X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

7.1 or 6.1 - what would you choose?

OK - due to a small change in my gear, I am now looking at two possible scenarious and I am having a difficult time choosing between the two.

I have for a long time been running my HT in a 7.1 configuration, but I have recently changed my centerspeaker and now its just laying around, doing nothing - So I was thinking about taking down my two rear speaker (B&W DS6) and replacing them with the center speaker. That would allow me to bi-amp my new center speaker, giving that small extra inch we are all looking for. The question now is if I will be missing the two rear speakers...

So - scenario A: Keep the 7.1 config and be happy. Try to sell the old center speaker and hopefully get more funds for the next un-avoideble upgrade

Scenario B: Replace the two rear speakers with the old center speaker (of good quality) - that is go to a 6.1 configuration. Bi-amp my new center speaker with two channels from my 1095, sell the DS6 speakers and get some funny money towards the next upgrade...

What would you do?? (And NO - I am will not be using two centers up front!)

Should mention I have a large HT room - but you can see that in the show your HT in the Rotel section..

Oh - there is of curse a scenario C - Buy a new power amp and bi-amp the new center, and sell the old one.. But dont really like that option..
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I'm a 6.1 guy for now but as titles become available in 7.1, may move to this setup. But I think it will be a while before that happens.
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Elmac
      • Apr 2004

My 2 cents
      Go with 7.1 I think 7.1 will give you higher resolution
      Elmac
      All HT Signals Processed by D2 for Ultimate Experience

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Hi,

If you have Dolby ProLogic IIx then 7.1 is definitely worth it as IIx will create quite separate sounds for the 2 centre rears, even from 5.1 and 6.1 material - very impressive...

Geoff

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

If you are still utilizing your RSP-1066 as your pre-pro, then I would go 6.1. However, as Geoff stated if you have DoProIIx then 7.1 is the real deal, I highly recommend it. I definitely enjoy what Dolby has done with 7.1 :T :T .

Just my quick thoughts,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

How wide is your room?

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

Andrew

Room size: 9x6x3.5 meters, so it is a big room..

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

The biggest reason, IMO, to keep 7.1 instead of regressing to 6.1 is the pyschoacoustic effect noted by some whereby the sounds coming from a single speaker at the rear seem to be coming from the front, instead. Kind of blows the whole "surround sound"effect. That would probably negate any perceived benefits you would gain from biamping the center. With two speakers slightly apart, that illusion doesn't occur.

A room 29.5 feet by 19.7 feet by 11.5 feet is a BIG room! In a room that size, you definately have the space to make great use of a full 7.1 configuration. I'm enjoying 7.1 in a much smaller room -- 18 by 16 by 12 feet at the peak of a cathedral ceiling that starts at 8 foot walls -- translation into metric: I'm enjoying 7.1 in a much smaller room -- 18 by 16 by 12 feet at the peak of a cathedral ceiling that starts at 8 foot-high walls (translation into metric: 5.5 meters by 4.9 meters by 3.66 meters at the peak of a cathedral ceiling that starts at 2.44 meter-high walls). I wouldn't want to go back to either 6.1 or 5.1 at this point, unless I had to set up my HT using my old receiver in a broom closet. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• aarsoe
                  • May 2004

Hmm - Much the same thinking I had - however reading all the fine print on DD-EX it seems like there is nothing called 7.1 It is infact a 6.1 and then you can "stretch" the rear channel over two speakers. The same is true when it comes to DTS - so infact there is no such thing as 7.1 from a source point of view.. (as I recall the DVD media wont even support the needed data rate to have full 7.1 channels in one track)
                  To quote Arsenio.... Things that makes you go hmmmmmmmm....

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2003

Aarsoe,

Dolby Digital EX does only have a single centre channel which is matrix encoded - this can be played back identically on 2 rear speakers in a 7.1 system (hence THX suggesting 2 close centre rear speakers).

However IIx will take any 5.1 source (including EX) and create 2 separate different centre rear channels, giving much smoother rear panning. This difference on a good DVD track (e.g. Terminator 3 in DD EX is amazing - much better rear localisation...

See HERE for more info from Dolby

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"