X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pieter
    • Jan 2005

System vs Media priority

Which is worth more, your system or your media collection?

Why?
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Pieter, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

It depends. If you look at all media (DVDs, CDs, vinyl) vs. total system then the media is the most valuable. If you are looking at DVDs vs system to play them, then the system. CDs and vinyl? About even.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

Media by a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng shot.

Comment

• Patt
        • Feb 2005

Hello Pieter,

My 100 or so DVD's are less than the TV, speakers reciever and player they are being used on. :tv:

Now if they keep coming out with some really good movies, the media might be in the lead someday.
        ......Pat

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Yes.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Feb 2002

hmmm, don't tell my wife but I probably have more dough in media than electronics....damn, that's a sobering thought.....oh well
            Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

Well $20 here or there adds up..That's just dvd's. Tv sets and other collections that are worth a bunch add up too.

My Laserdisc collection is worth a small mint

Then there is my cd collection.

Comment

• Pieter
                • Jan 2005

Thanks for the welcome, David.

Media would run the gamut from vinyl to DVD etc. Heck, even wax cylinders if you've got them!

System = anything and all that reproduces the above.

I was hoping that this thread would elicit reaction; probe and finger our motives as to why we spend so much on a system. Also, whether this amount is disproportionate in relation to the money spent on media.

Yes, a great setup can bring us closer to the performance/event. But then, how many discs/albums are up to the sytem's standard? Most of us own media that is sub-par as to sound/video quality, but absolutely stellar when performance is considered. We make allowance, our ears and brain compensate, our hearts follow...

Now, we do not wish to hamstring those audio/videophile discs... So we keep throwing money, and more of it, at an ever diminishing discordance but never quite attainable goal. Where does this stop?

I realize that each draws his own line in the sand, but how often do we overstep that line?!

Comment

• Nick M
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

If you consider the average DVD is about $15, I have about $5k in DVDs, and probably another $1k in CDs. So at the moment I have alot more money in Media.
                  ~Nick

Comment

• Patt
                    • Feb 2005

Nicholas, .......the Media master :B
                    ......Pat

Comment

• htsteve
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

System

In terms of dollars, the system is definitely more.

Comment

• Pieter
                        • Jan 2005

My prejudice leans towards spending more on media than the system.

I started collecting CDs in the early 90's, experienced an hiatus of about 5 years whilst studying and starting a new career, then resumed the purchase of discs in earnest from about 2002 onwards.

Slammed on the brakes purchasing media at the end of last year as I'm trying to build a reasonable 5.1 rig. Slow progress...

So the value of my sytem is fast aproaching and will soon overshoot that of my media. Cause for concern in my view.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"