X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bubu bear
    • Dec 2004

Beginner needs help !

I'm at a point where all of you have been. I'm 17 and would like to buy my first proper audio set. After reading piles of brochures and listening to bullshit stories in the stores, I'm lost! :cry:

I can clearly hear WHAT Jazz, house or classic song is playing on my old Sony cdp-791 with F-411R amp, and IQ Lady 120 speakers. But the experience can be increased! :M

Considering my budget of a meagre Euro 2000,- (USD 2500,-) What GOOD system IS available? Or should I go to the bank and put all my cash on a savings account for the next 20 years???

Bert
  • Bill Blank
    • Sep 2002

If all you're interested in is 2-ch I'd look at a nice entry-level Integrated Amp from NAD, Arcam, Rotel, or Cambridge Audio. Add an entry-level CD Player from Cambridge Audio or Marantz and a nice pair of stand-mount speakers of your choice.

In Europe you guys are lucky to have so many great affordable HiFi brands available.

Good Luck!
    Bill

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I agree with Bill. Are you primarily concerned with 2 channel or home theater? What about multi channel music (SACD or DVD-A)?

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Bubu- (great user name, by the way) welcome to the Guide! :banana: Yes, of course, it's never a bad idea to be responsible and save the money for later. Then again, if you're like most of us on the board, I think you can use the money you've earmarked to SUBSTANTIALLY increase your current audio/video experience and get lots and lots of enjoyment out of it!
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• drosophila
          • Dec 2004

Personally, i'd go for something like a Creek 5350SE integrated. Tons of detail and transparency, so your sources come through as intended. Mix-and-match your speakers, interconnects, and sources to develop sound more towards your preferences (i.e. warm, liquid, whatever term) without the amp adding excess coloration.

CD-wise, i'll let you know once I decide, since i'm still debating whether or not analog interconnects are a must. If not, I can give uber-recommendation to the Cambridge Azur 640C. Dunno what it runs over there, but I can grab one for $499 here. Pairs nicely with Creek, Naim, and Epos, from what I hear.

Comment

• Anton
            • Oct 2004

I started out with an all NAD cd and amp combo (C370 and CD521 i think) and it was magic. Good value, good power and good sound, three key elements to a system that you will be happy with for many years. With your budget partnering NAD gear with some B&W or EPOS speakers, you would have a great system. Don't skimp on cable, thats what I forgot with my first hi-fi. Nice neutral cable like Kimber (IMO) would be great even if you upgrade your gear to the next level later. Good luck making your ears happy :T
            Canadian heart, Aussie home!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"