• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kurtholz
    • Feb 2005

Krell EQ question

Hi All

let me predicate my question

this is the tough question of the day, i know what a huge amount of work could go into an answer, so if someone knows a book or website with this info, i am happy to try and figure it out myself,

i have tried playing around with it, but just can't get it right

OK, the question

I have the Krell showcase 7.1 processor, at the room EQ setup menu, there are six filter types,
    notch filter
    peaking filter
    high shelf filter
    low shelf filter
    high pass filter

plus they all have 3 parameters that can be varied, (freq),(shape),(Level)

i tried dealing with my EX dealer, but they dont have a clue, also, emailed Krell, but they were about as much help as the dealer ( EX) :-)

if anyone can give me some help on what these filters do and how they affect sound, maybe some general opinions on what settings i should use, i can tweak it from there

any help mucho appreciated

thanks

Kurt
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

notch filter removes a narrow band peak (aka spike)

high shelf filter/low shelf filter, these are broad range filters used to add or remove high or low frequencies. They effect the overall tonal balance

low-pass filter removes frequencies higher than the cut-off frequency, allowing the lower frequencies to pass through

high-pass filter removes frequencies lower than the cut-off frequency, allowing the higher frequencies to pass through

peaking filter emphasizes frequencies near the cut-off frequency which emphasizes a specific frequency band

In order to successfully use any of these you need test equipment to take in-room measurements. This isn't something that can be done by ear.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Duke
      • Dec 2004

Yea. The Krell EQ can be quite complicated. I have the showcase so I have played around a bit. I used it to tame a big swell I had in my sub. I also have a PDF that tries to explain it. If anybody would like a copy, just PM your email address and I will be happy to send it.

Comment

• Claude D D
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by ThomasW
        In order to successfully use any of these you need test equipment to take in-room measurements. This isn't something that can be done by ear.
        I agree 100%. Any EQ or room treatments done without knowing where the attention is needed can cause more problems than it solves. We have a fellow in our store that uses a Iasys to "shoot" a room and determine what areas need attention. If you can find someone in your area who performs this service it can be invaluable. :T

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"