X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andy-9
    • Feb 2017

Using an Old DAC with a modern PC

hello, my first post. Please can anyone help?
    I would like to take a co-ax S/PDIF out of my PC and feed it into my old Flying Cow D/A A/D? converter. This goes up to 48KHz only and is a two channel device. Whereas the PC is outputting a 4.1 format I think - at least the section in the BIOS manual is headed up "Digital audio connector (4-1 pin SPDIF_OUT)" There is optical S/PDIF at the rear but the F.Cow doesn't have that. So I will have to wire into a couple of pins on the Mobo. I'm very happy with the sound from my F.Cow and if I can make this work it will save me some money.

The Mobo is an ASUS Z170 PRO. In the BIOS I can't set any particular format of S/PDIF output.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks, Andy
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by andy-9
    hello, my first post. Please can anyone help?
    I would like to take a co-ax S/PDIF out of my PC and feed it into my old Flying Cow D/A A/D? converter. This goes up to 48KHz only and is a two channel device. Whereas the PC is outputting a 4.1 format I think - at least the section in the BIOS manual is headed up "Digital audio connector (4-1 pin SPDIF_OUT)" There is optical S/PDIF at the rear but the F.Cow doesn't have that. So I will have to wire into a couple of pins on the Mobo. I'm very happy with the sound from my F.Cow and if I can make this work it will save me some money.

The Mobo is an ASUS Z170 PRO. In the BIOS I can't set any particular format of S/PDIF output.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks, Andy
    I suspect that what you are reading as "Digital audio connector (4-1 pin SPDIF_OUT)" means that S/PDIF output is on Pin 4-1 of a particular header. AFAIK, you cannot get more than stereo on S/PDIF (unless it is compressed and/or encoded). If you are running Win, go to the the sound output settings and confirm. Or just try it.
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• andy-9
      • Feb 2017

Thanks for the info Kal. I will try it, it looks like it's got a fair chance of working from what you say.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"