X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeanP
    • May 2004

12v triggered power bars

Does anyone know if they make 12v triggered power bars?
    I have a new/used Rotel amp coming but doesn't have the "12v trigger power on" on it. I want to have it come on automatically when I turn on my reciever. This way it makes it more WAF friendly with less buttons to push on just to watch a movie. She complains about every new component I add that she has to turn this on and turn that on, set this and set that...

I looked at Monster stuff but was unable to define if they have a product.

Thanks Dean
  • ht_addict
    • Dec 2002

Depends on how much you want to spend. The Monster HTS5000mkII has timedelay switched outlets that you can use to turn on and off your amp. This is what I use to turn on my NAD S250.

ht_addict

Comment

• DeanP
      • May 2004

Yeah,that one is a bit pricey! :cry: Maybe there is another option avaiable...

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

DeanP,

I had the same issue with my system (Rotel 1068 pre with 1095 amp w/no triggers). I have bought a Niles Audio AC-3 Voltage triggered outlet module (about $125, stock#FG00242). These are rated at 1500 watts, so it can handle the load. Cut of one end of a mini plug and insert it into the trigger section of the AC-3 (follow the intructions). It the miniplug is stereo, you will need to twist the red and black together and put them in the positive input. Put the ground into the negative input. This works great for me and my wife likes it also.

Comment

• ht_addict
          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by DeanP
          The buy used if possible. There is one forsale on canuckaudiomart for $500CDN from a guy in BC. Definitely worth the look.

ht_addict

Comment

• DrJRapp
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by DeanP
            Dean
            My Monster HTS 3600 has 12v trigger control of the amp outlets. It cost me about $275 and has the added benifit of doing a better than decent job of cleaning up the ac. Maybe even some of the lessor Monster models may do the job you seek. I would check their website.
            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• DeanP
              • May 2004

Thanks for all the replies! I bought the used Rotel for $200 CAN, so to spend above that for a power bar is just not worth it.
              I've been thinking of building my own switch bar by using a relay with a 12v coil to switch the 120v thru. I work on aircraft that does the same thing to keep the high power out of the cockpit. I will research the net to see what I can find. As far getting the power clean, ThomasW has a project on the go for this.

Comment

• Spearmint
                • Sep 2004

I use a remote controlled portable power point, and programmed the on/off sequence into my programmable remotes macro.

It works a treat!
                Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• DeanP
                  • May 2004

a remote controlled portable power point
                  What brand was this? I found a remote controlled outlet at Wal Mart for outdoor lighting which handles 15a 1400w(?). I' don't clearly remember the wattage, it is a bit fuzzy in my memory. I figure this might work as long as my 8 in 1 remote can pick up the signal...
                  any comments before I try and design a 12v/120v relay power bar?

Comment

• Spearmint
                    • Sep 2004

Hi Dean

The unit I am using is manufactured by HPM and sold here in Australia. Off hand it wasn't expensive, and hasn't missed a beat in over 2 years.

The one you are looking at from Wal Mart should work okay, all depends on if you like the look of the unit. I keep mine behind my speakers with the unit visible between the gap. Basically you don't see the unit from the seating position, but the remote can hit it thru the gap.

Dick
                    Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"