X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken McDaniel
    • Aug 2000

Impedance question

I'll be the first to admit when I don't know something. I don't know jack about impedence.

I have the amazing opportunity to obtain a pair of the new Sonus Faber Concertinto Home speakers. They are already available in Italy. These speakers run at 6 ohms. My current setup includes the Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano and the Solo center (both 8 ohms). My amplifiers are Denon POA 8200/8300 rated 120W into 8 ohms. They are 2-channel and 3-channel amps, respectively. I currently have the Grand Pianos ran by the 2-channel.

Question: How to introduce a 6 ohm speaker in to my system? Feel free to talk amongst yourselves.

Ken
    Ken
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Basically impedance is the total resistance of a system, in this case it's the system resistance of a speaker. Your Denon will have no problem with a 6 ohm load, probably not even a 4 ohm load.
    The unknown factor here is just how low the impedance drops, a speaker's load is not steady, as volume and frequency change, so does impedance.
    Speaker loads (impedance) have drips and peaks. That 6 ohm impedance your looking at is an average.
    Like I said, if it were me, I'd hook 'em up and never give it a second thought! Even the cheapest recievers can handle a 6 ohm load.

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

Damn Ken, I'm sorry h: I didn't read this all the way through, Your using Denon's POA gear???!!!
      Don't even give it a thought, that stuff can handle 4 ohm loads with ease!

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Ken

Jack doesn't know much about impedence either

Start with "Mr Speaker, this is Mr amp" and go from there

Speakers 101: Impedence is the resistance, or load the speakers place on the amplifier. It is a dynamic load. Meaning that a speaker doesn't have a "fixed" impedence. Rather it has an impedence curve. This varies with the frequency being reproduced. To make people happy, mfgrs quote an impedence usually measured at 1Khz.

BTW, what was the question?

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
          • Aug 2000

The question basically broils down to can I run two 6 ohm speakers and an 8 ohm center channel off the same 3-channel amplifier?

Each channel does have independant power supplies.

Ken
          Ken

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Shouldn't be any problem.

theAudioWorx
            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"