• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Pacific Rim on Blu Ray.

hello all,
    I picked this up Yesterday and watched it last night. Well I gotta admit I love it.
    This movie really took me back to a time when life was simple and fun. It reminded me of Ultraman, Johnny Socko's Robot and Space Giant. For the Younger Crowd Power Rangers come to mind.
    It's basically a Monster vs Giant Robot kind of movie.

Video - it's in 16x9 which is very nice and clean.
    Audio - Reference Quality LFE and clarity. I really enjoyed the sound quality of this movie. Very fun and very Demo ready. Many good battles to choose from.

I sat back and put my feet up and went on the ride. I find no fault with this movie.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

cool... I'll give this one a rent.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dmantis
      It reminded me of Ultraman, Johnny Socko's Robot and Space Giant.
      Wow, aren't many of us around that can recall enjoying all three of these shows! 8) Man I enjoyed the Wee Willie Webber show. What a great block of children entertainment. 8th Man, Marine Boy, Speed Racer and the afore mentioned; great times!

OT, I still have yet to see it. I'll add it to my purchase list.
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by John Holmes
        Wow, aren't many of us around that can recall enjoying all three of these shows! 8) Man I enjoyed the Wee Willie Webber show. What a great block of children entertainment. 8th Man, Marine Boy, Speed Racer and the afore mentioned; great times!

OT, I still have yet to see it. I'll add it to my purchase list.
        Your a 70's child like me. I own Ultraman on DVD which is awesome. I'd like to pick up Marine Boy, Johnny Socko's Robot and Space Giants. I watched them everyday when I was a kid.
        I didn't watch Willie Webber, I watched Dennis the Menace,Howdy Doody, Little Rascals, Captain Kangaroo and Mister Rogers. Even the Electric Factory was awesome.
        So many good shows when we where growing up. Love those times.

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Your a 70's child like me. I own Ultraman on DVD which is awesome. I'd like to pick up Marine Boy, Johnny Socko's Robot and Space Giants. I watched them everyday when I was a kid.
          I didn't watch Willie Webber, I watched Dennis the Menace,Howdy Doody, Little Rascals, Captain Kangaroo and Mister Rogers. Even the Electric Factory was awesome.
          So many good shows when we where growing up. Love those times.
          Agreed! It was a great time to be a kid! I own Series one Vol. one of Ultraman. I need to get Vol. two. I also own Captain Scarlett. Like you, I need to pick more from that era, including Price Planet.

Willie Webber was actual a television personality. He hosted a show on Channel 17 in Philadelphia, which ran about four hours. It played Marine Boy, Johnny Socko's flying Robot, The Space Giants, Captain Scarlet, 8th Man, Prince Planet, Ultraman and Kimba the white Lion. That was in the first two hours. Then it would switch to more adult content. The shows I recall from the later block of time: Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Man from U.N.C.L.E. and Dark Shadows.

I too watched all of the shows you listed, though I think you meant Electric Company.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

Agreed! It was a great time to be a kid! I own Series one Vol. one of Ultraman. I need to get Vol. two. I also own Captain Scarlett. Like you, I need to pick more from that era, including Price Planet.

Willie Webber was actual a television personality. He hosted a show on Channel 17 in Philadelphia, which ran about four hours. It played Marine Boy, Johnny Socko's flying Robot, The Space Giants, Captain Scarlet, 8th Man, Prince Planet, Ultraman and Kimba the white Lion. That was in the first two hours. Then it would switch to more adult content. The shows I recall from the later block of time: Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Man from U.N.C.L.E. and Dark Shadows.

I too watched all of the shows you listed, though I think you meant Electric Company.
            You are correct sir, Electric Company.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Just watched this one on PPV. Loved it! I always evaluate a film based on what it tries to be. 2001: A Space Oddysey, it is not. Citizen Kane, it is not. It is part Starship Troopers, part Independence Day, a LARGE part Godzilla, part Real Steel, part Matrix. It's a fun, action, Mech vs. Monster film reminiscent of classic Godzilla and more. I kind of checked my brain at the door, poured a Captain and Coke, (my favorite) and enjoyed the 2 hour ride. I may pick it up on BD when prices come down.

For a lot of similar reasons why I liked Independence Day, I liked/loved this film too. An enjoyable semi-silly indulgence. Solid :4: out of :5: and I'm tempted to give more.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Dmantis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                Just watched this one on PPV. Loved it! I always evaluate a film based on what it tries to be. 2001: A Space Oddysey, it is not. Citizen Kane, it is not. It is part Starship Troopers, part Independence Day, a LARGE part Godzilla, part Real Steel, part Matrix. It's a fun, action, Mech vs. Monster film reminiscent of classic Godzilla and more. I kind of checked my brain at the door, poured a Captain and Coke, (my favorite) and enjoyed the 2 hour ride. I may pick it up on BD when prices come down.

For a lot of similar reasons why I liked Independence Day, I liked/loved this film too. An enjoyable semi-silly indulgence. Solid :4: out of :5: and I'm tempted to give more.
                It's worth it to get it on BD just for the Audio alone. Not to mention it's in 16x9 which I always like. I really do wish movies where shot in 16x9

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Wow, aren't many of us around that can recall enjoying all three of these shows!
                  I find it quite hard to believe that no one yet has mentioned one of my childhood favorites, "Jonny Quest"!?!?!?
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

I was thinking a bit more... I'd term my enjoyment of this movie somewhat of a "guilty pleasure", just like Independence Day. Cheesy movie, some "stupid" factors here and there, but the movie magic of a fun film gets me again.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Dmantis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by wkhanna
                      I find it quite hard to believe that no one yet has mentioned one of my childhood favorites, "Jonny Quest"!?!?!?
                      I'm not sure if I watched that or not but damn it sounds familiar.

Comment

• wkhanna
                        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Oh, you gotta remember this!

_

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

It's worth it to get it on BD just for the Audio alone. Not to mention it's in 16x9 which I always like. I really do wish movies where shot in 16x9
                          As more people get 16x9 TVs, the chances of this happening go down, not up. The Academy ratio of 1.37/1.33:1 (4x3) was abandoned in the 50s because TV screens had that ratio and cinema houses wanted to offer something different. Very widescreen films were made for what we'd call today "tentpole productions" (think Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, etc.) and the rest were in the 16x9ish range. Very widescreen was very expensive and fell out of favour a bit by the 70s (though not entirely--2.35-2.40:1 movies were still being made) and into the 80s. Another reason was that 1.85:1 (16x9 is actually 1.78:1--very close) was easier to "protect" for pan and scan video transfers in the 80s and 90s. By the late 90s, though, with movement towards 16x9 TVs and cost reductions in filming in wider than 1.85:1 (as well as a desire to change film aesthetics and shot compositions), more films began to be shot wider than 1.85:1. This only accelerated as more 16x9 TVs were available at home--the 50s all over again. However, though I'm not fully up on the technicalities, it seems that shooting in 3D (as opposed to post conversion) works better with 1.85:1--or at least is more pleasing to those filmmakers who shoot in 3D (I have no idea if Pacific Rim was shot in 3D or converted--individuality is still at work in cinema, especially for del Tomo).

Of course, when everything is a holodeck interactive environment, people will look on the different aspect ratio debates as rather quaint. :lol:

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

I watched Johnny Quest Bill, for sure! I used to love that show. It was so the kind of cartoons a boy wanted to see. It was in the 60s, right? Tell me I wasn't 14 when I watched it, ha. Maybe I was, it would still have been good. :-)
                            Doug
                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Dmantis
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Ovation
                              As more people get 16x9 TVs, the chances of this happening go down, not up. The Academy ratio of 1.37/1.33:1 (4x3) was abandoned in the 50s because TV screens had that ratio and cinema houses wanted to offer something different. Very widescreen films were made for what we'd call today "tentpole productions" (think Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, etc.) and the rest were in the 16x9ish range. Very widescreen was very expensive and fell out of favour a bit by the 70s (though not entirely--2.35-2.40:1 movies were still being made) and into the 80s. Another reason was that 1.85:1 (16x9 is actually 1.78:1--very close) was easier to "protect" for pan and scan video transfers in the 80s and 90s. By the late 90s, though, with movement towards 16x9 TVs and cost reductions in filming in wider than 1.85:1 (as well as a desire to change film aesthetics and shot compositions), more films began to be shot wider than 1.85:1. This only accelerated as more 16x9 TVs were available at home--the 50s all over again. However, though I'm not fully up on the technicalities, it seems that shooting in 3D (as opposed to post conversion) works better with 1.85:1--or at least is more pleasing to those filmmakers who shoot in 3D (I have no idea if Pacific Rim was shot in 3D or converted--individuality is still at work in cinema, especially for del Tomo).

Of course, when everything is a holodeck interactive environment, people will look on the different aspect ratio debates as rather quaint. :lol:
                              Very nice post, thanks for the info.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Very nice post, thanks for the info.
                                I also appreciate the info. :T

Comment

• John Holmes
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

wkhanna,

Actually, I just failed to mention it. It was a favorite of mine also. Thanks for bringing it up.

Comment

• impala454
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2007

Ok I promise I'm not going to post the honest trailer for every movie, but was almost crying laughing at this one (warning: spoilers)

[youtube]fupWquPNoTc[/youtube]
                                    -Chuck

Comment

• Dmantis
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jun 2004

I think you need to be that guy , LOL

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

That's awesome. I'm going to have to watch more of these honest trailers. (after I see the movies, of course)
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

Watched this today. Pretty much what I expected--a Godzilla or Gamara movie with modern effects. Will likely add to the collection at some point. Totally agree with "check your brain at the door" comments, but, for this film, that's a good comment, not bad.

Comment

• Ovation
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by impala454
                                            Ok I promise I'm not going to post the honest trailer for every movie, but was almost crying laughing at this one (warning: spoilers)

[youtube]fupWquPNoTc[/youtube]
                                            Best one of these I've seen yet. :T:T:T:T:T

Comment

Working...
                                            😀
                                            😂
                                            🥰
                                            😘
                                            🤢
                                            😎
                                            😞
                                            😡
                                            👍
                                            👎
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"