X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wireless
    • Feb 2001

New Toy!

Being a bachelor, I have no guidance on how to spend money. Maybe you've heard of this, but I am so excited I just had to share!

I purchased a Pioneer Elite 300 disc changer about 5 months ago and was bemoaning its lack of features when I ran across the Slink-e from a company called Nervis. It allows you to control multidisc cd changers from your pc. In fact you can link up to 96 players, so I ordered a slinke, a 100' of cat 5 cable and adapters (RJ45 to DB9 and back) to connect to my cd changer in another room.

Unfortunately it only works with Sony changers so I had to buy a CDP-CX400 as well.

The cool thing about the product is the internet connection. You put your discs in the changer, run the CD Jukebox software, and it identifies the discs, goes to the internet and downloads artist name, albulm title, track names, and even album cover art and lyrics if available. I just started it up a few minutes ago and it has identified every one of my cds so far. Total cost including the changer? About $520!! Another side benefit was that my Audio Alchemy DTI pro 32 wouldn't lock onto the signal from the Elite but does from the Sony. This is the coolest thing, besides the new car, that I've bought in a while!

John
    My HT Picts
    John
    My HT Picts
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Congrat's John on the new toy.

I like the internet CDDB access

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Ahhh yesss....to be single and have money.....it's like it was yesterday (20 yrs ago!).

Congrats Wireless on the new toy!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Yeah that Nirvus system is very cool. I have heard that CDDB tends to have a lot of typos in it so you may want to check over the file names

Comment

• Dennis T
          • Feb 2001

Wireless,
          Nice toy indeed. I've been considering adding a slink-e to my setup. I've got a Sony 400 disc ES changer. My concern is being able to control the setup, i.e. computer that is in another room from my HT area via my Pronto. How are you controlling your setup. I still need to do some further research.

Comment

• Lexman
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2000

Sounds cool. Let me know if you want to cut loose of that other Pioneer, ok?

Lex

Comment

• Wireless
              • Feb 2001

Thanks all! All discs were identified with no problems and no typos discovered as of yet.

Dennis,

I haven't reached the point of setting up my Pronto, primarily I've been concentrating on the software side and becoming familiar with that. I should move on this weekend.

Lex,

Sorry but I promised a very beautiful young lady the PD-F19 and there are some extra benefits to giving it to her!

John
              My HT Picts
              John
              My HT Picts

Comment

• Wireless
                • Feb 2001

Dennis,

I ended up with the Slinke in the room with my audio equipment and ran a long cat 5 cable back to my pc. In the CDJ software is a facility to set up another remote control to control the pc software. The slinke transmits the IR signal back to the pc and you set up a translation to control the software. For example a soney vcr remote can be set up so that when you hit "play" it only affects the random playlist operation, or you can have hitting the numeric 1 key play a random selection of blues albums. It may sound complex, but if you have a pronto, you are use to setting up macros.

However I have run across another problem and need help...so new thread!

John
                My HT Picts
                John
                My HT Picts

Comment

• Lexman
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2000

NP John, think if I give her mine, um... never mind. :W

Lex

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"