X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Emoto
    • Mar 2005

intro and video focus question

Hi folks,

New here! Great forum. Been learning a lot. I am a newbie to home theater. I'm currently running a Zenith 32" HDTV (don't have model info on anything handy) with an Onky 5.1 surround amp and big Cambridge Soundworks mains with lesser center and rears.

Here's my question. On the Zenith and on the 25" NEC monitor/receiver that it replaced, I'm getting weird focus problems. Fine detail does in and out of focus as you watch it. This varies in intensity and frequency. It happens on DVD and with the Comcast (non-HD) cable box. Any ideas what causes this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance!

Emoto
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

It might just be your welcome to HDTV. Because of the resolution, you might just be seeing focus changes in the source material.

On the DVDs, are you talking about scene to scene, or do you actually see it changing in a single shot?

BB

Comment

• Emoto
      • Mar 2005

Well, that would be lovely, but sadly is not the case. Focus changes when it shouldn't. For example, when viewing the channel guide grid, the letters and grid lines become blurry and then get sharp again.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Hi Bob, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

Are your mains and CC shielded? Have you tried moving them further from the TV? Generally magnetic interference will show up as oddly colored splotches on the screen, but in this case it may just be the magnets causing you grief of another kind. If that doesn't resolve it, I'd race that TV back to the dealer and get it checked out.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

Or is there something with a big electric motor near it (through the wall in another room) like a washing machine or some such? Same effect as an unshielded speaker.

BB

Comment

• Uncle Clive
            Former Moderator
            • Jan 2002

You could even try taking AC from a different area to see if there is a voltage problem where you have it now.
            CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I asked my sis in law who used to work on CRT displays and she said...

"I never heard of the problems with the focus coming in and out due to speakers but it is worth a try and was suggested. I am trying to remember if it is either the yoke and or the FBT that deals with the focus. I think mainly the FBT. What I would do in the case is I would isolate the TV from the rest of the system and feed it different signals to see if the situation is resolved or not. If not I would take it back to the store because it is most likely the FBT."

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

FBT=Flyback transformer?

BB

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Sorry yes the Flyback Transformer

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"