X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don
    • Feb 2003

DVD-2900 or DVD-2200

Any opinions from current users of these two players (pros and cons)?

I am thinking of getting the 2200 (cheaper) if it is close to performance as the 2900.

Thanks in advance.

Don
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

There was an earlier thread running around and in it, it was determined that the 2200 actually outperformed the 2900 in some areas - audio for one, I think. I thought I could find it quickly, but couldn't and as I'm at work. . . . Bottom line? If it was me, I go with the 2200 for now, and put the money saved away as a start on a HD-DVD unit next year.

As always, this is just my 2 cents. YMMV.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Ditto what he said :B :agree: You should be able to geta good deal on either too via clearance or used as Denon has new models coming out.

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Concur as well....
        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• dave
          • Aug 2003

Don,,,
          I hope that this may help you in your decision,
          believe it or not I just went through this very same dilema last weekend.
          I was able to bring home a 2200 for three days to put it through its
          paces and heres what I came up with.

The Video from both the 2200 & 2900 are pretty close, the 2900 has a bit
          more softness to the picture edges where as the 2200 has more detail around the edges.
          for the difference in price if you are mainly looking to buy a really good DVD Video player my vote would have to go to the 2200. They really and truly
          are that close

If your really a music NUT like I am (More than one htguider can attest to that) then you may want to consider the 2900.
          Heres the reason why, the 2900 uses two power supplies to handle all the duties put to it, one for the Video side and the other for the Audio side.
          Trust me when I say that you can hear an audiable difference. The music
          has more breath of life to it. Deeper soundstage, mind you this will vary
          depending on the type of system your running it through. for a system 3000
          dollars and up I would opt. for the 2900 when you consider for around 1000
          more dollars in the future the machine can be upgraded to stage one and from what I've heard that upgrade really enhances the players abilities in the
          audio end of things, this upgrade will put it in a whole different league.

You can pickup a 2200 for around 400 bucks and the 2900 for around 750 bucks. as for myself I chose the 2900 for it's build quality as well as the before mentioned nicer sound quality. :P hope this helps you out Don if you
          have any more questions feel free to ask. Ohhh one more thing, if you do opt.
          for either of these units be sure to turn off the digital side when listening to
          SACD it makes a difference!!! Have Fun!
          Dave...

Comment

• Don
            • Feb 2003

I am considering these players mainly for the hi-rez and perhaps cd playback if any good. So the 2900 might be the way to go.

On second thought, a new 2910 is coming out (not sure if a replacement for the 2900 or 2200) and the price is around 700 (as mentioned on some other forum). The 2900 is $699 at crutchfield. Should I wait for the new one or buy the 2900 now.

Don

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Don,

Wait for the new 2910 if you can (I am) - its specifications and build quality appear well up on the 2900... The consensus of a number of threads in this and other forums are that it is well worth waiting for unless you get the 2900 at a "soon to be obsolete" discount price ...

Geoff

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Good point Geoff. Don, if you can wait, maybe the 2910 is the way to go especially if your budget will allow it.

What pre/pro or receiver will you be using? Speakers?

Jim
                jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"