Home Theater Config without Compromise in 2-channel Audio?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • austriacus
    • Jan 2005

Home Theater Config without Compromise in 2-channel Audio?

Colleagues:

I am looking for a balanced solution between audio and video. My disappointment is that surround-receivers (like the Denon 3805 I tested) are "big engines" with a lot of buttons and plugs but really do not fulfill my requirements for listening to stereo. So I am thinking to invest in a Rotel Stereo-Solution (I am owning TRIANGLE speakers) and importing the audio-source digitally.

My profile:

# Typical living room, investment 10-15k€

# 40% Audio (CD's, Stereo), Jazz + "natural" sound from reeds, piano, voices...; I do not believe in a great future of SACD and DVD Audio

# 30% Stereo-Video (own Material; I want to escape the need to burn everything on DVD but to play it directly from the Computer as MPEG2 or MPEG4)

# 30% DVD and in future HDTV (big surround "noise" has not priority)

Solution Discussed:

# Rotel Amp as Stereo-"Back-bone" with (existing) Triangle speakers

# A DLP video-projector for 2-4k€ with a utilisation for the next 2-3 years (then I expect 1080p to be the right joice)

# Pinnacle Show-Center or MS X-Box as Central Duke-Box both for AUDIO and VIDEO

# An audiophile DVD-player without an expensive D/A-converter for AUDIO feeding the Amp digitally, codefree of course (tests on Denon's 3910: the only week point is stereo-play!?)

# A separate Amp (may be a cheaper one) + small speakers (even Bose?) for surround sound

#Optional a Plasma-Screen for "looking TV": Panasonic 435 or comparable.

My questions to you:

1) What do you think about the configuaration for my profile? Improvements? Suggested changes?

2) Do you think that Rotel Amps are "half way" between DENON 3805 and a THETHYS Casablanca?

3) What do you think about solutions like Pinnacle Show-Center: What would be the difference in picture-quality between an MPEG2-File through such a Show-Center and a DVD-Signal say from a DENON 3910?

Thank you for your well-appreciated help in advance. Best wishes for 2005!
  • big G
    • Jan 2005

Nad

I notice there are tons of Rotel fans out there (me included). But for mostly 2 channel music appreciation and a bonus of decent HT, are you considering NAD? My bro replaced his NAD 762 with a Rotel 100 x 5 reciever (forget the number) and could notice the loss in his music listening experience. This is of course subjective but we both agreed that there was a trade off.
    I assume Rotel seperates are a different story though???

Comment

• austriacus
      • Jan 2005

Greg,

thanks for your impressions. NAD definitely has a very good image. I also liked the Danish Copeland stereo-amp very much for stereo.

Also seeing the efforts from Sony to produce surround-sound in amateur camcorders is more a FASHION than has anything to do with quality or real need. This is really to grandstand.

Even more interesting is that the CD-Sales still slighty increase while the SACD und AUDIO-DVD have DECREASING sales!!!

This underlines that obviously some groups go for "noise and effects" in Films, others go for Music...

Is there a difference in feeding a projector through a computer-source with MPEG2 and using an expensive DVD-player?

Any more suggestions colleagues?

Austriacus

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

The best improvement you can make if 2 channel music is more important to you than HT is to get a preamp with a bypass mode and only use your AV receveiver for movies. It took me a long time to come to this realization. I had a top of the line Theta system with a CBII with extreme DACS and didn't want to beleive that a preamp could better it. Then I started doing comparisons and found that every preamp I tried easily made better music. At first I bought a used 10 year old Audio Research pre amp for a few hundred dollars but, it didn't have a bypass and I would have to switch the interconnects back and forth. Even that was worth the trouble.

Comment

• austriacus
          • Jan 2005

I agree, also in my current equipment (YAMAHA) the by-pass mode easily outperforms the DENON 3805.

What about the D/A-conversion: would you prefer the conversion to be done in the DVD-player or by the Pre-Amp / Receiver?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"