X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

third hd format?

Sure, we've seen 1TB discs before, but instead of complicating things with holograms and the like, a research team at the University of Central Florida has taken a different tactic and developed some advances in laser technology that could actually make disc drives cheaper and more portable -- along with the obvious benefits of 1TB of storage and speedier read/write times. Unfortunately, we left our PhDs at home today, so we really haven't the foggiest idea how this all works, but the gist of the idea seems to be the fancy dual laser wavelengths being used, allowing for sharper imaging and recording. These lasers can interact with 3D materials -- such as the multiple layers on a disc, or even a storage "cube" -- without interference from the solid material, providing for more durable and more dense storage. To switch between reading and writing is only a matter of applying more power, and the simplicity of the method means that cheaper lasers could possibly be used in the system -- a far cry from the current blue laser manufacturing problems being experienced by Blu-ray and HD DVD formats. We're not exactly sure if the drive will be able to store 1TB to existing DVD discs, or if a new media will need to be produced -- we're guessing the latter -- but while we're sure commercialization of this technology is a ways off, it's nice to see what a few nerds in a college science lab can pull off while waiting around for multi-billion dollar corporations to get a 50GB drive out the door.[Via Slashdot]

10-20x the storage capacity

seems to kill two birds with one stone
    overcomes the limited space of dvd format and in comparison blu ray
    overcomes cost of new infrastructure of blu ray and partially so hd dvd
  • wildfire99
    • Aug 2005

As we've seen, it has nothing to do with technological superiority (BluRay), or marketing savvy (HD-DVD), only who has the most greed at the time.

China has EVD, and holographic blocks were demoed some time ago with similar capacities to this wonder-disc.

Heck, even with 50GB BR discs, we're still getting masters made for 30GB capacities. I'm really, really getting tired of media companies and their games. I stopped buying CD's over a decade ago, and now I've stopped buying DVD's also for many of the same reasons. Let them scream piracy all they want, the real truth is that no matter what media formats are out there, consumers are increasingly unwilling to deal with (and purchase) the end product.
    - Patrick
    "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I still have several Windows Media Video High Definition movies. I have more WMVHD movies than Blu-Ray.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• wildfire99
        • Aug 2005

Good point... look how far off the ground that got. Thank goodness I didn't go in for T3 and Motown (no offense ).

Anyone care for a mini-disc? Betamax? The bean player? An SACD disc? *cough*

Honestly I'm just glad I still remember how rough the early DVD world was, with interlaced titles and really bad encodes, peeling layers and anamorphic mayhem.
        - Patrick
        "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Why yes, I'll take your SACD's.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

I have a minidisc recording walkman and a player walkman from about 10 years ago. ops:

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"