X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Now What Does This Mean ?

New technology always fascinates me, but sometimes it takes a while for it to sink in, so I'll just touch briefly on an article I read in the December Widescreen Review and hope I get it right.
    To quote the article,"a revolutionary optical media technology with stellar capacities", whew.
    It's called FMD(fluorescent multilayer disc) and was developed by a team of scientists in the mid 1990s, who after realizing what they had, formed a company called Constallation 3D,Inc., to commercialize their invention.
    It's digital storage taken to a limit that's hard to comprehend. Imagine a disc the sze of a dvd with a storage capacity of more than 400GB, and a read/write speed above 100 million bits per second.
    Compare that 400GB to today's dvd maximum of 18GB (DVD18)which is rarely used due to complexities and cost, or to the more commonly used DVD9 with its 8.5GB of storage on two layers.
    The article goes on about how the new technology not only affects the future of dvds, but just about anything with digital storage.But what does that really mean for we dvd folk? Well for one thing it would mean high res capabilities, and then you could have hours of extras, less compression of the soundtracks, etc. Sounds great ,doesn't it.
    But if they build it, will they ( the studios) come ? Considering their paranoia about piracy and what have you, it's not likely we'll see much here for some time to come.
    Still it's wonderful to imagine dvd as good as film.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sounds like an ideal medium for TiVO's etc. Not sure about replacing DVD anytime soon but anythings possible I guess

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

This could be good and bad. My big issue would be not to make what movies I own obsolete. If we can enjoy the new technology and it be backwards compatible then I'm in. I own way too many movies to start from scratch again.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

John,
        That would be a BIG issue with me,too.There's no way I could ever afford to replace my collection with high res copies, so the technology would have to be backward compatible for me.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Well, I have always wanted a stack of 350 coasters, lol. Interesting technology...

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• GregoriusM
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2000

I've read four or five articles on this technology, and apparently new players can fairly easily be made to read both current DVD's and the new media and within a decent price range.
            Gregor

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Did any of the articles mention a possible street date?

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• GregoriusM
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2000

2 to 5 years, depending upon the application, which is everything from archival backup to AV media.
                Gregor

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                  Former Moderator
                  • Jan 2002

Just the same way Manufactors adapted the technoloy fairly quickly to build DVD units that can read MP3 encoded discs, I hope it will be the same for this new tech.

It would be nuts to think that we can just discard our DVDs and/or use them as vertical Blinds!!

Hey, hey, now wouldn't that be a good Idea for HGTV!? ^_^

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
                  CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• rlabarge
                    • Jan 2001

FMD technology has been around for a few years. I actually saw a demonstration of it about four years ago. There are a few problems with it that have prevented it from making a serious run at become a mainstream product.

(1) The developers have never been able to bring the technology from a "lab" phase to a "real product" phase. In short no real commercial products have ever been released using this technology.

(2) Since most of the established consumer electronics companies dont hold any of the underlying FMD technology patents, they have no incentive to switch from laser optics to a new technology. Why change to a new technology when you are getting significant royalties from an existing, and successful technology.

(3) Finally the next generation of DVD technology, which will use a blue laser instead of an infrared laser, will offer at least 4 times more capacity than current DVD discs. Blue lasers have been working for several years, and could be incorporated into HD-DVD players quite easily.

I do hope that FMD finds a way to succeed in the market, but I doubt that it will be used to make products that replace DVD players any time soon.

Ralph LaBarge
                    Managing Partner, Alpha DVD
                    Author, "DVD Authoring & Production"
                    rlabarge@alphadvd.com
                    Ralph LaBarge
                    Managing Partner, Alpha DVD
                    Author, "DVD Authoring & Production"
                    rlabarge@alphadvd.com

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Very intersting,Ralph. Thanks for the update on this new technology.
                      George

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"