X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpaik
    • Feb 2004

2 channel and HT integration?

All, I need some help. The scenario:

- decent, vintage 2-channel pre-amp (Perreaux) and amp (B&K ST-140)

- small-ish listening room (300 sq. ft. approx)

- buying new plasma, dumping the HTIB audio bought for a direct-view CRT

- a/v: 60% DVD, + HD & SD from cableco (which finally sends 5.1 to cable box); 40% CD & vinyl

- there is no 2nd. room in house for 2-channel by itself

the challenge:

- can I integrate the pre-amp and amp I now have, with an inexpensive "a/v receiver", so I can have the best of both worlds?

- should I throw in the towel and buy separates (pre/pro + amp) or an a/v receiver of "audiophile quality" (and that's a touchy term, I know!)

I have to avoid too many pieces of equipment, but I would prefer not to sell the 2-channel amplification gear.

I have not searched the forum thoroughly, so apologies if this subject has been discussed to death already.

Thanks for any help.

J.
  • Bruce
    • Aug 2000

I have been listening to a similiar 2-channel/5.1 system integration for the last 5 years.

The key is having an HT processor/receiver with preouts for the L&R main channels.

My 2-channel system:
    • CD player L&R analog-out --> 2-channel preamp CD analog-in
    • TT preamp L&R analog-out --> 2-channel preamp AUX1 analog-in
    • FM tuner L&R analog-out --> 2-channel preamp tuner analog-in
    • 2-channel preamp analog-out --> 5-channel amp L&R analog-in (could also be your current stereo amp)

My HT system:
    • DVD player digital-out --> HT processor/receiver digital-in
    • HT processor/receiver L&R analog-out --> 2-channel preamp AUX2 analog-in
    • HT processor/receiver center analog-out --> 5-channel amp center analog-in (or rcvrs internal center amp)
    • HT processor/receiver L&R surround analog-out --> 5-channel amp L&R surround analog-in (or rcvrs internal L&R surround amps)
    • HT processor/receiver sub analog-out --> powered subwoofer (actually I don't use this, but do something completely different)

In this configuration, you don't need to turn on the DVD player or HT processor/receiver when listening to 2-channel music.

By the way this causes no problems for HT speaker calibration, as you simply use the calibration DVDs or receiver's internal test tones the same way you normally would, except you first adjust the 2-channels preamp volume control to produce the 75dB (or 85dB) SPL calibration levels for the L&R main speakers. Many times this will be the 12 o'clock position for the 2-channel preamp's volume control (a position that is also called unity gain). This simply means the volume control is neither boosting or cutting the input signal.

Some people are lucky and have a 2-channel preamp with something called an HT bypass switch (this simply bypasses the volume control of the 2-channel preamp).

The one caution, 2-channel preamp's volume control positioning. For HT I use 12 o'clock, but for 2-channel I use 9 o'clock.
    Bruce

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"