X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hoo Fighter
    • Aug 2004

Cambridge Audio 540D Thoughts/Problems

Hi,

This is my first post on this site. Hope you find it helpful. I've have had the CA 540D for about 2 months now. At first, I was thoroughly satisfied. Sharp looking unit, nice remote, musical sound, good picture, good value. I use it both to play movies and to play CD's and DVD-A's. My system is as follows:

2 pair Soliloquy 6.2
    1 Soliloquy C3 center (plan to add an S!- sub at some point in time)
    Aragon 3005 Amplifier
    Theta Casa Nova (can't wait for the Casa Nova II to come out to upgrade)

Anyway, for CD and movie play, the player has performed very well, except that one issue has arisen. DVD-A has introduced another issue.

The first issue, and I hope to hear if others are having the same problem, is that the unit overheats rather easily and stops playing. I have the unit above my amp, but below my preamp on a seperate shelf that is open in the from and the back. There is not much room above, or below the player. After 1-2 hours of playing at moderate or even low levels, the unit overheats (I'm assuming the laser is the problem) and it stops playing. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be a defective unit? I do plan on getting another stand which will be a little more open, but I am very surprised by this. On the other hnad, given the light weight, perhaps I shouldn't be. Something has to give for the low price, right?

Then second issue has become very annoying. I have 6 DVD-A's and the player will only play 2 of them. I contacted Audio Advisor (highly recommend them), who I bought the unit from, and they said CA was aware of the problem and working on a fix. Since the player is software upgradeable, this may not be a big problem, but it sure seems like one now!

All and all, given what I now know, I would not have purchased the unit. If the software upgrade addresses the DVD-A problem and the new stand addresses the overheating, then I'd change my opinion and go thumbs up as the unit does many things well.

Hoo Fighter
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sorry, no experience with the player, but that doesn't sound good IMO. As long as the clearance is around what is specified in your owner's manual, you shouldn't be experiencing this kind of heat buildup/shutdown. Having said that, setting it above the amp is going to put it in the hottest spot possible in your rack. The combination of the two units' heat output may be enough to trigger the shutdown. Test it with a small fan blowing across the player and see if that keeps it up. If so, the first thing I'd do is move the amp up and put the Cambridge below it. Then, if it still continues, I'd send the unit back and get another.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• theMaximus
      • Jul 2004

I've had mine for about one month and have not noticed any problem with heat. I do have the 540D on a glass shelf by itself with about 6" clearance on top and completely open back side. I have three DVD-A discs (Diana Krall, Metallica, etc...) and they all play just fine in both stereo and multi-channel.

The only problem I had with the player came after about 12 hours of nonstop CD playback. I don't normally use it as a CD Player since I have CA Azur 540C CD player I use for CD playback. I was playing CD in 540D to burn in my new Ecosse digital coax, and 540D started to make some clicking noise while the CD was still playing. When I turned it off and on again, the noise went away. It has been working fine since then.

I heard about some of the issue with DVD-A, and I requested my dealer for a replacement even though I have not experienced any problem so far. My dealer (Spearit Sound) informed me that the lot approved by Cambridge Audio should be available for shipping in a couple of weeks or sooner.
      Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• Hoo Fighter
        • Aug 2004

Thanks for the feedback. An update. I've heard that an upgrade CD will bwe available next week, so I'm guessing I'll see one in about 2 weeks. I have since purchased 2 more DVD-A's and they don't play either....very frustrating. Now, my main concern is the overheating. I'm going to place it in an open area and see what happens. I wish I had 6 inches of space in my system, but it's move like an inch....

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Hmm, you have it above your Aragon Amp, and below the preamp.

Sounds like the CD player isn't overheating by itself, but being baked by the power amp. I don't have any of the new HT model Aragons, though I do have a new set of Palladium 1K's, an original set of Palladiums, an 8008 X3, and an 8002. They ALL run pretty warm, and I wouldn't put a preamp or CD player on top or close by. Laser sleds are kind of sensitive to heat.

Try separating them; move the amps to a separate well ventiallated area, or move the CD player, just as an experiment. It COULD be some other problem with the CD player, but I wouldn't be surprised if this fixed the problem, at least temporarily.

Best regards,

Jon
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"