X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Energeezer
    • Sep 2002

Lighting Control

Guys
    I need an education in lighting. (X1 I guess)
    Can someone explain to me how this stuff works and where I can buy what I need. I have three light switches that I'd like to control from da couch via pronto.

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD
  • Energeezer
    • Sep 2002

I did some searches on the net and found the info I needed.
    What I would like to know is where the cheapest place in Canada, prefereably but not only Winnipeg is to get them?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Steve the only place I know of locally that sells X10 gear is Radio Shack and they're $$$. I order all my X10 stuff from the US. I have both X10 and Lutron lighting in my house and both work ok for what I need. You can buy Lutron from Home Depot which is what I run in my theater room and its about $80 for the spacer unit. X10 can be a lot cheaper but you'll need to make sure all the lighting is on the same power circuit. Try http://www.smarthome.com they're very good to work with

Comment

• Bent
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2003

Greetings, I get to shine here (notice the pun?)

I have an automation set-up in my house that allows scene lighting control. via X-10, but my hardware is a lot of overkill for what I'm doing. I have an ADI ocelot PLC that can learn IR, transmit IR, X-10, serial data as well as control switching modules. It can also respond to X-10 and IR as wll as time-of-day/date/season/latitude-longitude settings.

I would suggest you contact a fella in Calgary named Randy Lejeune,
        rlejeune@quantum-electronics.com and tell him what you would like to do, You'll need at a minimum, 3 x-10 capable switches (or in-line modules, but theywon't be as convenient unless you are talking about plug-in lamps), an IR543 interface (plugs into the wall) and possibly a phase coupler, depending on which "leg" the cctsare that you wish to control, dig up my e-mail address (Andrew has it) and give me a call if you want help.

(I am an electrician, but not a normal one...)

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
          • Jan 2002

Great thread... help me out too, genuises! :arrow:

I wired my entire home but I can't begin to tell you about X-10 or even how it works. I just know how to pull wire, connect the wires to whatever and fix up a nice and neat power panel. For some reason X-10 is confusing me as to what I need.

I have 8 light fixtures with 60 watt bulbs around the top of our great room that I'd like to have remote dimming/on/off control. I have a dimmer switch on them now but it's not remote.

I have a 3 speed ceiling fan that I'd like to have remote variable speed/on/off control.

The light dimmer switch, the ceiling fan light switch and the fan switch are all 3 ganged in the same box. The ceiling fan light switch can stay like it is.

I don't believe I'd care anything about scenes and timers.

What's the cheapest way to go to get these remote enabled. My MX-700 only does IR.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Bent
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2003

Sonnie, the MX-700 should already have X-10 IR protocol onboard, so again, the minimum you will need is an IR 543 interface, X-10 capable dimmer switches for each cct,(my 1000 watt single gang Leviton Decora Home Controls was costly, but there are alternatives, like PCS brand which are even more versatile), and possibly a phase coupler in case the receptacle you plug your IR 543 into and your lighting ccts happen to be on opposite legs.
            I don't wish to drag anyone away from here, but there is lots of usefull info on Remotecentral.com's X-10 forums. That's how I got started.

Oh, B.T.W. - PCS switches are pretty impressive when used stand alone with X-10 control, you can do preset dims, variable ramp rates, multi scenes, but they are a bit tricky to program.

I have to go to work, or I could ramble on for another hour.

Later,
            Ben

Comment

• Bent
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2003

Sonnie, the MX-700 should already have X-10 IR protocol onboard, so again, the minimum you will need is an IR 543 interface, X-10 capable dimmer switches for each cct,(my 1000 watt single gang Leviton Decora Home Controls was costly, but there are alternatives, like PCS brand which are even more versatile), and possibly a phase coupler in case the receptacle you plug your IR 543 into and your lighting ccts happen to be on opposite legs.
              I don't wish to drag anyone away from here, but there is lots of usefull info on Remotecentral.com's X-10 forums. That's how I got started.

Oh, B.T.W. - PCS switches are pretty impressive when used stand alone with X-10 control, you can do preset dims, variable ramp rates, multi scenes, but they are a bit tricky to program.

I have to go to work, or I could ramble on for another hour.

Later,
              Ben

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                • Jan 2002

I frequent remotecentral forums occasionally so I'll check this out more.

Thanks!

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Bent
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2003

Just resurecting an old thread, any of you folks look into this automation thing for your home theater?

I had a job offer yesterday from a WPG B&M A/V store to become an automation instalation consultant for them (part-time), they seemed very impressed with my little setup I have at home.
                  I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this. :T

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Cool care to let us know which B&M?

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"