X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotel&energy
    • May 2004

iPod HiFi

I own an Apple computer and an old 1st generation iPod. Today, Apple introduced a "boombox" of sorts for the iPod called the iPod HiFi. Steve Jobs talked up sound quality, but I just can't see it being audiophile grade. Any thoughts?
    Christopher
  • rotel&energy
    • May 2004

for $349 you get to 80mm drivers and one 130 mm dual voice coil driver. Mr. Jobs mentioned he's getting rid of his stereo for this...you think he'll actually part w/ his Wilson WATT Puppy speakers that he is rumored to own? :roll:
    Christopher

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Did he define which stereo he was getting rid of? I think I could pain myself to help him out if he wishes to get rid of those pesky and unaudiophile grade Wilson speakers.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

We all know this thoroughly dominates ANYTHING Wilson audio can come up with. DUH!!! No wonder he's selling his watt puppies! :P
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

:lol:
          Jason

Comment

• cotdt
            • Oct 2005

These IPOD hifis blow away the Orions!

Comment

• cinema bob
              • Apr 2005

Eh, so a manufacturer overhypes their product welcome to a free market system. Its no worse than the BS that you get around the Blose wave radio, and I'm sure this sounds alot better that POS.

Comment

• gostan
                • May 2003

Well, Apple is simply attempting to catch up and cash in on the Ipod peripheral market, which, in many instances, is more profitable than selling Ipods.

I may order five of these to replace my B&W's. I wonder if Apple has any bulk pricing.
                Attached Files
                Stan

Comment

• rotel&energy
                  • May 2004

not bashing Apple

Just so you know, I wasn't bashing Apple. Good for them that they are cashing in on the market that's out there. I just thought the comment was a bit of hyperbole. Personally, I think they could have foregone the speakers and introduced something along the lines of where they are heading w/ the Mac Mini - that is a Windows Media Center computer w/ iPod integration. Plug the thing in to your stereo via a high/decent quality connection and control it all from your sofa. The boombox only takes you half the way there.
                  Christopher

Comment

• purplepeople
                    • Aug 2004

I think hi-fi is a relatively accurate term considering the demographic. IOW, if I'm always listening to lossy compression with little white things in my ear, then even an beginners DIY speaker will sound pretty good by comparison. The fact that it's battery powered indicates it's likely a digital amplifier, maybe Tripath or Purepath chips, so it can't be that bad for a portable. And, most likely, Mr. Jobs will get rid of the iBose or iDock that's sitting on the shelf in his office. I'll bet he just hated the idea of having to use someone else's dock.

ensen.
                    Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• cinema bob
                      • Apr 2005

yeah I knew you weren't bashing apple i was just pointing out that this level of hyperbole is common in economics. FWIW apple has a history of multimedia integration. the apple set-top box is an interesting product from a few years ago as well as the Pippen and the Macintosh TV. I for one would love to see them make a modern version of any of these products.

Comment

• abqnmusa
                        • Jan 2006

LOL Ipod & hifi. The music on ipods are compressed music. That is not hifi

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

I agree... I don't think you can put "ipod" and "hi-fi" in the same sentence, without the word, "NOT".

ipod, mp3, etc, have their place, but it's NOT in hi-fi.
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• KeithM
                            • Oct 2005

I know somebody that actually bought the bose ipod dock thing. It sounds horrible, but she doesn't want to admit it after spending 300 some dollars on it.

Comment

• cotdt
                              • Oct 2005

usually apple doesn't something innovative by their resourcefulness. this time i'm disappointed. I thought they were going to release a $350 speaker that can smash $1000 dedicated speakers, but even $100 speakers at the local electronics store will beat it. where did all the money go? into the electronics and amp?

Comment

• Bob
                                • Jul 2000

If you think that you can't use ipod and hi-fi in the same sentence you have been missing out. You have several choices on how you want to import your cds into your apple computer and from there to your ipod. You don't have to compress. Even the DAC in the ipod isn't all that bad. Probably as good as the ones many of you have in your cd players, although I'm eventually going to look into running it through a external DAC.
                                Because I don't use compression I can't put anywhere near the amount of cds in my ipod as you can with compression. But, at anytime I can delete some music and add more from my computer. I actually listen to my ipod way more than my cd player but, that isn't saying much since I think that I have had my player for 3 years now and have never listened to a complete cd on it. But, I like the idea of my ipod as a source for my office system where I can put it on shuffle and be surprised at what comes up.

Comment

• H.T.C
                                  • Nov 2003

Klipsch has a ipod speaker system using horns and there is a very expensive vacume tubed ipod speaker system ($5000.00) from germany described in i think tas magazine.
                                  Robert

Comment

• Vinny
                                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by H.T.C
                                    Klipsch has a ipod speaker system using horns and there is a very expensive vacume tubed ipod speaker system ($5000.00) from germany described in i think tas magazine.
                                    I think youre mentioning about Klipsch's iFi set. I never understand how the new integrated horn works anyway ops: . They are using the RSX-3 speakers as the satellite, which is the new products from like the end of 2004 for all those new LCD/plasma simplicity/slim marketing stuff.

I wish they had produced something like RSX-5(which goes down to 92) or even better that the satellite speakers could approach 80Hz and let the crossover stays at 80Hz. The RSX-3 can only go down to 116Hz and it's still a big range until it matches with the subwoofer(they tuned the crossover to 120Hz instead of 80Hz for those iFi). And this blocked me from buying a set of iFi to my cousin's 21st birthday(I gave her some cash instead : )

I'd take a $500 system for the iPod........ but anymore than that I'd say it wasted the system's potential. And the sad thing is.... I got myself a Creative Zen Nano player which is only $80 and had better sound quality than the iPod :B (Creative player uses Audigy chipset which aren't that great.... and iPod was worse :roll: )
                                    Pioneer KRP-500M
                                    Emotiva UMC-1
                                    Parasound 5125
                                    Oppo BDP-83
                                    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                                    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

I used to be one of those guys that ...
                                      "You know, i dont understand I pods, or the people who have them.. whats the big fuggin deal!?"

Then I recieved my first MP3 player, and my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th...

Then I used an Ipod.... and was like WOW! thats fuggin easy!
                                      I now have a 4gig nano and LOVE IT! Shoveling snow, mowing the lawn, working out, riding the bike.. the nano is with me! At work, where ever! Damn nice to have!

Hifi!? Hell no.
                                      Convenient? You bethcha!

*Christopher Hearts his Ipod*
                                      Last edited by Race Car Driver; 29 March 2006, 17:58 Wednesday.
                                      B&W

Comment

• Nathan P
                                        • Mar 2006

And you guys have to admit, the apple lossless/AAC coded is hundreds of times better than mp3, I doubt you could tell the difference than it or the sound of a CD from any of today's regular handheld CD players, not that they are a benchmark of quality or anything, but that is what it's up against, and it's way more convenient.

Comment

• Lotus 78
                                          • May 2005

The Ipod is the best $600 (with the sure ear buds) that I have ever spent on an audio product. Not HiFi but it gives me access to over 3000 songs (Apple Lossless, 60g) from my CD collection on the go. I also use it as a music server at home.

The apple lossless is much better the mp3 but nowhere close to my rotel 1072

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"