X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmanlp
    • Dec 2005

Beginner Project

Hello all, I have been reading the DIY area for awhile now and I am very impressed with all your projects, they are outstanding. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a very easy and inexpensive beginner project that would give me the confidence to try harder ones. I have the necessary tools to do the woodworking and whatnot. I just need a pretty basic step by step with a very simple crossover design so I can get my feet wet.

I was thinking a really basic 2-way, medium sized bookshelf. If anyone has a link or anything to where I could find a project like that I would really appreciate it. I'm not looking for anything magical, but it would be nice if it sounded pretty good to get my confidence up and so my wife doesn't think im wasting my money Thanks, and keep up the good work.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

What kind of budget?
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• jmanlp
      • Dec 2005

I would like to stay under $150/pr for crossover and driver components. Can that build a good speaker?

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

can do a pretty good speaker for that, yes. None of the common projects arund here I think.

We'll find something though.

What kind(s) of music will you be listening to? And how loud? Background, or dedicated listening? or HT use?

C

Comment

• jmanlp
          • Dec 2005

No, my HT is all set with Klipsch S-3 series, I've always like the sound of Klipsch speakers (the Reference series even more, but I had to settle for the Synergy series). Lately I've really been into DIY, not for the money saving aspect, but more for the fun and satisfaction. These speakers would be for music listening in a 2ch. setup so I would like them to have good bass response. I listen to pretty much everything from country to techno, but more alt. and classic rock than anything else.

I guess I should add my budget is somewhat flexible, but the most important thing to me is being able to complete the project with good results. I really need good instructions and hopefully some type of help would be available to ask questions. Thanks again.

Comment

• Mudjock
            • Sep 2005

My RS150/Seas H1212 project comes in right around $150/pr for drivers and crossover if you don't mind using the 2.25 mH laminate core inductor on the Madisound sale page.
            Attached Files
            Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out...

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...solutions/home

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Yeah, but your Seas/RS150 project isn't as GOOD as mine is... :P (for anyone not knowing, that's tongue in cheek... they sound very VERY similar, very subtle differences) Mine runs another $100 or so though, but then it IS an MTM. Nice tower option as well.

Comment

• jmanlp
                • Dec 2005

I'll build whatever you guys tell me to, i just need very thourough instructions... Think of me as a newbie pawn...

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by jmanlp
                  I'll build whatever you guys tell me to, i just need very thourough instructions... Think of me as a newbie pawn...
                  no no no, you want to take that statement back FAST! :P

Seriously, what kind of music?

Comment

• jmanlp
                    • Dec 2005

alternative and classic rock are the main things I listen to. But i seriously listen to everything out there and if you saw my CD collection you would understand, when I say everything, I mean everything.

Comment

• tamosius
                      • Jan 2006

I'm thinking building speakers with the same requirements - cheap, and underfined music type.

Idea is - I bought Sony's CMTNEZ5 Hi-Fi Micro System, and I use it as a clock radio... like a buzzer... but instead of ugly buzzzzzzz... buzzzzz, I get some music to wake me up... But... I'm not sure whether I like the way speakers sounds. After few days of playing, they started playing a bit more relaxed but it still sounds somehow cheap... bass is too weak, mid and highs sounds muddy... You can not expect much when you pay 100can$ for whole thing, right?

Another reason - I'd like to get my hands dirty before I do more serious project (Eton 11.2, but that is off topic here).
                      So, I thought - why not to build small/dirty cheap bookshelf speakers, that would sound a bit better than Sony's ones?

Music I listen - one day it can be Rock radio station, another - radio station, that plays mostly 80-90's type of music (not a disco, though), then it could be some CD/mp3 with whatever on it... my wife likes punks... that should wake me up quite quickly, I quess... ;b>
                      so we keep switching between styles.. of course, it's not Jazz... Jazz in mornings...? :roll: Nah.. not for us.. We'd oversleep work

So, guys/gals - keep suggestions flowing, I believe there are quite few newbies in here who could benefit from your experience...

Thanks in advance,
                      Tomas

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"