X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Beware of chain store purchases

We've heard of this type thing happening before, but a purchase of a 1500.00 camera at Best Buy, that is opened up at home and found to be a JAR of hot TOMATO SAUCE sure got one couple's attention.
    Best Buy was researching the incident, but of course there was a near accusatory tone/feeling that they somehow did this, and then wanted to cash in for a second camera maybe. PLEASE.

Meanwhile, Sony got wind of the story, believed the couple and was taking steps to get them a new camera. (That's a class act thing to do)

This makes me want to open each purchase right there in the store with a clerk watching to make sure I am getting what I paid for BEFORE I walk out the door. I will consider it in the next purchase I make.

Last year during the holidays, I found an HDMI cable for sale that was in clear packaging, but was not an HDMI cable, it was a parallel printer cable! I looked at the cable there, and thought, hmmm, this does not look right, lol. I finally brought to clerk's attention and they pulled it from the shelves. Sure enough, there on the back you could see where they'd disected the packaging and somehow stapled it back to save 35.00.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

A friend of mine owns an auto parts store. He said they now have to carefully check all returns because people would buy an air filter or spark plugs, etc. and put the old ones back in the box and return them for money back or exchange for something else.

I tell ya, I just can't believe what people do these days. It SEEMS like so many people are trying to "get one over on the system". Maybe it's always been like that and I just have become more sensitive to it.
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

A few years ago I bought a movie at Best Buy and brought it home and opened it up to find... a blank CD-R inside the case. Apparently someone bought the movie, took it home, peeled back the security stickers, switched the disc, re-sealed and re-shrinkwrapped the package and returned it, and Best Buy put it back on the shelf.

But like Lex's story, Best Buy wouldn't take the disc back. I ended up getting in touch with a Paramount rep on another HT forum and Paramount replaced the movie for me.

Now when I buy movies, I make sure the original factory wrap is still on the package (a lot of studios print their names on the wrap, or they use that cellophane stuff).

Comment

• RobP
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Wow, those are some pretty upsetting stories, Ill be sure to check my purchases before I leave a store. Unreal what some people will do without regards to others.
        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• jim777
          • Mar 2005

It is now easier to buy over the Internet. I had two experiences with defect CD's; one with FutureShop (same as Best Buy) and one with Amazon.ca

Not I had to fight a half hour at FutureShop to get the defect CD replaced. I didn't want money, I wanted a replacement. The defect CD played in one of four CD players they had so they said it wasn't the disc! I had to get a manager into this!

With Amazon.ca, I clicked on the link "return defect" or something like that. I printed a PDF label that I taped on the box and dumped it in the mail. I got my replacement without any more trouble than that.

Futureshop is a 15min drive and Amazon.ca leaves the CD in my mail box. So I guess I'm also better of buying over the Internet for the environment, what do you want more?

And most CD's are cheaper on the Internet than in store...

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

As always, I'm thoroughly disgusted by the arrogance of any of these thieves. Just the basic premise of, "I'm entitled to your stuff for free."

I read somewhere recently that people will go into stores, grab an item off the shelf, and then go to customer service and say, "I bought this yesterday, but I don't have the receipt with me." These people are hoping that either (A) they will believe the thief and just give them the money, or (B) say, "okay, just take it back home and come back tomorrow with the receipt", allowing the person to walk out with the item.

Nummnuts... (what's the plural of "nummnuts"? Nummnuti?)
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Numni?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

Numnutses (he says with a voice of authority, since he lives in Los Angeles).

Comment

• peterS
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

the best thievery was buying a 1k reciever
                  walking back in the store taking a new one off the shelf and returning that one
                  i caught a guy doing that...
                  did have a customer buy a $400 portable dvd player that was empty once.... we had more stollen than sold so it wasnt a problem for him to get a new one

my advice is to always pay with credit card.... they are powerless to the charge back

Comment

• peterS
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

watch out for gift cards
                    newest scam is to write down the codes on them and when someone buys it type it in and use it online

Comment

• chinets
                      • Jun 2005

Texan: Ya'll Numnuts!
                      Spanish: Huevos dormidos!!
                      Correct Oxford dictionary: NUMB NUTS !!

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

:rofl:
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"