X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markj
    • Aug 2000

Features that you appreciate

With all of the great equipment out there it is sometimes hard to decide what to buy. I know that for some pieces in my HT system I had definite reasons why I bought a particular manufacture over another. Sometimes it was as simple as price but others had a particular feature that I wanted. For speakers, most of us like the sound of the speaker so I don’t what to talk about speakers for this thread. Pre/pros and receivers usually are purchased because of features and that is what I what to find out. This is long-winded intro, but now to the point, what was the feature that attracted you to buy the pre/pro or receiver that you now have in your system.

I will start out.
    My pre/pro is the CB II. What originally attracted me to the CB was a matrix DSP that will take a mono sound track and spread it over the three front speakers. I thought this would be great with all of the older films that of course have a mono sound track. And I especially like older films and the sound from all of the front speakers makes for a very enjoyable sound experience. Now with the CB II you can adjust the spread of the sound between the front speakers. At the time when I bought the CB none of the other pre/pros had such a feature or a least I didn’t know of another pre/pro that had.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

my pre pro was purchased because at the time it was the best sounding model I could afford in 2 channel mode. It also did the usual DD, DTS and had 5 channel stereo. Which brings up an interesting point how often is it that a feature you thought was a must have is something you never end up using?

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Well, I bought my pre-pro because how else could I be Lex without a Lexicon? lol.

Seriously, when I started buying higer end gear, I first owned a Rotel RSP-981, I think that's right. Not a DD piece, I bought it because of the quality build, and warm sound. However, as I became interested in DVD, I became less interested in a standalone processor, which I bought, and then returned, the Sony unit which the number escapes me. At the time, the dealer the Sony came from, had a special on the DC-1. Having read all about the DC-1, I jumped on it. It was the feature set that attracted me and for that matter, has held my attention ever since. I was going to keep the Rotel RB-985 amp. But I was on a binge, and just kept going! Within weeks, I purchased my first Proceed amp, the HPA-2. I thought, well, I will use the Rotel to drive my surrounds, and cneter, and use the HPA-2 for the mains. That lasted about 2 weeks, and I went back for the AMP5. Also, on the same trip, delivered the Rotel pair to a nice guy up in Virginia. What a deal, cash in one hand, and right out the other, lol. the transaction actually took place inside the audio store, haha.

Of course, the shift to the MC-1 was brought about by the trade in policy, it was a no-brainer. now the shift to the MC-12, is not so simple. 4 grand just doesn't grow on trees these days, my money trees are empty, lol. So, I stick wih the MC-1 for HT, and bettered my HT with the Classe' CP-35. Nice piece simply because of it's sonics. Features, didn't matter.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Markj
        • Aug 2000

Andrew one feature that I thought I might use was equalization to tame the highs on some sound tracks. Most if not all pre/pros have it whether it is THX or some proprietary algorithm. After two and half years not once have I used it.

Lex didn’t realize you had Classe’ stuff. I sure have enjoyed my Classe’ amps.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I bought the Denon 3801 Receiver primarily because it offered the addition of DTS and 6.1 EX matrix and 6.1 DTS discrete- all at nearly half the price I paid for its predecessor, the Yamaha A3090.I enjoy the 3801 immensely and have no regrets regarding its purchase.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Yeah Mark, I added the Classe' for it's balanced outputs. It's test equipment. Simply, I had balanced inputs on my amp, but no balanced outputs. So, now I can test XLRs I build... Of course, I do a little listening while testing, and been testing one pair of XLRs for a good while now. I hope my accountant agrees, lol.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Years ago I bought an H/K AVP1a (which I still own and use) because, it did a great job of reproducing 5.1 sound from a 2ch source. For older laserdisc this was a god sent! The amount of channel seperations still floors me today.

Today my VSX27TX Elite is the workhorse. Though I already had (an still own) an RF De-mod., I wanted one that was built-in. I also wanted this unit to support a phono input as well as 5.1 inputs.

I also am a fan of THX, which both units have.

The sound, cost, and features listed said Pioneer Elite! So listened.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Robbie
                • Aug 2000

Well, the main reason for my selection was mainly price. However I also wanted to get into seperates and support our local B&M which sold Adcom of which I have long admired and wanted. Without paying 2K for their sucky pre/pro I decided I liked their 2 channel pre and went with a seperate processor. I figure I have a really decent system for about $650.

Robbie

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"