X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Taking a modest plunge into the world of outboard DACs

I'm reorganizing my home office and cobbling together a sound system biased to headphone listening with three digital sources: DVD-A/SACD/region-free DVD-V player, Blu-ray player, Macbook Pro with iTunes 24/96 ALAC files (converted from FLAC files). I might add a software player that is 24/192/DSD capable later on if I feel the need).

I will run things through a Schiit Audio pairing of the Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber. Will let y'all know my impressions once the gear arrives and I set it up (ordered today).
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hope it's some good schiit!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I'm to told the sound will be pretty schiitty. I certainly hope so.

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

jeez, more Schiit double entendres. Take a look at ifi, then we can make some "it sounds iffy" ones. The dsd nano is also - as the name suggests - DSD capable.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

I've already ordered the Schiit pair. The others look interesting but I look at their dealer network and none is anywhere nearby. I'm not entirely sold there'll be a huge difference in sound quality owing just to the DAC (I will do my best to do a level matched comparison) but I do need amplification for my headphones (for the disc players at any rate) and the DAC offers 3 inputs which makes it a very handy digital switch box at a decent price, at the very least.

Turns out I won't have space for the powered speakers I intended to use, so I could have gone with the plain amp without the preamp output and saved a bit of money but I'm sure I'll put the feature to good use in the future.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Originally posted by mjb
            jeez, more Schiit double entendres.
            I'll just warn you right now. Any talk about Schiit or NADs, and my inner 10-year old boy comes out. Game on.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• mjb
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

lol, NADs, I'd never even thought of that!
              - Mike

Main System:
              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Finleyville
                • Sep 2006

I have a first edition Modi that I like. It is hard to beat that little Schiit!
                BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

My Schiit was delayed by the storm that hit Memphis last week and crapped all over the FEDEX delivery schedule. Had it sent to my office to avoid international shipping charges (I live in Canada but work in Vermont), but I'm Schiit out of luck until I go back Thursday. Pretty schiitty all around. On the bright side, I'll have all my Schiit together by Friday.

Some re-thinking on the layout of my office space will, in the end, allow me to make use of the pre-amp output to my powered speakers after all. Looking forward to my upcoming schiitty sound system. :T

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

Sounds like the Schiit really hit the fan as far as you getting your delivery. Hopefully you got your unit and you are enjoying it!!!!
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

I'm listening to it right now (listening to Joe Cool's Blues--a mixture of Wynton Marsalis' Septet and Ellis Marsalis' Trio playing music from and/or inspired by Vince Guaraldi's compositions for various Peanuts specials). I imported the CD into iTunes in lossless ALAC. Since I installed the pair (DAC and amp) Thursday night, I'd say I've had about 90 mins. of total listening so far (tried CD, DVD-A, Blu-ray Audio and now lossless iTunes through each type of digital input--toslink, coax, USB--from various sources). Earliest impressions: excellent digital source switch box, considerably quieter (less background noise) for the headphones, PLENTY of power. Better SQ (aside from the background noise issue from the computer)? Too soon to tell--haven't made any serious comparisons. But I have no regrets.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"