X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Mega changers for dummies part 2

Ok now that we've all got 300 and 400 plus CD changers its time to revisit how we go about interfacing with the beasts. Previously my personal favorite method involved using a neat excel spread sheet that allowed me to enter in my CD names and it would spit out a file that can be converted into a CCF ready for download to the pronto. The problem with that software is that its limited to 200 CD's afterwhich you've got to edit the code to get it to work. Well after tinkering a bit I decided to move on and look at the Supernudelist software.

For more info on the software I highly suggest you visit Leo Davidson's (developer) site here

I took the time to get the software set up for my Sony CD Changer and entered in all the titles again. While this took a bit of time I was impressed with the ability to organize the CD titles anyway I wanted and not just limited to the first letter of the CD name like the Excel sheet was. For example The Beatles can be sorted under the "B's" instead on a "T" but still be displayed as "The Beatles". What also makes this software easy to use is that you organize your music under each artist's name. For example under the letter "J" I've got a link to Jesse Cook. When you press on Jesse Cook it takes you to a listing of all his CD's that I have in the changer. I really like this feature now that i've gotten used to it. All in all the software isn't the easiest thing in the world to use but its not that bad ...i guess reading the readme might have helpped but where's the fun in that If you want to see what my CCF looks like with the CD titles in it download the CCF thats on my website.

• Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

bump

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

Andrew,

When I found out about Super Nudelist I was all ready to go out and buy a 300+ disc changer. That just seemed the greatest thing the Pronto could ever do.

Just when I was about to do it I had an idea: run a digital coax cable from my PC to my HT (via the attic) and play MP3's. Set-up (converting all my CD's to MP3) took quite a while but since I finished I haven't used my CD player!

The mega changer/super nudelist method has the advantage of being in the same room as the player but I saved the cost of a mega changer. In fact, the whole thing cost me less than $20.

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

bump

Comment

• junior77blue
          • Nov 2004

so in terms of mega cd changers...is sony still the only main player out there? I've seen some from pioneer and kenwood...but no one else has be able to touch them.

If I don't have a pronto, am I getting myself into some trouble/headaches when it comse to accessing such a large collection of CDs?

Comment

• junior77blue
            • Nov 2004

It doesn't look like there is even an ES version of the CD only mega-changers. My question, once you program the unit, does it maintain the programing in memory?

Too bad it can't communicate with a PC and download all the information. I guess the other optioin would be to create a HTPC. Hmm....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Yes Sony's still the main player in the jukebox market and yes it remembers the titles when unplugged...at least for several months. Given that pronto's can be bought for well under $100 now on the used market you might consider picking one up.

Comment

• junior77blue
                • Nov 2004

Doing some more research...

Do I purchase an older ES model CD only or buy a new CX455.

Can these be stacked one on top of the other?

Unfortunately, if I were to purchase 2, I guess I can't use the digital output since the only way to connect them together is to use the analog output from one to the other. If that's the case, how good/bad are the analog output section of such device? I was hoping to use the D/A in my preamp.

One option would be to not connect them together and just directly output it to the preamp. Not ideal by any means.

And I've also noticed there isn't a video out anymore...?? That must make navigation viturally impossible.

Seems like this is a dying breed...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

The onboard DAC's on the non ES models are terrible so I wouldn't plan on using the analog outs for anything other then multi zone applications. The lack of video out isn't an issue with the pronto's and SNL

Comment

• junior77blue
                    • Nov 2004

Hey Andrew, is there a quick synopsis (previous thread) of how the pronto will work with the mega changers? i.e. how is programming completed, etc?

What happens if I were to use 2 mega changers? I guess I would loose the crossfade ability since I can't use the analog input/output. I could then use the digital output and plug that directly into my HT preamp (need to check how many open Toslink inputs I have).

Any comments as to which ES model was the latest and greatest? 555ES or other?

Are the DACs on the ES models 'good' or just better than the Non-ES?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

There used to be a thread called SuperNudelist or some such thing that I wrote to step you through it. If you google SuperNudelist you should come across Leo's site that will help walk you though it as well.

Two megachangers can co-exist in that you can set them up to use different IR codes..the only issue there is you'd need seperate lists for each jukebox and yes you'd loose cross fade.

The ES models DAC's are actually pretty good...not sure if they'd be better then what you have already but its likely.

Comment

• junior77blue
                        • Nov 2004

Anyone know the version history of the ES models? Which one to get...etc? Considering i'm looking for CD only...but maybe I will look at their new one, CD,DVD,SACD.

Comment

• junior77blue
                          • Nov 2004

finally something for all us MAC users...

Not sure how it compares to a pronto. Of course assuming you have a free powerbook laying around.

Comment

• junior77blue
                            • Nov 2004

Well no open toslink inputs on my preamp....

Anyone recommend a good new or used DAC? ~$200-300 with at least 2 toslink inputs?

hmm...how heavy do one of these get fully loaded....I need to weigh a cd. 400x___g

Is the mechanics between the ES and non-ES something to worry about? Do they both operate smoothly?

Comment

• junior77blue
                              • Nov 2004

Anyone have first hand personal experience with the Sony CDP-M555ES 400 disk changer?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

I think that's the one that Kevin Patz uses.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                  • Nov 2004

Hopefully he will see this and chime in...

Andrew, what component do you use?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Component as in the cables or which changer? I use the 985 changer for movies and the cx335 for CD's

Comment

• junior77blue
                                      • Nov 2004

I was referring to changer...

Any quality issues to speak of?

I'm able to purchase a new CDP-M555es new for $500, thinking about getting two of them but not sure about quality (sound & build). No demo for me to see or play with.

I'm guessing your not happy with the sound quality from the CX335, but for background music its ok? Cause I can get (2) CX455 for the price of one ES model.

Comment

• Kevin P
                                        • Aug 2000

Yes I now own two CDP-M555ES jukeboxes. One of them is in my Cubicle Tubicle system so I can vouch for its sound quality. IMHO it's worth the extra $ to spring for the ES model especially if you are going to use the analog outs. Not to say an external DAC won't sound better. When I got my Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi I compared the two and the Pioneer (which generally gets rave reviews for audio) had smoother midrange. Although the 555ES is no longer made they can still be found on Ebay and places like that.

Build quality wise the Sony changers are well built, both the ES and non-ES models. We've installed the non-ES 300 disc unit (CDP-CX335 or 355) in several homes w/whole house audio systems and no one has had a single problem with them. The main benefits of the ES model are the better DACs, video out and the 2 way remote. In fact, if you use the 2 way remote you won't need a Pronto w/SuperNudeList as the titles are downloaded into the remote from the changer automatically. It does help to burn copies of your CDs and add CD Text to them, as then the changer will read the titles and display them automatically. You can also title from the remote, the changer, or by plugging a PC keyboard into the changer. I prefer the CD Text method myself, especially when Nero can download the titles from the internet automatically to put on the CD.

Once I get my home, and my home system rebuilt (I bought the second 555ES for home) I'll compare the ES DAC against the ones in my pre-pro and see how they stack up. That won't be for several months anyway.

One more thing to note: if you go with a 400 disc changer, make sure you have room in your cabinet/rack for it. The CDP-M555ES is 21 inches deep, which is much deeper than most components. It needs to be big to hold 400 CDs.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                          • Nov 2004

Supposedly, I can still get a new ES changer from an authorised dealer.

So, if I plan on using the analog out, then go for the ES. If I plan on using an outboard DAC, then go for an non-ES? Is that a fair conclusion?

I'm thinking in the long run I will spend about the same money to purchase a non-es, i.e., pronto controller, external dac. Thinking about it, probably more! DAC's with 2 optical inputs are not cheap!!

Comment

• junior77blue
                                            • Nov 2004

oh, my rack can handle it if I remove the backing.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

In fact, if you use the 2 way remote you won't need a Pronto w/SuperNudeList as the titles are downloaded into the remote from the changer automatically.
                                              :nono: There's no subsitute for SNL. 2 way communication is ok but it would be tedious compared to the slick SNL interface.

My CD jukebox has been used everyday for the last couple of years and its never given me a hint of a problem. I haven't had the DVD changer as long but so far its been solid as well.

For the sound quality I use the digital connection to my pre amp the analog cables to feed zone two and for that the analog works great. For the DAC what you could likely do is get an optical to digital coax converter to allow you to run both changers to one DAC as most have optical and digital Coax inputs.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                                • Nov 2004

Hmm....interesting options.

I think $500 for improved DACs is a bit redundant especially if I were to purchase 2? Where as one DAC could handle this. Granted a good DAC costs anywhere from $300-$1000.

Andrew, can you recommend an optical to digital coax converter?

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                                  • Jan 2004

I have had a Sony CDP-M555ES 400 disk changer for several years now, and I have a modified version of SNL that will allow you to use the 32 track Programmable mode on the changer which allows the pronto and SNL to work like a jukebox. Just touch the songs you want and it will add to the program list for playback, even works on the fly while your playing music, so you can add songs as you go and it will put them at the end of the list. I have used this for a few years and liked it very much. However having said that I recently went to a HD based music system with Cinemar’s Music lobby and now I never play CD's from my changer any more, the pronto was just too much trouble to keep updated and the lag between songs was annoying.
                                                  My Center Channel Project

Comment

• junior77blue
                                                    • Nov 2004

Thanks for the post!

Hmm....sound quality with a HD vs. CD?

I'm gonna do a google for cinemar's any other players in this arena?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

I'm not sure if there's one converter that's better then another...I know radio shack's got one that apparently works fine

Comment

• junior77blue
                                                        • Nov 2004

Thanks for the feedback as always Andrew!!

I just need to sort out price/availability on some ES changers. What a pain they are to find. Sony stores still have them but at full retail cost!!

$1000 for 800 cd's....then I need to figure out the front end. Looks like there are a few options out there.

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"