• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Oppo Failures?

Hey all,

After having a series of Failures with my Oppo DVD player I was wondering if anyone here on the forum have experienced failures with their units. I'm a little paranoid now about their reliability on the whole. Love the picture quality from their players but do NOT like their longevity issues.

Let me know?
    Dan Madden :T
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by madmac
    Hey all,

After having a series of Failures with my Oppo DVD player I was wondering if anyone here on the forum have experienced failures with their units. I'm a little paranoid now about their reliability on the whole. Love the picture quality from their players but do NOT like their longevity issues.

Let me know?
    I have had 5 over the years and none have failed. My old 983 is now being enjoyed by my daughter.
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

It seems even the best gear today and of a few years ago fail. This is something that is becoming common. Sorry your having issues , did you call Oppo ?

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

My old 970HD is still doing duty.
        We do not use it a lot, but it always did & still does exactly what is expected of it.
        BTW, still no HDMI or BD in our house.
        Believe it or not, we do own flat-screens.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

No problem with my Oppo... though I have to say it basically just does sit and collect dust now... I should probably unplug it since it's just sucking down the power in standby mode for the last well probably about a year now... lol
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Honestly I haven't heard too many issues with Oppos really. Either they are on top of their issues, or there just aren't that many because that's what you hear most on the internet is issues with products.

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Dmantis
              It seems even the best gear today and of a few years ago fail. This is something that is becoming common. Sorry your having issues , did you call Oppo ?
              I emailed them and they want $45 bucks to fix it. It costs about the same amount to ship it to California. That's almost $100 bucks. It's just not worth it at this point now, so I put it in the garbage and am using my PS3 now for both BD and DVD.

Comment

• wkhanna
                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

$45 seems quite reasonable to me.
                The hourly labor rate for comparison's sake of an electronics repair shop can easily be twice that these days.

A shame about the shipping rate from Canada.
                Last edited by wkhanna; 18 February 2013, 11:22 Monday.
                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Dmantis
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jun 2004

What model Oppo is it? Can you replace it for $100.00? I see you own a Ps3 which is a good alternative , Hopefully it's not in your room or close to you as I sold mine due to how noisy it is.

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

What model Oppo is it? Can you replace it for $100.00? I see you own a Ps3 which is a good alternative , Hopefully it's not in your room or close to you as I sold mine due to how noisy it is.
                    My fear in getting it fixed is that it will fail yet again. It failed 2 years after they fixed it the first time!!. It was obviously a lemon as far as I'm concerned. I have no issues with the fan on my PS3. I don't find it that loud at all. I have the older 60 gig, black piano finish model. Quite the piece of gear I must say.

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

I solved that problem with a long HDMI cable and a bluetooth remote. Mine is in the next room and does not bother me (though it was a pain until the long cable arrived in the mail).

Originally posted by madmac
                      My fear in getting it fixed is that it will fail yet again. It failed 2 years after they fixed it the first time!!. It was obviously a lemon as far as I'm concerned. I have no issues with the fan on my PS3. I don't find it that loud at all. I have the older 60 gig, black piano finish model. Quite the piece of gear I must say.
                      I know it won't assuage the disappointment, but statistically speaking, that kind of problem is bound to happen to someone. I have a Sony PJ that I am quite happy with--except the first bulb went out about halfway to the average rated time. I'm hoping the replacement won't do the same (I'm just about at the same number of hours with it as the first). Others who have the same PJ as I do have reported on various fora that they've exceeded the average time with their bulb by 1000+ hours. Luck of the draw.

In the end, when equipment becomes commoditized, two things tend to happen. The aggregate satisfaction goes up because there are so many units out there while the statistical chances of a failing unit increase, because there are so many units out there. Bulb for me, player for you. C'est la vie.

Comment

• madmac
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
                        I solved that problem with a long HDMI cable and a bluetooth remote. Mine is in the next room and does not bother me (though it was a pain until the long cable arrived in the mail).

I know it won't assuage the disappointment, but statistically speaking, that kind of problem is bound to happen to someone. I have a Sony PJ that I am quite happy with--except the first bulb went out about halfway to the average rated time. I'm hoping the replacement won't do the same (I'm just about at the same number of hours with it as the first). Others who have the same PJ as I do have reported on various fora that they've exceeded the average time with their bulb by 1000+ hours. Luck of the draw.

In the end, when equipment becomes commoditized, two things tend to happen. The aggregate satisfaction goes up because there are so many units out there while the statistical chances of a failing unit increase, because there are so many units out there. Bulb for me, player for you. C'est la vie.
                        Well said!. I have an ancient Sony DVD Player/ Recorder that still works just fine.....and that unit is WAY older than the Oppo. Luck of the draw I guess.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"