X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohanK
    • Aug 2000

Trouble finding a Slot1 PIII mobo

Anyone know vendors that sell a slot 1 mobo? In particular, I'm interested in the ASUS P3V4X. Thanx.

• Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Johan, go here. It is a close out sale.

Exactly what your looking for

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• JohanK
      • Aug 2000

Bing, many thanx for the link. It seems the board has been sold out as the 'Add to Cart' link is not available. I have emailed to make sure.

In the meantime, I have found the Tyan Trinity 400 mobo which would fulfill my needs since it does contain a slot 1 socket (in addition to a socket 370 slot).

If you're wondering why I'm looking, I need a slot 1 b/c I purchased a used slot 1 P3 667 processor w/ heatsink (along with memory) for dirt cheap from a buddy. The Tyan mobo will get me an P3 667 setup for under $100...I figure that will more than enough for surfing and such.

Again, thanx for taking the time to check and post. I appreciate it.

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

No problems Johan, when I first found that link they had some in stock.

Glad you have found another alternative.

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• JohanK
          • Aug 2000

Bing, I have the chance to swap my 667 slot 1 P3 for 800 socket 370 Celeron (brand new except installed for testing). Would you do it? (Either one will work in the Tyan mobo.)

I'm not too familiar with the Celeron chips. What are the major differences b/t the P3 and Celeron chips? Reduced cache for the Celeron comes to mind but nothing else.

I wasn't into computers when the PII/PIII chips were 'it'. I'm trying to pin down the chronology of the Intel chips. Lemme know if this is right:

-Pentiums up to 200? THEN
          -Pentium II up to 450 (slot 1) THEN
          -Celerons get thrown in (slot 1) THEN
          -Pentium III (slot 1) THEN
          -Pentium III/Celeron (socket 370) Then
          -Pentium 4 (socket 423) THEN
          -Pentium 4 (socket 478)

Thanx for any info you can give.

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

Humm... good question Johan.

The main differences between the Celeron and PIII were the front side bus speed, the Celeron operates at 66 Mhz, where as the PIII runs at 100 Mhz. However the 800 Mhz Celeron, brought with it a 100 Mhz FSB. The 800 has the cache on die and a .18 micron process versus the PIII slot 1 with it's cache on separate chips and .25 micron process. The 800 Mhz Celeron, does have a smaller L2 cache of 128mb vs the PIII's 512mb, however it's on die, meaning it runs at full CPU clock speed vs the 1/2 cpu speed the PIII must run it's L2 cache at. The smaller cache may run apps such as Adobe PS a bit slower, however for business applications & general gaming, you may not suffer a big hit. The 800 Mhz celeron is basically a FC-PGA Coppermine P111 with a smaller cache (128 mb vs 256 mb), so you are correct!

The 800 mhz Celeron also overclocks very well, if my memory serves me correctly, so hitting 1Ghz with is is very possiable.

I think I would trade.

Your chronology looks to be correct

Bing
            Bing

Comment

• JohanK
              • Aug 2000

Thanx for the info Bing.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I agree with Bings assesment of the celron's...Im using a 667 celeron that I can run any where from 667 upto a hair under 1 gig depending on what I wnat it to do I think right now its running at 950 and will run unreal for hours. If I had the chance to trade the slot one for a 370 chip I would just to get a more modern motherboard...which should allow for futher upgrading later.

Comment

• JohanK
                  • Aug 2000

Bing and Andrew, I put the computer together tonight. It is working very well under 98SE. Here is the component list:

Enlight tower case
                  Tyan Trinity 400 mobo
                  Slot 1 PIII @ 733/133 (sold my 667 PIII and bought 733 PIII with no loss...woohooo!)
                  Samsung 8X DVD-ROM drive
                  IBM ATA100 20G HD (mobo only supports ATA66)
                  Nvidia TNT2 AGP4X vid card (already had)
                  SoundBlaster AWE64 audio card (already had)
                  128MB of PC133 RAM (already had)
                  Teac 3.5" floppy (already had)

Total Cost = ~ $300

Bing, I did some research on the PIII vs. Celeron thing. Apparently, Intel produced Slot1 PIII chips of the Coppermine variety (i.e. .18 micron process and 256 on chip/full speed cache; see http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q2/000511/ for some info). My chip is of this type and, hence, I did not go with the Celeron. Thanx for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"