X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

What's going on with hi-def dvd ?

HD-DVD (Toshiba) was to launch March 28 but has delayed it by 2 to 3 weeks. Do you suppose there is something going on in the backrooms between Toshiba and Sony ?
    My Homepage!
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I'd have to take a pessimist view and say no. We're seeing some big delays on future technology this year, with HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and PS3 all pushed back.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Ya, probably just wishfull thinking on my part.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

I'm guessing they've found a problem with the format (from what I've heard). It's minor, but enough for them to to delay it a few weeks...

Just what I've heard, might not be any truth to it.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• kurtholz
          • Feb 2005

so what outrageous expensive new players are there that play the new format's?

i haven'y seen anything in the magazines about any player

Kurt

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

I know when they were anounced at CES, the copy protection wasn't even finalized yet. Has it been since?

Kevin D.

Comment

• gianni
              • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Kevin D
              I know when they were anounced at CES, the copy protection wasn't even finalized yet. Has it been since?

Kevin D.

No surprise - that's the only thing that drives them to promote the new formats anyway. They and most people could not care less abiut sound quality - really too bad.

Comment

• eddiem67
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D

Kevin D.
                No it hasn't, talking to Matt Good from Denon yesterday, they are completely skipping the 1st gen run of HD players that everyone else is producing until all the bugs are fixed. PS3 will not start shipping until Dec. Then there is the HDMI 1.3 issue that is going on with the audio modes DD+, dtsHD that is still in the works. I wouldnt hold my breath on HD players, its already been, what 2 yrs since thet been promising to market these units.
                My Car Audio

Comment

• Nathan P
                  • Mar 2006

Is blueray in the same boat? Also, why are manufacturers backing HD-DVD when blueray holds, what I think 20 more Gb?

Comment

• peterS
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

we got a memo regarding toshibas hddvd player
                    it is comming out in the next 90 days in conjunction with some movies
                    price has not been detirmined (or isnt being released yet) my guess is aprox $450

look at bestbuys website and you will see a blueray player listed too

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by eddiem67
                      No it hasn't, talking to Matt Good from Denon yesterday, they are completely skipping the 1st gen run of HD players that everyone else is producing until all the bugs are fixed. PS3 will not start shipping until Dec. Then there is the HDMI 1.3 issue that is going on with the audio modes DD+, dtsHD that is still in the works. I wouldnt hold my breath on HD players, its already been, what 2 yrs since thet been promising to market these units.

It's so hard to explain...
                      Bu!!$hit is the juice that fuels this machine... Blu~Ray and HD DVD are formats of no real concern today or even this summer..

The hype has out-paced the performance model, again. Thank goodness DVDs are still chaep and look great!

Disney saw it 12 months ago, we'll belive it when we see it, until then we're in the DVD business.

Comment

• autio
                        • Mar 2005

I seen a JVC hd dvd player at my local Stereo store last weekend. I guess it was just a proto type (not for sale) they played it for me though. It was an amazing picture. I am not an expert, but they took me into a room and hooked it up to a sony ruby-projected to a screen that was (I think )106 inches diagonal, and even with too much ambient light the picture was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. The dvd was something from jvc and it had vey artfully done scenes with lots of contrasting colors and many little details that you would of course need hd to see.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by autio
                          I seen a JVC hd dvd player at my local Stereo store last weekend. I guess it was just a proto type (not for sale) they played it for me though. It was an amazing picture. I am not an expert, but they took me into a room and hooked it up to a sony ruby-projected to a screen that was (I think )106 inches diagonal, and even with too much ambient light the picture was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. The dvd was something from jvc and it had vey artfully done scenes with lots of contrasting colors and many little details that you would of course need hd to see.
                          Yes, I saw that JVC unit being installed at World Wide Stereo in Philly a few weeks ago, it's a modified device they have built. It uses discs that JVC has shot some hi-def material on, looks awesome (I agree)

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"