X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pf
    • Oct 2000

24/384 processing?

Just got word from my Theta dealer that an 'Extreme' DAC card is now available for the CB 2 upgrade. Each card will cost ~$4000 with 4 DAC's on board. In fact the same info is already posted on the AVS Forum. Any idea what will 24/384 processing do that 24/192 can't?

May be this will be more appropriate posted on the Theta forum but figure it's the 24/384 processing that I am curious about more than Theta whom I am still having a hardtime getting them to move faster.

PF
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Po-ming, please do repost to Club Theta. Yikes, 4K for just the DAC card? Guess I am not a Theta prospect, ouch.

I am realy not sure about these numbers. But don't you need to have software that can support it to be of any real value? I want to get extremely more technical than my current knowledge base is, but in due time...

My answer is, I just don't know!

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

unless its upsampleing the data I'm not sure what its for....I mean if its for SACD etc you're going to need more then one card aren't you?

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I have wondered how much more I would actually hear with a 192 DAC. Then like Lex, I realized that I won't. At least until there is software to support it.

So until I see a raving review(s) that it is a must have, 192 and 384 are just numbers.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• pf
          • Oct 2000

Andrew, the CB 2 can be config to up to 12 channels (8.4) I think. Prior to the Extreme DAC, there were superior & standard DAC boards each with 3 DAC's. My current CB has 6 channels with front three superior & the other three standard for DD/DTS but the dealer were to upgrade mine to the CB 2's 8.4 format with 6 superior (2 boards) and the rest standard (2 boards again). With this new 4/board make up even though Theta's letter to dealers mentioned mixing boards the combination just doesn't come out right. For example if I were to get 2 of the Extreme boards to cover 8 channels that still leaves four channels for 1-1/3 of either superior or standard boards to make up.

Anyway looks like it's hurting time again. I am waiting on my dealer to see how much extra it's going to cost before making my decision.

Good news is though he was told by Theta the amps may come out next month so I don't have to have an empty rack & speakers w/o amps much longer. For right now the Brystons are upstair with the Maggies leaving the B&W's very lonesome.

Btw, these DAC's can at least do upsampling right now (Steve B @ AVS has being using his and Circle Surround with great result) but I expect eventually they will be used for multi-channel digital SACD/DVD-A decoding.

PF

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"