X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

WHOA! M&K Out Of Business

I just read an article at a magazine's website telling how speaker manufacturere M&K (Miller and Kreisel) has - as of last week - closed its doors and filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceedings. There's a lot of on-going litigation, but it sounds like counterfitters out of China have done a lot of damage to them.

That's just wrong. :M

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Yeah, this is a very disappointing story. You can go direct to M&K's website to read what they say about it, and we've also been discussing it in the M&K thread over in the "manufaturer's threads" areas of HTGuide.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• spyboy
      • Jun 2005

In spite of the closing of M&K, I bought an M&K S150 AC. New in the box. Ordered a nice metal stand for it. Should sound really good with the stand and my Denon 5803A. Can't wait till the 5803A is ready in about 2 weeks.

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I have wondered about M&K's solvency since a couple years ago when I visited the local dealer and asked what happened? The salesman stated they were having product delivery issues and they terminated their agreement with them. It was a sobering moment for me as I was a previous M&K subwoofer owner. They have had a long run and it's sad to see that it has come to this.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

dang, I really hate to hear that, they made some fine products...
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Wow!
            Jason

Comment

• gianni
              • Nov 2002

A sad ending indeed. I know this is a long shot, but perhaps someone will step in and revive the company letting the old guard design the goods with some new blood running the business end.....if this can be done without sacrificing quality.

Comment

• Club1820
                • Jan 2006

I love my M&K Sub!

Was thinking of buying a second. :cry:
                Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Well, I don't know my chapters real well, I am not sure if chapter 7 is a chance to reorg their finances, or the final chapter that dictates liquidation of all assets... Which is it? I am thinking Chapter 13 is the reorg, and chapter 7 means it's all over. But I may be wrong.

edit, I googled, and in fact, chapter 7 means a bankruptcy trustee does indeed liquidate all assets, distribute proceeds to creditors. Apparently the fat lady has sung.
                  Doug

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Man, this was really bad news to me. But, I'm not really all that shocked. Though I did not know the extent of their internal issues, for too long have they had troubles filling orders. No way is 4-6 months (sometimes longer) acceptable in getting your customer's product to them.

On the bright side, maybe I'll find a great deal on some s-150's now.
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Originally posted by John Holmes
                      On the bright side, maybe I'll find a great deal on some s-150's now.
                      ... or get stuck with a set that has the latest driver problems they've been having, without any warranty to cover it. Hopefully not! Hopefully it's the first case.
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris D
                        ... or get stuck with a set that has the latest driver problems they've been having, without any warranty to cover it. Hopefully not! Hopefully it's the first case.
                        Nah, that will not be a problem here. I would only buy them from my dealer. Same place that I bought my B&K Ref 50. So, they would take care of me.
                        Which is the best part about establishing a good relationship with a brick & mortor store.
                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• DrJRapp
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Lex
                          Well, I don't know my chapters real well, I am not sure if chapter 7 is a chance to reorg their finances, or the final chapter that dictates liquidation of all assets... Which is it? I am thinking Chapter 13 is the reorg, and chapter 7 means it's all over. But I may be wrong.

edit, I googled, and in fact, chapter 7 means a bankruptcy trustee does indeed liquidate all assets, distribute proceeds to creditors. Apparently the fat lady has sung.

Ch 13 is pimarily for individuals to "cram down" a mortgage or other debt.

Chapter 11 offers protection from creditors while a company is reorganized and/or refinanced. Many companies are acquired or receive new financing and emerge from the protection of the courts to try again. Companys who's technology or intellectual rights have a lot of potential value are good candidates for Ch 11.

Chapter 7 is to sell off all assets and discharge all obligations (insolvency)...this is the end of the line.
                          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

That's pretty much what I said about Chapter 7 Jerry. But your Chap 11 and 13 info was added info, not relevent here except to say what it's not, but related...
                            Doug

Comment

• gianni
                              • Nov 2002

All I can say is....

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

I only bought one M & K product ever, a MX125 sub. But it is an awesome subwoofer. I always felt I could trust the M & K brand myself, if I did have opportunity to buy. Never the cheapest, but always good reliable quality, that's what hurts our industry when we see good players like that go down.
                                Doug

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"