• Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Lethal weapon 5?

Director ponders final Lethal Weapon
    By LOUIS B. HOBSON -- Calgary Sun
    HOLLYWOOD -- Richard Donner has a few lethal ideas to help revive some of his most successful films.

Donner, who directed all four of the Lethal Weapon movies, feels there's still life in the franchise that has netted more than a billion dollars worldwide.

"I have the story in my head for a fifth and final Lethal Weapon, but it's all up to Mel Gibson," says Donner, who directed Paul Walker in the time travel adventure Timeline that opens Nov. 26.

"It would be 24 hours in the lives of Riggs (Gibson) and Murtaugh (Danny Glover). The last couple of times I talked to Mel, it really seemed he was interested in doing one more.

"I really want to put the franchise to bed properly."

In 1985, two years before he scored with Lethal Weapon, Donner directed the family adventure movie The Goonies.

Donner says Steven Spielberg, who wrote and produced Goonies, "definitely wants to do a sequel.

"Our idea is to bring back some of the original Goonies, including Sean Astin, Josh Brolin and Corey Feldman, and team them up with some new young actors."

THUNDERBIRDS OF A FEATHER

Ben Kingsley discovered that children can sometimes be a force more powerful than agents or managers.

Kingsley was convinced he should play the master villain The Hood in the live-action version of The Thunderbirds, a 1960s British children's TV show that featured marionettes.

"When I told my three sons that I had been offered the role of The Hood, my 14-year-old told me I simply had to do it," recalls Kingsley, who stars in the powerful drama House of Sand and Fog that opens Dec. 26.

"My son has a Thunderbirds alarm clock. That's how big a fan he is of the TV series."

The Thunderbirds follows the heroic exploits of the Tracy family, who lead a futuristic rescue team.

Bill Paxton plays the father of five heroic sons.

Brady Corbet, who plays Holly Hunter's son in the family drama Thirteen, is the youngest Tracy son on whose shoulder's the fate of mankind rests.

Kingsley says it shouldn't seem strange that a classically-trained, Oscar-winning actor like himself is starring in a special effect movie aimed squarely at the Spy Kids audience.

"Family films have a history of being really quality movies, and there's nothing second-rate about this Thunderbirds film."

Star Trek alumnus Jonathan Frakes is directing The Thunderbirds movie, which is scheduled for summer 2004.

DJIMON IN DEMAND

Djimon Hounsou is brewing up some nasty times for Jennifer Garner and Keanu Reeves.

Hounsou, who's best known for his peformances in Amistad, Gladiator, Biker Boyz and The Four Feathers, has nabbed a recurring role on Garner's hit TV show Alias and a supporting role in Reeves' superhero flick Constantine.

"In Alias, I play the leader of the new underworld organization called The Covenant, so I'm Jennifer's nemesis.

"I guess you could call me the new bad guy on the block. It's a recurring role but I don't know for how long," says Hounsou, who stars as the mysterious lodger in the holiday drama In America, opening Dec. 19 at the Globe Cinema.

In Constantine, Hounsou plays "a witch doctor who helps Keanu fight his personal demons.

"The great thing is that both shows are being shot in L.A., which explains why I can do them simultaneously."

Hounsou hasn't heard any updates on the status of Blueberry, a western based on a European comic book that he filmed two years ago.

"Vincent Cassel plays Blueberry, the cowboy hero. Eddie Izzard is the villain.

"The film's got quite an international cast so it should get distribution everywhere," says Hounsou whose Blueberry co-stars also include Juliette Lewis, Michael Madsen, Colm Meaney and Dennis Hopper.

• George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The first was best. The others were amusing and okay, but I feel the franchise has run its course. They seemed to be straining for humor in the last couple of outings.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

George -

I agree. Although I've enjoyed all of them, and have all of them on DVD, I'd think both Mel Gibson and Danny Glover would have better things to do than try to dilute the Lethal Weapon premise with another episode. The last one, while entertaining in its own way, was really kind of a stretch for the series already, and aside from the money-making promise of the title, it was almost more coincidence than necessity to the story that the two lead characters were from the previous "Lethal Weapon" movies.

I say "You've already made a billion dollars off Lethal Weapon. Give it a rest and move on. " But I suppose if they do make another, I'll go see it anyway. (That kind of response from millions of fans is what the producers are counting on and that's why it'll probably get made.)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Uncle Clive
        Former Moderator
        • Jan 2002

So true Burke! I'd be caught up in that line-up too. Hopefully Glover hasn't gotten too old and slow.

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
        CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Burke, I have the set too on dvd. And if they do another one I'd probably add it to the set, just because...

Anyway, I really hope Mel and Danny go onto something else.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Zed
            • Jun 2003

Count me in as one of the people who thinks this series has run it's course but are still willing to see another. I'm a sucker for punishment what can I say.

My DVD Collection
            My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"