X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BladeRnR
    • Sep 2003

Sithlord & BladeRnR upgrading (Again)!

I just know Aussie Geoff is going to read this and say...not again! Yep again So what do the terrible brothers from Melbourne, Australia have planned now for their HT you might well ask?

We get a paper here called 'The Age' and each Thursday it contains a special sub-paper called the 'Green Guide'. It's the perfect paper for Computer Heads (BladeRnR) and Audiophiles (Sithlord). Well I was scanning the Hi-Fi ads (As I do) and came across one of the bigger stores here in Melbourne touting a 'reference' system in the form of an Arcam AV8 and Arcam DV27A. BladeRnR scatches his head - hmmm - must tell Sithlord about that because I'd never heard of them (The models not the brand).

A quick check on the Net reveals that these are indeed very High-End components. Go here for owners manuals and other errata Arcam Gear and for one of the best reviews on Hi-Fi equipment I've ever read go here Widescreen Arcam AV8/DV27A Review and download the PDF (A full 27 page ultra-detailed review). Now after reading this review I was stunned. Not only was this a gushing review but it was Widescreen that were the ones gushing and Widescreen are not given to rampant praise for ANYTHING.

Given Sithlords Rotel 1098 is in the shop getting a relay fixed (The LCD screen refuses to come on when volume is pressed and works maybe 1/25 times you try it) he's just about had enough. The Rotel has been in the shop twice now - once was with a corrupted EPROM and the second the relay. Not good enough really.

The Arcam DV27A has only just been replaced with the DV29 and adds HDMI to the already impressive list of attributes this player carries. Site unseen (Or heard for that matter) the Arcam AV8 certainly sounds like an amazing piece of kit. So Sithlord has made the decision - Arcam AV8 and the Arcam DV29 - each retail for $9000AU and $5398AU respectively but we've wrangled and all up changeover price of $4200AU (Full refund on the Rotel 1098 and 15% less back on the almost new Marantz D12).

Read the Widescreen review in it's entirety - you'll be impressed :T Along with the new King CAT Cables and Aussie Geoffs generous trial Silver Coax cable it looks like we'll be playing with some new toys very shortly. These new components should be a great match for the Krell Theatre Standard. We'll let you all know how we get on with the new toys and give our impressions ASAP.

Cheers :B
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

You Guys..... Upgraditis * 2

Sithlord and Bladerunner,

I'm shaking my head as I write this...
    • At your dual case of upgraditis (amongst the worst I've seen)
    • At she rate you change systems
    • At buying something so expensive unheard
    • and (seeing the quote below) with a mix of disbelief and jealousy!

But these two Arcam units are more than excellent. They have literally transformed our horizons of what home entertainment can be as an experience, and how it can move and affect you. They have literally opened a new dimension of space. And that new dimension, now opened, can never be closed again for us. Personally, I have only one regret. I wish I had the time to bring a set of these two Arcam units into each of your listening rooms, and personally do all the fine tuning adjustments needed to get spatial portrayal just right in your room ā€“ and thereby share with you the gift of my transforming experience with these units.

Once you have experienced space as I have with these Arcam units, you will never want to go back again, to a lesser experience with fewer dimensions.
    PS - At 27 pages it is (by a long way) the longest, most gushing review I have ever read of anything!

PPS - If they are even half as good you will be in heaven!

PPPS - I supose the dealer has offered to lend you the matching P7 Power Amplifier for comparison to your Krells?

PPPPS - And there is that nice FMJ CD33 CD Player to match (a really good CD player is just awesome!)

PPPPPS ā€“ I think it is jealousy Iā€™m feeling

Enjoy!

Geoff

Comment

• Sithlord
      • Aug 2004

Upgrading

I think it's been awhile since you have upgraded Geoff so you may want to try these units for yourself. Regarding the P7 amp, no I love the Krell so it's staying. The place where I bought the Marantz sells the Arcam units. They use those for their reference system and they love it but they haven't intergrated the DV29 (their using the DV27) yet as they haven't got theirs so I might beat them to it 8) . Regarding the refund the store got back to me saying the importer wants to give me a new 1098 but I expressed that I am over the 1098 and it's realiabilty (in my case) and that a refund is the only option. I wont get an answer until next week on this so the Arcam units will have to sit in the warehouse a little bit longer.

Well I don't have an HT this weekend so thats going to be hard but if all goes well I will have these Arcam units at some stage. Keep you posted.

Ps. Love that Widescreen review ;x(

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

You clearly have a new love (or lust) in your life

Sithlord,

Now it sounds to me as if you have already decided that the RSP-1098 is gone - all that is going to vary is whether you get a partial or full refund... Personally I think you will be very lucky to get a full refund - after all must be nearly 12 months old...

Still either way the lust of the Arcam twins is obvious in your heart....

You need to just go and pick them up for the weekend anyhow...

Worst case is you will have to sell the RSP-1098 once its fixed...

But I know from your post it is gone from your heart and would be wasted plugged into your system again...

It's Saturday tomorrow - the store will be open - that is what Credit Cards are for...

Help you discover those new dimensions....

Who knows - they may even lend you the ARCAMS on spec!

Geoff

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I fondly remember being young and having lots of disposable income. Then I screwed it all up and got married. Got old and broke REAL fast. :alol:

Enjoy the upgrades guys!!!! :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Sithlord
            • Aug 2004

Moving on to better things

Geoff in regards to the refund my argument is that I've had to return the unit twice for repair and thats not on in IMO within the 12 months of ownership. I have gotten full refunds twice for products not performing to their specs (Denon A11 and the Whise Profunder 319a subwoofer). Unfortunatly the Arcams are not in stock at the store as they are very new but if I ordered them today (Friday) I would have got them on Monday. I loved the 1098 but I always worry when I have mates over that the unit will stuff up at some point and I just don't want to risk it. Sure I have to outlay more money for the Arcams but I believe it will be money well spent in the long term. The hi-fi shop that I deal with are opening a brand new place which will have 6 dedicated sound rooms and they are having a special opening for their suppliers this Sunday. The manager from International Dynamics (importer who wont give me the refund ATM) will be there and the bosses son who I deal with only will have a word with him regarding the refund. I've told the shop that I wont accept anything less than a full refund and they have always accommadated me. Worst case I will accept a new unit give it to the shop they sell it get the money and I'm home free. I will be ordering the DV29 DVD player tomorrow regardless as it will clearly be better than the Marantz if thats possible. Can't wait to try it out and see the difference. I'll let you know how it goes. Received your cable as well so thank you very much for that. For some reason I thought you lived in Sydney :roll: and was concerned that it hadn't arrived.

Comment

• BladeRnR
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by David Meek
              I fondly remember being young and having lots of disposable income. Then I screwed it all up and got married. Got old and broke REAL fast. :alol:

Enjoy the upgrades guys!!!! :T
              Sithlord and I have yet to make that....'journey' yet :P

Came close once but now I'm late 30's and enjoy the freedom too much. It might change one day but *shrugs* that's only when we've reached total HT nirvana :T Oh and when I own a 1970 Dodge Challenger 426 Hemi :P

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Sithlord,

Be weak - you know you want to!
                I will be ordering the DV29 DVD player tomorrow regardless as it will clearly be better than the Marantz if thats possible. Can't wait to try it out and see the difference.
                Taken with:
                Worst case I will accept a new (RSP-1098 ) unit, give it to the shop, they sell it get the money and I'm home free.
                Sounds like:
                "I'm ordering both of them tomorrow and picking them up Monday" to me...

You'll have to let us know if you enter the whole new dimension of sound the Widescreen reviewers found when you install it!
                :dothewave:

PS - Good luck with the 100% refund - you obviously have a "special way" with the store that most of us don't! :lovestory:

Geoff

Comment

• Sithlord
                  • Aug 2004

The review says: "New Alternate World" thank you :W . I wish I could get them tomorrow but without the refund it will be impossible unless I can sell my fridge and perhaps Bladernrs computer...hmmm . Unfortunalty he's chained himself to the computer so thats not an option.

Ps. Resistance is futile :assimilate:

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2003

Sithlord,

What condition are Bladerunner's Kidneys...

They say US $50K is the going rate...

Think of the upgrade posibilities...

Besides - you can still live a perfectly normal life with one kidney...

Geoff

Comment

• Sithlord
                      • Aug 2004

Already done. Bladernr is soaking in the bath filled with ice cubes unaware that he wont be able to drink for the rest of his life.. . But hey look what I get to buy. Oops did you say one kidney :E

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2003

Sithlord,

1 Kidney...

Now you can live quite well with 1 kidney and a little care in the diet...

= $50K

At the rate you upgrade...

I reckon the relationship with Bladerunner is going to get (shall we say) "a little strained" in about a year's time... :twisted:

Geoff

Comment

• Sithlord
                          • Aug 2004

Oh well the price you pay for better equipment. Umm the ambo just arrived the guy has asked me what happened and I just handed him the spec sheet for the Arcam twins. All is well :rofl:

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2003

Sithlord,

Isn't it good when you unexpectedly find someone like the Ambo guy who's really into home theatre!!

PS - Does the Ambo guy look like he has good kidneys?

.... just planning ahead .... :twisted:

Geoff

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Wow! :E Jealous and extremely happy for you. Man I wish you lived closer so I could come and hear it! :drool:

David, while I'm not married, (that's mostly due to lack of money due to buying our house), I pretty much know exactly what you mean. :lol:

Jason
                              Jason

Comment

• Sithlord
                                • Aug 2004

Geoff do you still have friends come over to your house? Do you demo your gear to them and say "Well it's not bad but what I really want is just out reach but I hear you get good money for kidneys" :twisted:

I'm pushing blade around in a bucket atm it's amazing how much you get for body parts these days 8O . At least he wont take up too much room in the lounge room. :T

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"