• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Analog out cable for PS3

Hey all,

Have you ever ordered something on line and get something somewhat different than ordered when delivered?. I want to use my headphones via my headphone amp to listen to BD and DVD movies and since my Rotel does not pass digital signals to it's analog out's, I was forced to buy a cable to connect to the PS3 to pass an analog signal to the amp.

Anyway, what I ordered was supposed to be a 4ft component and 2ch analog out from the back of the PS3. What I got however was a 6ft analog out cable and the video portion of it is composite and S-Video out??. Odd eh???. Not that I'm complaining because the audio out portion of the cable is much better quality than what I ordered (and it's 6ft which easily reaches my amp) and I use HDMI for the video signal anyway.

It's funny though how they decide to indiscriminately send you something quite different than what you ordered. I ordered it from Amazon. :roll:

The good news is that the cable works, which was my biggest fear since some on line reviews stated that the cable did not work for them. My guess is that they did not properly adjust the audio out settings on the PS3 to send a PCM 2 ch analog out via that connector.

A great evolution for the PS3 or new PS4 would be to create a 5ch loss-less analog cable that could send a HD audio signal to an amp. That would be cool!!.
    Dan Madden :T
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

It would be cool but it is about as likely as a Stanley Cup parade in Somalia. The trend is moving away from analogue connections in all but dedicated audio gear. As for getting a particular cable, was it a third party seller via Amazon, or Amazon itself? I've found things a bit more hit or miss when ordering from a third party via Amazon (once got a redbook CD packaged inside an SACD case--to be fair, Amazon itself resolved the issue right away with no fuss and I got what I wanted).

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
      It would be cool but it is about as likely as a Stanley Cup parade in Somalia. The trend is moving away from analogue connections in all but dedicated audio gear. As for getting a particular cable, was it a third party seller via Amazon, or Amazon itself? I've found things a bit more hit or miss when ordering from a third party via Amazon (once got a redbook CD packaged inside an SACD case--to be fair, Amazon itself resolved the issue right away with no fuss and I got what I wanted).
      Ovation, you are probably right in your analogy about the possibility of the PS3 having Hi Def analog outs!!. Hehehe!!. And yes, it was through a 3rd party via Amazon. Not that I'm complaining. I got a better, 6ft cable that reaches my amp without having to use a RCA coupler. Too bad I bought a coupler at the same time!!.

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Glad it worked out in the end. At least you didn't have to go through the hassle of retuning or exchanging it.
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by John Holmes
          Glad it worked out in the end. At least you didn't have to go through the hassle of retuning or exchanging it.
          Amen!!......sounds great in my headphones too!!. Watched Adele at Royal Albert Hall and it sounded like l was there!.

Comment

• BWLover
            • Jan 2009

What brand are these ps3 cables?
            Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
            Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
            Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
            Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
            Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
            Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
            Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
            Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
            Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
            Playstation 3
            Shaw HD PVR
            Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by BWLover
              What brand are these ps3 cables?
              I threw the box away and there's nothing written on the cable itself. However, I bought it from Amazon and they only stock one or two of these cables.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Another footnote about the PS3........Blacks are more dirty than I got with the Oppo. Colors however seem to be a tad bit better. However, audio performance via the optical digital cable via the PS3 appears to be noticeably better. I know, it makes no sense since my Rotel is doing the decoding but I swear.......IT'S BETTER !!.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"