X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Marantz mono's

I was wondering what people thought about the marantz MA500 monoblocks. Im considering using one to power my Sonosub and or my Maggie 1.4's.

• Pat
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Andrew, I have heard good things about the Marantz monoblock amps.
    The MA500 are 125w and the MA700 are 200w. I would go with the 700 if you can (headroom)
    I think Mike Knapp uses 5 MA500's in his system, he might be able to tell you more about them.

Pat's Page
    Pat's Page

Comment

• Crimson
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Andrew,
      If the 1.4's that you have are anything like the 1.6's in terms of efficeincy, freq response etc, then the 500's won't do it at all, IMO, and the 700's might. I once tried a pair of 700's in my HT system driving the front 1.6's. They were ok for movies but I didn't particularly like them for music, but your mileage may vary.

Q.
      Q.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

thanks crimson thats the kind of feedback I wanted. in your oppinion what sort of (real) wattage should I be looking at?

Comment

• Crimson
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Andrew,
          As far as wattage is concerned, 200W from the 700 series mono's SHOULD be enough, after all I'm driving my front 1.6's with 250W per side with the Bryston 4B-ST. Like I mentiomned in the post above, the 700's were fine for HT use but I felt they were a little too dry and lacked headroom for music, but that may be subjective on my part. If possible, see if you can demo them in your system.

Q.
          Q.

Comment

• Wireless
            • Feb 2001

Isn't it amazing the differences in amplifiers. I would bet that the Marantz probably puts out maybe 300-350 watts into 4 ohms, the Bryston 500 watts into 4 ohms. What startede out as a difference of 50 watts has now blossomed into a 200 watt difference. I hear Maggies are a pretty difficult load, if so it's not surprising that the Brystons sound much better. In fact I would love to have a couple of them in my system to replace a multi channel Classe amp!

John
            My HT Picts
            John
            My HT Picts

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

wireless the maggies aren't that difficult really. Yes they are 4 ohm but when you plot that resistance its ery nearly perfectly flat ie its always 4 ohms not fluctuating like normal cone speakers.

Comment

• Markj
                • Aug 2000

I replaced my multi channel Classe amp with stereo Classe amps. Driving my Apogee speakers it did make a difference.

Comment

• Wireless
                  • Feb 2001

I must be getting my planars mixed up. At 4 ohms then the Marantz would put out 350 watts or so. I think you'll hear a pretty significant improvement over your Denon receiver if you were to go that route. I would definitely go with the 700s though rather than the 500s

John
                  My HT Picts
                  John
                  My HT Picts

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

wireless I'm not using my denon to power my maggies but a HK 5 channel amp. As good as the denon is its not up to the task of powering five 4 ohm speakers.

Comment

• Westly197
                      • Aug 2000

I'm using the Marantz MA700 to drive my Magnepan 1.6QR's and I'm very happy with the results. There rated at 300 Watts when driving a 4 Ohm load.

- Wes

My Home Theater
                      - Wes

My Home Theater

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"