X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

MP3 & new HK receivers

E-town just did a report on the new H/K receiver line-up (http://www.e-town.com/news/article.jhtml?articleID=3259).

All the new receivers (low to mid-priced units) will be able to decode the MP3 format. This is a neat sounding feature until I realized you still need a CD player capable of passing an MP3 data stream. That usually means a PC CD-ROM drive.

Now that feature is suddenly useless for a great percentage of people buying HT receivers. I just don't get it.

MP3 capability in CD and DVD players is great but how many people (average consumers) will buy a receiver for their PC?

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hmmmm....I like the look of the new line. Very clean with what appears to be a large display. I'm not sure about the mp3 though. I would rather have a Cinema-Eq (I didn't notice one)but, the Logic 7 and the SPL remote is a nice touch! I notice that none of these units comes close to 100 wpc. I guess there is something to be said for high current. I hope that this series has a little better track record than there last. I really enjoyed the sound of the AVR 500 but, it seemed to be down more than it was up, by a few post around the net.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Lexman
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2000

You make good points John. Agree, rather have Re-EQ than MP3 sound. I guess they are trying to further integrate the PC and theater. But outside the bounds of DVD, not sure thats such a great idea.

Regarding this comment:
      Onboard HDCD decoding will allow you to connect a non-HDCD (High Definition Compact Disc) DVD or CD player to a digital input on this receiver and still enjoy high-resolution HDCD content.
      I dont think that necessarily means it will be playing in HDCD mode. After all, I think you need the HDCD player to benefit from the richer bitstream. Agree?

Still on these HKs ey Goose? I will say that I like the looks of this piece much better than their last line. Nice looking.

Lex

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

hmmm interesting with the MP3 decoders built in. That new CD changer with MP3 support isn't priced that bad either. Still I hope HK doesn't drop the ball like they have on the last few years worth of gear.

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Lex,
          I said that I wouldn't mention the HDCD. I try not to knock it before I try it. However, since someone else opened it up!!! MY take on this is like my Toshiba 6 head VCR with SQPB( S-VHS Quasi PlayBack)." It can play an S-VHS tape but the picture does not have the same quality and resolution as the original S-VHS picture. This VCR can not record in S-VHS format" per Toshiba. Now this setup works for me. When I purchased the vcr, I would have still bought it without this SQPB for the simple fact that, it did what I wanted one to do at the price that I was willing to pay! I have yet to use a S-VHS tape so I can not comment on it's performance.

I guess the point I am getting to is, if a manufacture wants to " WOW" me with the entry and mid level line ( which is where I am these days) then give me a product that does well at the function it was designed to do. In this case HT. Save the extra bangs and whistles for the higher end.

I would like to stress that, I'm not knocking them for this HDCD concept nor them trying to give us more for the money, so to speak. I just believe that if they or any other company would do quality over a ton of features the sales for such units would skyrocket.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• SiliGoose
            • Aug 2000

I dont think that necessarily means it will be playing in HDCD mode. After all, I think you need the HDCD player to benefit from the richer bitstream. Agree?
            I have the H/K AVR-7000 (looks just like the receivers in the e-town link but much bigger and lacking the MP3 capability). It also has the built-in HDCD decoding.
            The manual is pretty clear on this...it says as long as your CD player is connected via a digital input it will decode any HDCD data. It also claims it will make non-HDCD discs sound better. Kenwood is offering the same feature on their new receiver line.

Does it sound better? I don't know. I have yet to find a HDCD that I'm interested in buying. Regular CDs do sound fantastic but I attribute that to the incredible amp section of the AVR-7000. If the HDCD feature is making my CDs sound better I wouldn't know it.

-Sili
            www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Robbie
              • Aug 2000

John,
              It's features that sell gear. Salesmen have a hard time selling quality but it's easy to sell all a units features. Thats why cheap mass market stuff is loaded with features but have lousy power supplies and amps.

As far as e-town goes, I like the info they pass out but I wish they would get things acurate. HDCD is High Definition Compatabile Disk.

According to Pacific Microsonics regular CD's will sound better processed through the HDCD decoder. Can't personally verify this but that what they say and I'm sure HK is just echoing this.

For what it's worth

Robbie

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I just believe that if they or any other company would do quality over a ton of features the sales for such units would skyrocket.
                thats the main reason I don't particularily like Yamaha receivers....that and they are too bright

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Sili,
                  Now this is what I am talking about. Your unit is the Flagship, like the USS Enterprise it should kick butt and have all the extras to boot! In the case of this new SPL remote, it makes sense. If a unit comes with a test tone generator, there should be a way to measure SP without guessing by ear.

I'm sure that H/K does a good job of HDCD. I would not try to dispute that. I just feel like Andrew does with Yamaha. I feel that to emulate a church in 2 below Mississippi has no use in home theater. I would love to see that effort and the funds redirected ( like in this case with H/K) to something that the end user would use/need. Not 42 modes that I can only truly enjoy three of. But, at least the 70mm and a couple of others are usable. And H/K Logic 7 also does a good job. The three on my Sherwood was a total waste. They could have given me a larger heatsink or something

Robbie,
                  Yes you are right. It is easier to sell. It still does not make sense.

Just wishful thinking on my part!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"