X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bluespower
    • Sep 2005

DVD/DVD-A Player Recommendations

I know this topic has been beaten to death but I really wouldn't mind hearing a few recommendations as I begin my quest (again). I'm in the market for a DVD/DVD-A player with audio quality being the prime consideration (a "universal" player with SACD could be considered even though I don't have any source material in that format). I don't need HDMI but it is not a deal breaker if it has it. I also have an RCD-1072 for CD playback so this deck is strictly for high res music / concert DVDs / videos.

Over the last several years I've owned a Marantz VC5400 and a Rotel RDV-1060 (The Rotel was clearly superior on all counts but circumstances forced me to sell off a few pieces of gear this last year). Well I'm now ready to buy again and want to see if there are any recommendations that I have not considered. I'd like to keep the price under $750 (street prices) and would consider buying used if the machine was known to have a decent reliability record. These are some that I'm considering:

Denon DVD-2900 - I've read some great comments about this unit. "Street prices" seem to be in the $400 range. I know it's a crap shoot when buying second hand, but at the "right" price it may be worth a gamble even if it ends up needing service. Has anyone here had experience with Denon repairs? Do they take you to the cleaners or treat you relatively fair?

Cambridge Audio 540D or DVD-89 - Neither of these models seem to have gotten the same level of praise that their Azur 640C deck has gotten (from an audio perspective).

Oppo OPDV971H or DV-97HD - These decks seem to be wonderful for video but only so-so for audio.

Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi - Haven't had much of a chance to research this one yet.

What am I overlooking? I'd love to have the sound of the Rotel but am not willing to pony up for the RDV-1092 and am uncomfortable with another RDV-1060 that is out of warranty.
    Bluespower
  • meltdown
    • Apr 2006

Audio DVD

You might try to lisen to the Marantz 7600 or 6600. The 7600 plays SACD as well as DVD Audio, ditto for the 6600. But the 7600 has the HDAM option, which in my opinion brings out a better quality audio sound. I have an older Player with this option and it sounds great. Price for the 7600 though is around a grand the 6600 is half of that.

Comment

• dvda-sacd
      • Jun 2006

Marantz DV7001

The forthcoming Marantz DV7001 looks a fine option.

Regards.
      Poll: What is your favorite audio format?

Comment

• theMaximus
        • Jul 2004

It seems like you are looking at $400~$500 range. I have both Denon DVD-2910 and Cambridge Audio Azur 540D. IMO, the Denon sounds much better than 540D. Not that price and performance is proportional, but Denon costs twice the 540D, and the fact that Denon sounds better shouldn't surprise anyone. Also, Denon also plays SACD, which is a huge plus since though limited as both DVD-Audio and SACD selections are, there are more SACD releases than DVD-Audio since Sony only backs SACDs.

On the video side, there is no comparison. Denon can upconvert to 720p or 1080i even though it is only through HDMI. I bought the Cambridge Audio first and then bought DVD-2910 because of the improvement in picture quality it brought over Azur 540D.

The only advantage for 540D is that it is price (price came down a lot since I bought it) and the fact that it is region free right out of the box. Denon is not region free from the factory but can be easily made so with a remote control trick or firmware change.

Someone can tell you that you should get Krell, Meridian, etc.. which no doubt would be better than any of the players you mentioned, but seems like at the price point you are looking at, Denon seems like a solid choice. DVD-2910 goes for $699 MSRP, but you can find refurbished units that still cary warranty for far less than that from authorized dealers or find used one on eBay since there are a lot of people who have them.
        Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• alebonau
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by dvda-sacd
          The forthcoming Marantz DV7001 looks a fine option.

Regards.
          looks certainly very nice and one sure to keep in mind
          "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Bluespower
            • Sep 2005

Thanks for your input.

One day after posting my question I found a Denon DVD-3800 in my price range on eBay with a "Buy it now" option. The cool part is that the guy was 15 miles from my house. I was able to visit him and see the deck in operation before closing the deal.

I set it up last night an was able to do some limited testing (it will be a while before I have everything dialed in). First impressions are "Wow". This IS a very nice deck. The video is excellent and the sound (both digital and analog) is superb. I don't think it gives up anything to my previous RDV-1060. I think I'm going to be very pleased with the new member of the family.
            Bluespower

Comment

• chinets
              • Jun 2005

to me,
              Try the Marantz DV 9600 that has remarkable redbook, Excellent DVD-A and SACD,HDCD and the best picture in DVD that money can buy!!!
              Look it up and let me know. You won't be sorry ,it's a keeper.
              Mind you ,it is not cheap, but it is perfect. In Audio I would rank it with the best and I believe it is the best Universal player In the world right now IMHO!!!
              Let your ears be the judge and you will see the Audio Nirvana God!!
              Cheers,
              Chinets

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"