Are Extras More Important Than Picture Qaulity?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Are Extras More Important Than Picture Qaulity?

After getting a taste of Superbit dvds, I would gladly give up extras for quality. Now and then I am interested enough to view Special Features on dvds, but in many cases I don't find the time. In fact, I have probably a hundred or so titles of which I have never taken time to view the extras.And if the studios really want us to have the extras, they could always have the feature film on Superbit and all the extras on a second disc, the way some releases are now being offered. In fact, they could even put the P&S version on the second disc as Dreamworks did with Shrek.This would make Joe Sixpack happy, while giving us a Superbit film in its OAR.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

While extras are nice to have, the movie is (or should be) why we buy the disc(s) in the first place. Even if we study the extras at length and in detail, they are still just supplements to the "main event". The quality of the video and audio for the feature presentation should be as good as the studio can produce, IMO.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

If I was JSP with an average interest in movies and fairly typical gear (32" TV, let's say, with an interlaced mid line DVD player), the Superbit advantage would be meaningless; not having the extra goodies might be quite annoying.

Me, I'd like two disk sets like the TPM as a "premium set", as well a baseline movie only offering.

However, unlike TPM, cut the cr*p with THX certification and mediocre picture quality, and do the job right. Leave off the edge enhancment; let JSP do it if he wants with his sharpness control; lord only knows enough sets do that excessively right out of the box. `Then most of us would be happy. Oh, and BTW, keep OAR, and everything 16X9 enhanced that isn't 4:3 source.

Oh well, I know all about the cold day in the devil's domain before we see such sensible behavior. :roll:

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Chip
        • Aug 2001

It's all about the flick for me... out of 120 or so dvd's i have in my collection, i've watched maybe 3 supplimental discs.

- Chip

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
        Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I really like what they did with Shrek with the J6P version on disc one and the adult version on the second disc. Saves on packaging for the studio having to release two different versions of the same movie and makes inventory easier for stores.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

If I was JSP with an average interest in movies and fairly typical gear (32" TV, let's say, with an interlaced mid line DVD player), the Superbit advantage would be meaningless; not having the extra goodies might be quite annoying.
            Does J6P (not a movie buff) really have any interest in commentaries and other behind-the-scenes info on how the movie was made?

They might get excited about "games" and "contests", or "gossip" about the cast, but including that stuff is really pandering, not adding to the understanding and enjoyment of movies themselves.

Seems to me the ones who might be "annoyed" by the exclusion of solid extras (as opposed to "fluff") are those who take movies seriously and study them as an art form. But sometimes these people have to make an informed choice -- "movie" the best it can be presented, or "extras". I'd rather have both, but if I have to choose, it is usually going to be "movie".

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

I am not to concerned about store inventory, lol. But I am concerned about picture quality. Extras are just that to me, extra. Occasionally, if I am bored at the end of a movie, or have time to burn, I might check em out a bit. I will say I have enjoed a couple of director commentaries that follow the entire movie. Sort of cool to get that perspective once in a while, but not with every film watched for me-

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Markj
                • Aug 2000

I have not listen to a complete commentary but for some films I do like the “making of”. I do think picture and sound are the most important and should be the best possible. Usually the “making of” some older favorites have been enjoyable. And some extras are a waist like TV spots and tailors. If the extra is a quality “making of” like the Hitchcock’s have been I would miss them.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

I agree Mark.There are some extras worth watching, but then there are so many of those little featurettes which were basically created to promote the film,aren't there.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Huskerduck
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2000

I'll take superbit anyday!

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
                    Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

• GregoriusM
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2000

The best video and audio you can get on Disk One and all the features you can get on Disk Two.

I'd gladly pay a little extra for the Two-disk Set.
                      Gregor

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"