.

I use an old RS X-10 RF remote for lighting control. Cheap and effective

theAudioWorx
                  Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"