• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Toshiba 57HX93 The Story, The Results!!

Hi!

I just purchased the Toshiba 57HX93 last weekend and have it installed into our family room. High Defination broadcasts are aquired courtesy of the Bell ExpressVu 6000 HD Satelite Receiver.
    We had made some changes in the house in which the downstairs Theater room was converted for Movies only with the acquisition of the Matinee 2HD FPTV.
    This forced us to use the family room for daily TV viewing. Prior, we had the option of 2 rooms which was splitting up family time together.
    Now as a family we watch movies downstairs on the big screen and TV upstairs in the family room. This is a much better set-up and more practical for our family and home.
    Anyways, with new HD satelite in the family room it became apparent that we needed a 16x9 set . It just made much more sense for the type of programming that we are receiving.

I started out with a lot of research in looking at various sets. DLP, LCD and CRT. I did some first person viewing, I did some reading on the interent and I did some reading of reviews from magazines.
    One magazine that caught my attention was the HT magazine that I have been buying for a few years now.
    The February 2004 issue featured a FACE-OFF which compared 10 HD-Ready TV's. What was interesting of this review was that it was a gathering of the best units from 10 manufactures and included the different technologies from DLP,LCD and CRT. Another intersting point was the reviews or observations were not really on the technical side, but more so on the the performance of the unit in how the picture looked. These were reviewed by 6 individuals (editors,etc) who basically over a few days watched various materials on the sets and then decided which sets produced the best picture qualities to determine their rankings out of the 10 sets.

HT Magazine has several catagories to rank a unit on.
    The most important one is performance in my mind.
    They rank other catagories including build quality, value , features, and ergonomics. However at the end of the day it's the performance that usually determines what we buy, especially when money is not a concern. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.
    Here is how the sets were ranked in terms of Performance out of 100.

86 *Toshiba 46HX83 46" CRT HD Monitor ($2,100us)##
    87 *RCA HDLP61W151 61" DLP HDTV ($4,000us)
    87 *Zenith D60WLCD 60" LCD HD Monitor ($3,700us)
    88 *Pioneer Elite PRO-530HD 53" CRT HD Monitor ($5,000us)
    89 *Mitsubishi WS-65613 65" CRT HDTV ($3,800us)
    90 *Gateway GTW-R56M103 56" DLP HD Monitor ($3,800us)
    91 *Samsung HLN467W 46" DLP HD Monitor ($3,800us)
    92 *Sony KDP-65WS550 65" CRT HDTV ($3,300us)
    94 *Hitachi 57X500 57" CRT HD Monitor ($3,500us)
    95 *Sony KF-60WE610 60" LCD HD Monitor ($4,000us)
    96 *Toshiba 65HX93 65" CRT HDTV ($3,700us)
    ##Note: I included the Toshiba HX83 model score into this which
    had actually been reviewed seperately in the DEC issue.

Being a Toshiba fan, owning 2 sets already it was cool to see the performance rating of 96 given to the HX93 set. I had viewed some of the new Toshiba's but had never seen the HX93 models. When I inquired about them at a local Electronics outlet , I was told they aren't available in Canada due to the built in HDTV tuner..With that news I didn't expect to see one ever and there for decided the Toshiba HX83 would be my choice when I did decide to pull the plug. The Toshiba or the Hitachi S Series. The Hitachi X series that was reviewed is also not available in Canada.

A couple of weeks ago , while doing my regular rounds at the HT outlets , I am having a conversation with a salesperson which tells me they have the HX93's coming in soon. I spoke of the previous info I was given at another outlet explaining they weren't available in Canada. This guys tells me they are, except they are only available to certain Authorized Dealers and these guys were one of them. He explained to me the built in tuner wasn't the only difference in the HX93 vs the HX83. The lense system was completely different as well. He then went on the explain the Niltava lense system.
    So on that note I bought one sight unseen as I knew it was going to be a real good set.

NILTAVA LENS
    Here is what this lense offers.
    Niltava Advanced Lens Technology.
    Each Lens is specifically tuned to the color wavelength of the CRT.
    Unlike conventional lens technologies, an asymetrical grinding process
    of the lensdelivers enhanced focusing and reduces lens flare.
    The Niltava lens creates an extremely accurate beam spot with a vastly
    superior level of optical resolution resulting in stunning HD picture quality.

I received my set, The Toshiba 57HX93 last weekend.
    Although I am not an expert on the technical part of these set's,
    I did have to calibrate it in the convergeance. I used the 56 point convergeance system which is a nice option , the magic touch focus didn't really do to much.
    After that, I adjusted the Contrast , Color, Brightness , Sharpness ETC..
    Enabled 16x9 programing and was set to go.
    We receive approx 20 channels of HD programming through our Satelite
    programmer Bell ExpressVu, which basically covers any TV watching that we do, most being the Networks.
    All I can say is that HD viewing on this set is stunning.
    16x9 programming on a 57" set is stunnning.
    Flesh tones are so real, Colors are extremely vibrant even white color, the picture is so sharp and focused, artifacts from regular satelite are no longer an issue and are non-existant. The picture is so smooth, it has a liquidy 3D look to it. You have to see it to understand.
    One word sums up the picture quality I get with this set.

STUNNING :E :E :E

Hope you enjoyed my Story and Adventure in finding the
    perfect RPTV for our Family.

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Sounds good Trev.... 8)

I too looked at it comparing a Pioneer set beside it. The funny thing was the Sales man was telling me that in his opinon, Pioneer makes the better RPTV and that Toshiba X93 would be next in line. I said "you mean like this Pioneer set?" To which he said "well actually the Elite series, but that Pioneer set is awesome too..."

I then said, "but the Tosh 51X93 looks sharper overall, look at the seats in the back gound and the wood grain in the commentators table.. " To which he responded "Your right it is sharper... B, b, but the color is more acurate on the Pioneer" Me thinking to myslef 'Whatever' :roll: It was funny I thought.

In the end it looked pretty darn good for the money!

I too have that issue of the HDTV face off. I'm not sure I agree with most of the reviewers findings on the sets, but then my conditions have been on showroom floors.

I'm leaning towards the 51X93 because the price is excellent, it will be a great replacement for the 36" XBR

Does Tosh employ some type of anti-burn in for the gray bars of 4:3 or 2:35 material on these TV's?

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

To be honest Bing, with so many new technologies coming out and ones like DLP improving and becoming cheaper on practically a daily basis... I'd almost say your best off going with a nice RPTV like the Toshiba or a Hitachi especially if you can get an excellent deal on one. (The Tosh obviously having an advantage there in your case.)

As nice as DLP and others can be or even FP's it's all just moving so fast that 2-3 years from now you might be able to get a 3-chip 1080p DLP projector for not much more than you're paying for that Toshiba... Personally I think once some 1080p set and projectors have been out for a year or two the prices will drop drastically.

At least at that point I don't forsee resolutions going up much more. Sure newer, "better" technologies will be out by then too but I think it will be more a case of technology options than technology trade offs in a couple years. As such a nice, affordable and good quality RPTV could be a nice "in-between" set. That's what I did

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• Trevor Schell
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Does Tosh employ some type of anti-burn in for the gray bars of 4:3 or 2:35 material on these TV's?
        Not sure Bing!
        My bars are black BTW.
        I think burn in is a myth.
        I have had RPTV's for over 5 years and never had any burn in problems.
        Likely I would upgrade I guess, before burn in became an issue.
        Anywyas, At first I had a bit of fear because of the station logo's possibly burning in. Never was an issue.

Sounds like you were talking to a Yahoo over there at AW.
        The guy I deal with is pretty down to earth , realistic and educated.

Trevor
        My HomeTheater S.E.
        Sonically Enhanced
        C5
        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bam!
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2004

Hi guys!

Trevor wrote:

have had RPTV's for over 5 years and never had any burn in problems.
          Likely I would upgrade I guess, before burn in became an issue.
          Anywyas, At first I had a bit of fear because of the station logo's possibly burning in. Never was an issue.
          It`s true never did burn in and I was also one of those that was worried about the logo of the station just staying there....I have left my PS1 and PS2 running on a still image for hours (by mistake) and it never did anything....

So all this to say I agree with you Trevor on that one!

Bam!
          Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Trev, check in your set's setup, you may be able to pick grey or black bars to your preference.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
            Jason

Comment

• Trevor Schell
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Jason, They are Black right now and that's exactly the way I would want them. I can't stand the grey color. :nonod:

Trevor
              My HomeTheater S.E.
              Sonically Enhanced
              C5
              Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Glen
                • Dec 2003

Burn in happens.

I've seen alot of burn in. I've held CRT's in my hand that you could read the weather channel or station ID off of ( albeit inverted ). I've also seen direct view TV's that you could read the weather channel off of ( when they're not even plugged in! ). Any image that is projected long enough on a CRT will cause burn in.

Ooo, sorry about that - got a little worked up. :smackbutt:

Next time your out for a walk at night, and you can see the warm glow of T.V.'s shinning through peoples windows - see how many of them are tuned to them weather station ( no voyerism now, just a casual glance :LOL: ). So many people leave it on for the music (?). I always want to knock on the door and say 'your rekin your TV, just listen to the radio!'.

Oh well, just my opinion. I do caution against it though. Newer direct view and RPTV's have CRT's that run at higher voltages to get flatter screens and darker tint ( on direct views ) and more brightness ( on RPTV ). The higher the voltage, the quicker burn in happens. So just because it didn't happen on your older TV, doesn't mean your safe with your new TV. Those bars on the 4x3 image can burn in, as well as the staion ID's, video game scores, etc. ( and the manufacture does not cover it under warranty ).

I really hate seeing an expensive TV's get ruined like that.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Trev I've got to agree, at least a bit, with Glen. If you're doing any more than just a little 4:3 viewing on your set I recommend changing the bars to grey or utilizing Toshiba's best out there, IMO, stretch modes to increase the life of your set. Toshiba is famous for having the best stretch modes out there, hell I've heard a few people buy them over other sets they liked better JUST for the stretch modes because they do lot's of 4:3 viewing.

On initial viewing lots of people find the stretch modes annoying but make yourself try it for a week. My whole family is used to our Hitachi's stretch modes and they're not as good as Toshiba's.

Jason

Jason

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"