X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Planet Earth HD DVD

I am sure if you own an HD DVD player you know this tittles is out Tuesday and up for Pre-order on amazon. If you dont know about it I would highly recomend it. I have seen parts on discovery and the early reviews say the HD content is nothing less then amazing. I personally love content about nature...this is 550 minutes of some of the best, and some of it is content never seen on film before. You can see an interesting preview at amazon.

oh..i also saw Blood Diamond for pre-order on hd dvd/BD too. BD version is out 30 days before HD DVD , but the HD DVD vesion will have a lot of interesting IME.
  • gross30
    • Jun 2005

Just ordered it in HD-DVD, won't be shipped until the 27th. We are going to enjoy this for sure. 550 minutes for $89.00 is a pretty good deal.

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by gross30
      Just ordered it in HD-DVD, won't be shipped until the 27th. We are going to enjoy this for sure. 550 minutes for $89.00 is a pretty good deal.
      I agree. Not to mention it will be eye candy. Did you see the trailer on amazon? The HD DVD version aslo has TrueHD.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

It's coming out on Blu-Ray, too. I'll probably order it after I'm done with my house move.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Nolan B
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
          It's coming out on Blu-Ray, too. I'll probably order it after I'm done with my house move.
          yes it is, but if you have the ability to play both Blue Ray and HD DVD I would got with HD DVD becuase it has the lossless TrueHD while the BD is only offering the Lossy Dolby Digital...no PCM.

***I should re-port info on this. While Amazon says the HD DVD version has TrueHD I have not seen any other comfirmation of this.
          Last edited by Nolan B; 23 April 2007, 11:42 Monday.

Comment

• Charles
            • Jul 2006

Ordered it last week, suppose to arrive on the 27th.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I've watched several of the series off my HD-PVR with the rest waiting on more "quiet time". The PQ is simply stunning - period. ;x(

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• gross30
                • Jun 2005

It should be a complete joy to watch. The trailer came up on amazon when I ordered it, and it was amazing. I'm sure my wife and I will fully enjoy this work.

Comment

• mmoeller
                  • May 2006

Excellent!! I've watched all of them, simply amazing. Setting a new standard for filming the natural world. National Geographic better get to work.

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

I have the entire series in HD on my DVR, definitely one of the most amazing displays of what "HD" can do. I can't wait for this on HD/Blu-Ray...though I need a player first.

I would however advise anyone interested in this waiting until the "american" release with Sigourney Weaver narrating...I just think she does a better job (more pleasing voice) and they are supposed to put some behind the scenes stuff that isn't offered in this BBC version (supposedly).
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• Gremal
                      • Apr 2007

I ordered it on blu-ray last week for less than $70...do you HD guys really believe the HD version will offer better audio than the blu-ray version?
                      Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                      Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                      B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                      VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                      Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

I didn't realize that there were two versions. The one airing on HD television (here in the 'States, anyway) is the Sigourney Weaver narrated one.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Scumurculum
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by David Meek
                          I didn't realize that there were two versions. The one airing on HD television (here in the 'States, anyway) is the Sigourney Weaver narrated one.
                          I was going to buy the HD DVD version until is heard they changed the narator to Sigourney Weaver.

For crying out loud what is it with Americans, it was originally narrated by David Attenborough one of the greatest naturalists and science communicators alive today. Yes he is english and has an engish accent of course but why on earth replace him with an an actress, just because she is american.

I always wonder why it is necessary to Americanise things just so it can be watched over there. It is not as if anyone in the US would have any problems understanding Attenborough's accent

sorry just ranting....

ps - I have nothing against Sigourney Weaver, or Americans for that matter

Comment

• Pez
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by Scumurculum

I am not intending to be insulting, but I always wonder why it is necessary to Americanise things just so it can be watched over there. It is not as if anyone in the US would have any problems understanding Attenborough's accent
                            You answered your own question but I will add that I guess the producers/marketing people felt it would be better received if there were no accents to deal with. You have to keep in mind that this is America and there are people that have some difficulty with the english accent (as ridiciouls as that sounds). Personally I really like the english accent and would have no problem with the David A. version, thats the one I will probably get. I say whatever it takes to get as many people to watch this series is worth it. This series has been truly amazing, the camera work is breathtaking.

Plus american actors like to make a big deal of thier own agenda when it comes to nature.

Comment

• gd
                              • Jan 2003

They coulda had Bozo the Clown narrate this and it would still be great... it's about the content, huh?

There have been any number of other nature documentaries broadcast here on PBS or Discovery featuring Attenborough, and I don't remember any public criticism... the decision to have an alternate narrator could have been for any reason – gender, contractual, money, who knows... in any event, Weaver does a good job here – I believe she's done other such projects.

Other good voices for this type of material are Patrick Stewart and Avery Brooks of Star Trek fame.

Yes, David A. is iconic for nature programs.

But the real stars of this series are the snow leopards.
                              greg (gd to you)
                              Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                              production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Nolan B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2005

I was going to buy the HD DVD version until is heard they changed the narator to Sigourney Weaver.

For crying out loud what is it with Americans, it was originally narrated by David Attenborough one of the greatest naturalists and science communicators alive today. Yes he is english and has an engish accent of course but why on earth replace him with an an actress, just because she is american.

I always wonder why it is necessary to Americanise things just so it can be watched over there. It is not as if anyone in the US would have any problems understanding Attenborough's accent

sorry just ranting....

im pretty sure the one being shipped right now is the one with David, not Ripley

Comment

• Nolan B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Gremal
                                  I ordered it on blu-ray last week for less than $70...do you HD guys really believe the HD version will offer better audio than the blu-ray version?
                                  i already edited my post. While amazon said it was TrueHD it has been comfirm that its just regular DD.

Comment

• mmoeller
                                    • May 2006

sorry just ranting....

Sigourney Weaver is a self-proclaimed naturalist... After all she did play Jane Fossi in "Gorillas in the Mist". That should count for something... :rofl:

Comment

• Nolan B
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                      i already edited my post. While amazon said it was TrueHD it has been comfirm that its just regular DD.
                                      I do want to update this. My HD DVD version plays in DTS.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2005

so what did everyone think? Not EVERYTHING was shot in HD, but it was still an amazing series. I did notice some nasty color banding here.

but it was the only place I saw it and looks like others saw it there too. Before you ask its the source and not my display (whish is a ISF calibrated 50" Fujitsu).

33:01 on the first disc if I remember right.

Comment

• Charles
                                          • Jul 2006

Just got through the first disc and yes, the PQ is mixed but very good, Some of the scenes, especially the fresh water episode has some incredible HD scenes that will make you smile. I sometimes have a hard time with thick British accents, but I have no issues with Davids, he does an incredible job.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"