X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kkanumuri
    • Aug 2004

Cables & Subwoofer for B&W 804

I just finished setting up a set of 804's powered by a Rotel 1068 & 1095. The first impression is I need to tone down the highs and get some more Bass into the system. Has anyone had luck with a good subwoofer match, as well as any cables & interconnects which work well with these speakers. I could try all of them out, but with your expirience I was hoping I coul narrow down the search.
  • ekkoville
    • Aug 2004

I own a REL Strata sub, would direct you to at least take a look at them. The Strata and Storm series subs are very accurate and very musical. As for cables, it is becoming increasingly clear that catcables puts out quality and value that may be unmatched. Doug, aka Lex, may also have an opinion as he is the master of catcables.

Erik

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Yup, links at the bottome of the page

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• Claude D D
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by kkanumuri
        The first impression is I need to tone down the highs and get some more Bass into the system.
        That's a sweet system.But give your system a chance to break in properly before deciding on cables and final speaker placement.The 804's neeed an extended break in period.Some people report upwards of 200 hrs before they reach their true potential.The more you play them the more you should notice the highs smooth out and the bass deepen. :T

Comment

• ekkoville
          • Aug 2004

Claude,
          Could you explain, if you can, what a speaker goes through during this period. Are the drivers softening or the internals warming to break in, etc. This is something people overlook, like myself. Some may leave the dealer with a sub and not realize the needs they have.

Erik :T

Comment

• Claude D D
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by ekkoville
            Claude,
            Could you explain, if you can, what a speaker goes through during this period. Are the drivers softening or the internals warming to break in, etc. This is something people overlook, like myself. Some may leave the dealer with a sub and not realize the needs they have.

Erik :T
            I'm not a techy guy.But if you've ever seen a speaker driver disassembled you can get the idea how it functions.Like most mechanical devices a breakin or wear in time is usually require to meet optimal performance(develop a wear pattern,soften up driver surrounds etc.).Different people have varied theories on this subject.I if you do a search you could find some interesting results.For me I go by what I've heard first hand and from other people for whom I feel provide acurate info.Maybe some of the more tech orientated guys in the forum can elaborate on this subject.

Comment

• jlee
              • Aug 2004

I would recommend the Strata III or Stadium III by REL. The storm doesn't match well with the 804 based on my testing.

For cables, check out Harmonictech.com. I have all HT cables in my system after testing every cable my local dealer sells. They are very neutral and musical sounding. I have the Pro-11, Precision-Link, and Truth-Link throughout the system.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

I helped a friend set up his system --- Bryston SP 1.7 pre/pro, CineNova Grande 5 amp, B&W N804's, and he used a B&W ASW-600 sub and it sounded very nice. He had a small condo and his HT area was equally small but that combo sounded very nice in that arrangement.
                jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• kkanumuri
                  • Aug 2004

I tried the 600, I did not seem to really produce much for Music, but was fairly good for HT. Also, I have a relatively large room. I am reading a lot of good things about REL, but I have not been able to find a dealer in San Diego. I want to try those out. Anyone, had expirience with the new Strata 5. I am tryinng out Transparent Musiclinks and MUsicwave for speaker cable. It is sounding reasonably good, definitely reduced some of the harshness.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

I understand from reading various posts people rave about SVS. ADZ just picked up a VMPS that he is flippin' over (I might even give it a whirl).
                    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• kkanumuri
                      • Aug 2004

I tried out the Rel Strata III. It seems to match extremely well with the 804. I used transparent cables and it definitely seems to make a huge difference to the quality of music. Thanks for all the help guys. I finally think, I have the system I was trying to build.

Comment

• htsteve
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

kkanumuri,

I have the same setup as you do. I have a Martin Logan Depth subwoofer that matches very well. It's quite musical, and has enough muscle for HT. My room is not too large. If you have a large room, the larger Descent might be considered. I've been quite please with this sub. As for cables, buying one half of a good quality interconnect will work. HTH

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"