X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • number17
    • Jul 2004

Finally put my system together!

Hi folks,

I was so glad that I received my receiver on friday that I had the whole long wkend to set up my system. My system is as follows:

Toshiba 57HX83 RPTV
    Marantz 5300 receiver
    LG 7382 (Zenith 318 ) DVD player
    JM Labs Chorus series 5.1 speakers (715 L+R, CC700, 705 satellites, and SW700)

I calibrated the system with the Radio Shack dB meter, and further verified with my ears. After calibration, the front speakers are only +/- 1 dB but the rear speakers are at +6 ~ +7 dB. Is that an acceptable range? The layout of my room doesn't allow for the ideal placement of the rear speakers. Instead of placing the satellite speakers to the L and R of the listening positions I have to put them 9' behind the listening position. I've attached the layout of my room below ... the "B" location is what I've picked for my rear speakers for now.

Another interesting thing is, reading the JM Labs' manual they recommend setting all speakers to "LARGE". That's kindda weird especially considering the rear 705 speakers are spec'ed down to 65Hz only, and the center only 61Hz. The front tower speakers do go down to 45Hz. I wouldn't normally set the speakers to large with these speakers.

I tried 3 different settings: 1. Setting all to small, 2. Setting all to large, and 3. Setting the towers to large and everything else to small ... and it seems like JM Labs do know their speakers because the best setting seems to be everything in "Large", while I set the cross-over freq. of the sub to 80Hz. Is this normal?

There is another reason why it might not be such a bad idea to set everything to 'Large" though, because reading the manual of the SR5300 it seems like the bass management fixes the cross-over to 100Hz when you use the SMALL speaker setting ... and everywhere I read on the web it states the crossover freq. for the 5300 is 80Hz, not 100 ... nevertheless that's what the manual says.

Anyways after I got the system calibrated I tested some music CD's / DVD's ... I started with Diana Krall's Concert in Paris DVD, followed by a few CD's from Rock to jazz to classical. The system sounds great. The speaker + receiver seems to be a good combination and I'm glad I didn't pick a denon receiver. The JM Labs chrous speakers are a tad on the bright side and good thing the Marantz is not. After playing with the alignment of the speakers it seems to have got some of the brightness out of the way ... the speakers are very musical and have good depth and good resolution to it.

Afterwards I tested a few movies. I started with the war scene in "The last samurai", followed by "The Gladiator" (Superbit), "X-2", "Driven" and "Star Wars". I was happy with the system for movies. There's a lot of details and dynamics to it. The left to right pans are nicely done, while the pans from front to back is not as smooth. This is especially apparent in the race scenes in Star Wars and Driven. This probably has something to do with the placement of my rear speakers.

I also thought the high end could be a little crisper ... in the coin toss scene of Driven, and in the first chapter of X-2 with bullet shells dropping, the high-end doesn't come out as much from the heavy bass background ... I may try to play with the alignment further and see if that helps.

As for the bass, it is tight, quick and adequate, despite the subwoofer is only 125W and only goes down to 35Hz. The sub sounded a little boomy though ... I wonder if it's because I place it too close to the corner? The sub also doesn't sit perfectly flat on the hardwood floor so maybe that has something to do with it too?

Overall despite the speakers aren't broken in yet I'm already very happy with the system. The Marantz does seem to be a little better for music than movies, but I still found myself re-watching my DVD collection late at night with the new system ... that says it all.
    Attached Files
  • SpOoNmAn
    • Sep 2003

The levels are fine, do it again in a few weeks after everything is settled in.

My Halo C2 did the calibration with the microphone, and it ended up with the front 3 at +2, and the surrounds at +7. I then did it with the sound meter and it was dead on.

Room acoustics play a role, dont forget that.

congrats on the new toys, I just received my CATcable from Doug so I need to get off this pc and play!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
    GameTracker -My List-
    Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Congrats on the new toys!
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• number17
        • Jul 2004

Thanks guys.

So +6/+7 dB is still normal for satellite speakers eh? Somehow the front to rear pan just doesn't seem as natural as the L to R pan ... and I thought maybe it has something to do with placement of the rear speakers. Then again, it could be the acoustics of the room, and maybe even the tonal difference of the F + R speakers.

I could try increasing the power to the rear speakers but don't think that'll come out too natural. I could also try moving the rear speakers but don't have too many options because of the layout of the room.

In the meantime I'll prob do nothing and just let the speakers break in first ... maybe that'll already improve it.

I have another question though. The tower speakers + subwoofer already have rubber feet ... do you still put in the metal spikes if it's sitting on hardwood floor?

The tower speakers are balanced but where the subwoofer sits the floor isn't completely flat. Should I put in the spikes and adjust the height to balance it?

Comment

• Elmac
          • Apr 2004

No you don't need to install spikes any more also try to use good setup dvd to get your sound levels correct. Don't use the spikes on the sub it will destroy your floor. Some speakers have adjustable rubber feet make sure yours don't, before blocking up your sub
          Elmac
          All HT Signals Processed by D2 for Ultimate Experience

Comment

• purplepeople
            • Aug 2004

Hi number17,

Ideally, the rear channels like to be around 110deg away from the center channel or about 20deg behind your sides. The engineer at the console in the studio will have his speakers set up this way so the mix will sound best reproduced this way. At the B position, they are closer to 160deg and this will change the soundstage of the rear channels, making them appear to be mono. This may also be causing the level difference as your ears are somewhat immune to sounds directly behind.

You might try putting the sub at the right side A position next to the fireplace. It might put you close enough that the LF reflections will be regarded as delayed enough to be ignored by your brain.

For a fun surround experience.... Spiderman Track 19... Osborn argues with the Goblin. Follow the bourbon glass.

ensen.
            Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• number17
              • Jul 2004

thanks for your comments purple people.

I did move my sub last night so that it sits between the R Front speaker and the TV. The boomy bass sound is gone now! I guess it was too close to the room's corner before.

You made a good point about the satellite speakers but again, the layout of my room limited me from the ideal positioning.

I could move the R satellite to the "A" position, because that is not in a high-traffic area.

I don't think there's anyway I could move the L satellite though ...

And I'd think if I just move the R satellite to the "A" position, but keep the L satellite in the "B" position that's just as bad ... if not worse. Do you agree?

Comment

• purplepeople
                • Aug 2004

I don't exactly know what the countertop looks like but I'm guessing that it is the usual 36-40" high. Also there looks to be a space between the breakfast window and the window to the side of the fireplace.

So here are two more ways you can try...

1) Try placing the one to the left of the sofa (slightly ahead of A) but low and pointing at the countertop so the reflection bounces high and the other at the corner of the breakfast window aimed at the wall. Since, delay, distance and levels are all inter-related, you can use the hard surfaces as both reflectors and dipole simulators. You'll lose some upper end but since these channels are mostly directional HF you can just boost the levels to compensate. You'll need your measuring tape and (ideally)also a protractor for this.

2) Or better yet, fly the surrounds on the ceiling and pointed at your head in the middle of the sofa. Position around the gap between the two windows and the other above the countertop. Don't be too alarmed at the downward angle... in most cases, you won't notice that the sound comes from above. If our horizon hearing was that good... then most people would notice that mono sounds are coming from above the TV and not from the people inside the image.

ensen.
                Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"