X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

A $20 Fix

No, I don't mean dope or a prostitute. I'm referring to an inexpensive fix to a problem I have with my Sony LCD projector.The Sony only allows you to have either a composite or S-Video connection, or it automatically defaults to S-Video. Since I have my projector in an enclosure, it is a pain to have to remove the front panel, unplug S-Video and plug in composite if I want to watch something on (UGH) vhs tape or the tv.So I needed a composite to S-Video converter. Tributaries have one at $99 American, which would be approx $160 cdn.I couldn't find a local Tributaries deal but one location showed me this little converter for $20. It's made by Ultra Link (I believe it is a Canadian company)and you just plug the composite out from your vcr into one end and connect an S-Video out at the other end and plug it into the S-Video receptable on the receiver.I haven't tried it out yet, but for $20 I don't have much to lose.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I'm using one from Radio shack that's exactly the same thing as the one you got and its about the same price. I'm using mine ot convert my VCR's output into S-Video so that I can let my receiver do the switching instead of the TV. I havne't noticed any picture degredation from the conversion so I'm happy with it...for the money its a great buy if you need that conversion step but don't buy it if you think you'll get a better image from the S-video over the composite.

Comment

• GregoriusM
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2000

Yep. UltraLink is a Canadian company. All of my interconnects are UltraLink. They have quite a selection of cables, etc. From the reasonably priced, to the higher priced stuff. Which, I guess to some, could be reasonably priced too! ;-)
      Gregor

Comment

• GregoriusM
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2000

BUT! BUT! BUT! I'm saving up for CATS!!!!!

Whew! Had to put that one in quick! he he
        Gregor

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Andrew- I'm using mine exactly for the same reason you are using yours.The only difference is I have two projectors set up in my HT. The crt only handles composite and the Denon 3801 only has one composite out. The LCD projector, which I only use for widescreen mostly, is connected directly by component from the Sony 7700. Thing is, I also have a Pioneer combi LD/DVD player and that is connected S-Video into the 3801 and then out to the LCD projector. This way I can choose to play LD or DVD through the projector, but not the VCR or TV. The little converter allows me to connect a second VCR (I have too many)via composite to S-Video in on VCR 2 on the 3801. Man, I got cables coming out of my ying yang. But now I can watch TV or the VCR on either the crt or the LCD without having to switch inputs on the LCD projector. Wheeew. BTW, I didn't realize Radio Shack had these little converters.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Yup Radio shack has them and Parts Express has them on for $7US (hint hint forum sponsor)

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"