• Jul 2006

Toshiba HD-A1 Audio Out Comparisons

Has anybody done any audio comparisons on your A1's:

1. Running audio through HDMI
    2. Running via component out
    3. Running via coaxial/Optical out letting the prepro do it's thing
  • gross30
    • Jun 2005

I tried mine on HDMI, but went with the optical to the HT amp. I found it better sounding. My HT amp doesn't have HDMI, so I routed it through the VP-30 upscaler, and didn't like the sound. I ended up just using the scaler for video and all my audio through the HT amp.

Comment

• Charles
      • Jul 2006

No HDMI on my processor either so I tried it with coxial and component and seemed to like the coxial better. Dolby recommends letting the player do the processing but for some reason it just didn't sound as good in my case. Video runs from HDMI on player to DVI on TV and looks great. Tried component on video to get my OSD, but for some reason it won't work....bummer.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I use the coax out, my pre/pro doesn't have HDMI.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• comeup
          • Jul 2005

I read that the uncompressed high def audio can only be heard through HDMI v1.3 only regular digital sound through coaxial and optical (I hope I read it wrong) reason being I don't have HDMI switching on my pre amp.
          Blake

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by comeup
            I read that the uncompressed high def audio can only be heard through HDMI v1.3 only regular digital sound through coaxial and optical (I hope I read it wrong) reason being I don't have HDMI switching on my pre amp.
            coax out downcoverts DD+ to DTS in its high bit rate. You can also listen to uncompressed audio via the analog outputs.

Comment

• comeup
              • Jul 2005

Vancouver,

Thanks for the help on the hdmi and the hdcp on the other thread learned alot from you :T
              Blake

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

Vancouver,

Thanks for the help on the hdmi and the hdcp on the other thread learned alot from you :T
                sweet! glad I could help. Most of my time on this forum is seeking help. I dont feel like such a freeloader now :T

Can I ask which player you plan on buying? I do want to say one thing. I can not comment on the A2 with HDMI to DVI on non compliant HDCP displays. Not saying it cant work, just saying I dont have enough info to say one way or another. It seems that while HDCP has not been enabled there are some issues with some players (and some versions of players) which have a problem with HDMI->DVI HDCP handshakes. HDMI to HDMI with no HDCP is fine. Before you buy post again and lets discuss becuase I am sure many are in the same boat.

Comment

• comeup
                  • Jul 2005

for $199 the (EXBOX 360 HD DVD) is hard to pass up. I'll post again when I get one, for now off to work to earn more for hifi toys

peace
                  Blake

Comment

• Nolan B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2005

for $199 the (EXBOX 360 HD DVD) is hard to pass up. I'll post again when I get one, for now off to work to earn more for hifi toys

peace
                    You will be fine with the 360.

this may work for you in order to get it for $99.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"