X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I miss no Seinfeld on Blu Ray!

I wish we would get Seinfeld on Blu Ray. I have 141 episodes recorded on my 1 terrabyte DVR drive. lol.

it's HD like quality, I do not know what their transfer deal is on this, it looks like at least 1080i anyway.

It's hard to go back to 480p, I watched season 1 of Frasier over the last week, a lot this weekend, and I have to say, it was difficult to watch that level of quality now. I am spoiled. I may do better on another of my DVD players than my new Pioneer Elite for up conversions. I'll have to see about that.

But I would really like this show on Blu Ray.

Vote here:
    I need my Seinfeld on Blu Ray either as a first time buyer or a re-buy!!
    50.00%
    I already own the dvd series, that is sufficient
    25.00%
    I didn't really care about it before, or now that it's older, I don't care about it..
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • David G
    • Jan 2005

I agree. Question is, what resolution was it shot in, especially the early episodes?

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I've gone back and bought and/or watched several older shows in the last 3 years -- Greatest American Hero, Quantum Leap, Frasier. Doesn't terribly bother me that they're lower resolution on DVD, as I keep in mind that they're older shows. But I also just went through the entire newer Battlestar Galactica series. Did that on BD, and since it was shot in high-def, it definitely would have been a disappointment to have watched that on DVD. I would say it depends on the show.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

I rarely ever watched Seinfeld when it was current and I never watch/buy any old TV shows.
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

LOVED the show but I'd question what quality it was originally recorded in and if 1080p BD quality would even really "matter"? It's also in syndication about 14 times a day on a variety of channels...so any time I want to see an episode...

Doubt I'd buy. But the closest option was already own DVD so I voted that.
          Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Well....Star Trek TNG was recorded in SD and it looks rather awesome on Blu-ray.

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by aud19
              LOVED the show but I'd question what quality it was originally recorded in and if 1080p BD quality would even really "matter"? It's also in syndication about 14 times a day on a variety of channels...so any time I want to see an episode...

Doubt I'd buy. But the closest option was already own DVD so I voted that.
              One potential and practical use of BD for non hi-def shows (and anything shot on video in the 70s, 80s and most of the 90s would qualify) is the ability to pack a lot more episodes of SD material per disc. Season sets would not need nearly as many boxes, discs, etc. So far, I've not seen anyone take advantage of this ability.

Originally posted by Hdale85
              Well....Star Trek TNG was recorded in SD and it looks rather awesome on Blu-ray.
              Actually, TNG was shot on film and transferred to video for integrating the effects. It's why they've been able to go back and make it hi-def--combination of original filmed materials and new effects rendered in HD. For an 80s sitcom like The Cosby Show, which I believe was shot directly on tape, it would be impossible to make a proper hi-def version (I suspect Seinfeld is the same). Old shows like Star Trek TOS, Bonanza, Twilight Zone and a gazillion others were shot with film, so HD versions are relatively easy to make. But the early 70s to the mid-90s represents a hole of SD material that was not originally captured at any resolution above SD, so DVD is more than sufficient for those shows (or SD on BD discs to save disc usage and shelf space). A bit of clean up is possible, but nothing like what can be done to earlier, filmed material.

As for the poll, I voted DVD is sufficient (though I don't own it, it's as close to the option I would choose among the available responses).

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Ovation
                One potential and practical use of BD for non hi-def shows (and anything shot on video in the 70s, 80s and most of the 90s would qualify) is the ability to pack a lot more episodes of SD material per disc. Season sets would not need nearly as many boxes, discs, etc. So far, I've not seen anyone take advantage of this ability..
                But then they couldn't charge you more money for more discs :W
                Jason

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"