X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nathan P
    • Mar 2006

toslink (Optical) or coaxial?

So? Which do you use/prefer. I have optical right now, but I have setup a home theater with coaxial, and both sounded great. Is there any real world difference, or is it just preference?
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Well, this one ranks right up there with "cheap speaker cables vs. expensive speaker cables".

Personally, I heard a difference and like coax better. In the various attempts at A/B-testing them that I've been around, to me Toslink had a bit of a harsh edge to the sound. However, YMMAPWV (your mileage may, and probably will vary)!

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Fishy
      • Jul 2004

I also prefered the coax over the optical connection. Both were good quality cables, but just found the quality from the coax better.

Fish

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Honestly, I have used both early on and could not tell any difference in quality. But I have been using, for some time now, one of Doug's coax cables, running from my Sony 7700 to the Denon. It beats anything I heard from cheaper coax or the mid-priced optical cables I had used previously.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Alloroc
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Fishy
          I also prefered the coax over the optical connection. Both were good quality cables, but just found the quality from the coax better.

Fish
          Ditto.
          Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"